Buying used tanks old tanks and paint ball tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are a 1990 or newer ALuminum tank refilll kinda of place.

The point about the serial # was meerly a way I was able to deduce the fact that it was at least a 1993 or newer tank even though I could not see the original hdyro date.

I think $25 would be a good price if the seller will guarantee that it will pass hydro and VIP, and will give you a refund of the sale price if it fails.

I'm trying to take some of the mystification out of tanks.

If they guy was a paintballer and not cave diving getting over filled. If it's sitting with 1000 psi since the last fill, and 3 years out of hydro which means it's been at least 3 years since it's been filled and thus basically not used. He's all grown up now and not playing paintball any more.

Clearly it has not been refinished to hide anything. What truely are the other risks that would jeopordize an aluminum tank.

If I understand correctly at this point I would be looking for IMPACTS to the tank and or valve?

I'm trying to take some of the mystification out of tanks.

If they guy was a paintballer and not cave diving getting over filled. If it's sitting with 1000 psi since the last fill, and 3 years out of hydro which means it's been at least 3 years since it's been filled and thus basically not used. He's all grown up now and not playing paintball any more.

Clearly it has not been refinished to hide anything. What truely are the other risks that would jeopordize an aluminum tank.

If I understand correctly at this point I would be looking for IMPACTS to the tank and or valve?

For $25, I don't see how you could go wrong. The tanks should be worth close to $20 as scrap metal. Only catch would be the cost of the hydro & vis if it fails and such a failure is very unlikely.

Sweet and I just found a place that does hydro, vip, and fill for $30

SWING!
:D

Now all I need is about 3 more tanks like that one and I should be good for a weekend!

off the top of my head:
neck/thread cracks
isolated interior or exterior pitting >0.060"
general corrosion >15% of the interior surface and >0.020" depth
illegal side wall markings
bulges
worn or corroded threads
corroded sealing surface (can be resurface if you can find someone with the tool)

How do you approach older tanks and or paint ballers tanks to see if they are even worth considering for purchase? Or do you not even go there because the risk of not passing the needed to test is too great?

For example There is a paintballser tank that Little A5 over 95 with a big 2 in front (or to the left) of it and big 02 behind it (or to the right). Thats all he knows and he's only used it for paintball and bought it from a paintballer. But had it filled at my local dive shop though it's been a few years.

Now this guy is asking he is willing to get current hydro and VIP from a dive shop I trust then is a tank worth $90

About this tank. Have him take it to your dive shop for the hydro and VIP. If it passes, and he accepts $90 for it - you're in luck (maybe - but I wouldn't touch it!). Chances are, other scuba places may not fill this tank and you will never get it to pass hydro again. So the question is: Is this 5 year tank worth $90? If it was me - I would say no.

Frankly, the time and hassle to "save" $100 on a questionable "bargain" is foolish. You can buy a new Luxfer Al80 tank from DiveRite (shipping included) for $189.00, and Catalinas for $200.00. I bet your local dive shop will match that price. My LDS is selling them for $200.00. That is for a brand new tank that everyone will fill and will pass a number of future hydros.

Now, if this was a Steel HP 3442 100 in hydro for $175.00 (which I have seen and bought and foolish hesitation let 2 slip from my grasp), I would say grab it (steal it), but by the time you got my reply - it would be gone. :)

I don't buy Aluminums anymore, as I have enough for my skinny instructor son to use (I have extra "flotation" and use steels). My top price was, and would be, $75.00 for an Aluminum tank in its original hydro (less than 5 years old). And $50.00 for a tank less than 10 years old that had just been hydro'd.

And what would cause those things to happen.

They just happen.

A "few" years ago I had a beautiful cherry red tank that everyone (including my LDS) knew it would pass hydro - and it did. However, upon closer inspection, before putting the valve back it, they found tiny cracks in the neck. My LDS gave me a deal/close to cost, new aluminum 80. I bought another at full price. A few hydros later, I'm still using these tanks - in fact just yesterday my dive buddy borrowed them while his were being hydro'd.

Ok,

I now own the tank! He said if it doesn't pass to call him as he has no intent to sell something that is no good. :D

It appears that he last had it visually inpsected by my dive shop last year "if I"m reading the sticker correct". However it does appear to be out of hydro.

Mfg date is 1996

Best of all it's PINK:dork2:

My daughter will be the official owner of this tank and I will just have to use it until she can!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom