Buying used tanks old tanks and paint ball tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok,

I know own the tank! He said if it doesn't pass to call him as he has no intent to sell something that is no good. :D

It appears that he last had it visually inpsected by my dive shop last year "if I"m reading the sticker correct". However it does appear to be out of hydro.

Mfg date is 1996

Best of all it's PINK:dork2:

My daughter will be the official owner of this tank and I will just have to use it until she can!

Congratulations to your daughter for her new tank.

How old is your daughter? Don't scratch it up Daddy!

My Granddaughters are 2yrs 8mos, and 6 mos today! I have a pink dive knife that I am saving for them. And NO - I don't use it. :)

I'm looking at a new set of regs for my granddaughters. Just kidding. :)

Oh my goodness, you are really going to use it? We all give my divebuddy such a hard time about his yellow Apollo Split Fins - but they do show up (especially important in our murky waters and when dropped) much better than my black ScubaPro Jets & my black Apollo Splits. Everybody will see you coming, but will anyone claim you for their "buddy"? :D

She's 9 gonna be 10 this June. And insisting that the pink tank is mine and the yellow tank is her's.

Don't Scratch it up? Heck even my wife asked "can you take the paint off"?

No I will wear my pink tank with pride. And when folks ask I'll talk about how I only spent 25 dollars on it.:ppd:

What do you mean, "squareness of the sides"?

Matt, during the VIP, a straight edge is run from top of the tank to the bottom to see if the sides have bulged or concaved. This could indicate overpressure or other damage to the cylinder.

When performing this task, any substantial light under the ruler will reveal potential damage or weakness in the cylinder. I view it as squareness since the measuring is to determine a bulge. Perhaps square is not the perfect terminology...if you have a better term, let me know.

Matt, during the VIP, a straight edge is run from top of the tank to the bottom to see if the sides have bulged or concaved. This could indicate overpressure or other damage to the cylinder.

When performing this task, any substantial light under the ruler will reveal potential damage or weakness in the cylinder. I view it as squareness since the measuring is to determine a bulge. Perhaps square is not the perfect terminology...if you have a better term, let me know.

Interesting, I've never heard of that, and my LDS does nothing like it. (no surprise there, I guess.) It kind of makes sense to me, but considering that substantially less than 100CC of total expansion is "normal" for most scuba tanks at test pressure, which is way above anything that the tank should be subjected to outside of a test chamber, I wold think that any visible bulge while the tank is empty would be the result of some pretty serious damage that would be picked up otherwise.

I am planning on a PSI class at some point, I need to learn more about tank inspection.

Alot of good info here, one thing I have not seen mentioned about refinished AL tanks is MAKE SURE THE TANK IS HAS NOT BEEN POWDERCOATED. If it has been powdercoated it was "baked" to cure the coating and exposing an aluminum tank to extended high temp with weaken it substantially.

I don't think a tank that had been powdercoated would pass hydro, but I do not know for sure.

PS: I think you got a good deal on a good tank

Interesting, I've never heard of that, and my LDS does nothing like it. (no surprise there, I guess.) It kind of makes sense to me, but considering that substantially less than 100CC of total expansion is "normal" for most scuba tanks at test pressure, which is way above anything that the tank should be subjected to outside of a test chamber, I wold think that any visible bulge while the tank is empty would be the result of some pretty serious damage that would be picked up otherwise.

I am planning on a PSI class at some point, I need to learn more about tank inspection.

You have to be careful with the bulge/concave thing. During the extrusion process the tank may come out with a very slight curve to it. If you put a straight edge on it it may indicate a bulge on one side and be concave on the opposite side and vice versa. This is normal and not a reason to reject a tank. I would be most concerned if it had a bulge on all sides.

You have to be careful with the bulge/concave thing. During the extrusion process the tank may come out with a very slight curve to it. It is hard to extrude anything and have it come out of the extrusion dies perfectly straight. If you put a straight edge on it it may indicate a bulge on one side and be concave on the opposite side and vice versa. This is normal and not a reason to reject a tank. I would be most concerned about a bulge all around all sides.

As Captain said, a bow is not necessarily reason to condemn a tank. See Luxfer's VISUAL INSPECTION GUIDE http://www.luxfercylinders.com/downloads/docs/scubaguide.pdf
section 4A. Also see the picture on page 64 for an example of a bowed tank that is perfectly acceptable.

c

Last edited:
You have to be careful with the bulge/concave thing. During the extrusion process the tank may come out with a very slight curve to it. It is hard to extrude anything and have it come out of the extrusion dies perfectly straight. If you put a straight edge on it it may indicate a bulge on one side and be concave on the opposite side and vice versa. This is normal and not a reason to reject a tank. I would be most concerned about a bulge all around all sides.

That's exactly what I was thinking, and wondering about when I commented that I had never heard about the straight edge test as part of the VIP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom