Buying used/new equipment on eBay/craigslist...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the reply! So the way I chose these particular items was by visiting a local dive shop and speaking with them for an hour or two. I tried on stuff to find out what sizes would fit me and tried to learn as much as possible about the features.

Talking to a Dive Shop for a couple of hours ,trying on their stuff and then buying it off Ebay is just tacky and an excellent way to piss off the LDS.

Craigslist and Ebay are great if you know what you are doing. Probably safer to start with Scubaboard though.

Lose the Spare Air. Please.

Do you know if there's any other brands/models I should definitely look at that are similar in quality (especially the BCD)?
I'd look at the DiveRite Transpac II and Zeagle Ranger also.
I imagine it's pretty nice to be able to glance over and immediately know important information about your dive.
It is nice, but if you're on a budget, you should consider that it isn't necessary. Most of my dives are executed without a computer... all you NEED to know is time, depth, pressure, and how to use a table. My computer flooded recently, and replacing it isn't a high priority for me.
As far as the Air Source II, the guys at the shop said they really liked it compared to the octo... What are the advantages/disadvantages?
It introduces additional task loading during emergencies, as you're going to have to both breathe and control buoyancy from that device simultaneously while sharing air and ascending. It can be done, but definately requires practice. Personally, I prefer a regular 2nd stage regulator as a backup. Keep it simple.
So if the Spare Air ain't such a good idea, wouldn't it be a good idea to have SOME sort of fully independent air source? Does a pony system seem like a good idea? Or is it just too bulky for everyday dives?
Yes, it's a good idea to have redundant gas supply, although you probably don't need one at this stage in your diving. Yes, a pony can be a good idea. I use a "stage mounted" 40 cubic foot aluminium tank with an independant regulator on some dives, and I hardly notice it. I wouldn't say it's bulky at all... at least, not underwater.
There is a Black Diamond BCD that I'm looking at buying online... The seller said it's 6yrs old and has 50 dives. He also said it shows no signs of wear or discoloration. What do you think it's worth?
40% to 60% of retail... depending on how good a haggler you are.

I think ianr33 makes a valid point. Walking into a store for advice and support when you have no intention of spending money there isn't a very good way to put yourself in their good graces.

Talking to a Dive Shop for a couple of hours ,trying on their stuff and then buying it off Ebay is just tacky and an excellent way to piss off the LDS.

Craigslist and Ebay are great if you know what you are doing. Probably safer to start with Scubaboard though.

Lose the Spare Air. Please.

I am paying the dive shop for my classes and I do plan to buy some stuff there... I just can't afford to throw down several thousand... I think it's fair. I do have about 5 years experience with eBay, so I'm not too concerned with that directly. My concerns are mostly centered around the fact that I'm relatively unfamiliar with SCUBA gear, so I don't really know what to look for with respect to components/areas that wear out. If I was buying new, then I wouldn't be concerned, but if buying used I'd like to be able to ask the seller questions that will make sure I'm informed about what I'm buying.

Thanks for the reply! So the way I chose these particular items was by visiting a local dive shop and speaking with them for an hour or two. I tried on stuff to find out what sizes would fit me and tried to learn as much as possible about the features.

And you think you are going to return to this shop with all this same gear you bought online and be greeted with a warm smile? Classes are loss leaders in the hope you'll buy gear.

Be advised that manufacturer warranties and "free parts" programs do not transfer to secondary owners. You are buying gear that will have no warranty.

If you buy used gear online I'd suggest buying from actual scuba divers, not online pawn shops and dumpster divers.

You don't need all this crap starting out. You don't even know what you are going to like yet. If you don't want to rent or borrow awhile, get something more midstream and basic. Lose the Spare Breath.

I'd look at the DiveRite Transpac II and Zeagle Ranger also.

It is nice, but if you're on a budget, you should consider that it isn't necessary. Most of my dives are executed without a computer... all you NEED to know is time, depth, pressure, and how to use a table. My computer flooded recently, and replacing it isn't a high priority for me.

It introduces additional task loading during emergencies, as you're going to have to both breathe and control buoyancy from that device simultaneously while sharing air and ascending. It can be done, but definately requires practice. Personally, I prefer a regular 2nd stage regulator as a backup. Keep it simple.

Yes, it's a good idea to have redundant gas supply. Yes, a pony can be a good idea. I use a "stage mounted" 40 cubic foot aluminium tank with an independant regulator on some dives, and I hardly notice it. I wouldn't say it's bulky at all... at least, not underwater.

40% to 60% of retail... depending on how good a haggler you are.

I think ianr33 makes a valid point. Walking into a store for advice and support when you have no intention of spending money there isn't a very good way to put yourself in their good graces.

Thanks a lot for the info! Like I just posted a moment ago, I AM paying them for my classes and some of the gear like fins, snorkel, etc... So I doubt they'll be that annoyed by it. They also know I'm a student, so I would think they'd be somewhat understanding of my situation.

The only thing I wouldn't get is the AIR 2, most people I know have problem with them sooner or later, and they are not standard which make them hard to deal with (for others) in case of an emergency. Get a regular octo, it's cheaper and, easier and in my opinion safer. I don't know that many recreational divers that actually dive to 132 ft, so the whole argument against getting a spaire air is silly at best. I wouldn't get spaire air for myself because a 6cf/9cf or even a 13cf pony with a reg would be about the same price, but I do think that for 99% of your diving it would be fine.

BCD: SeaQuest Black Diamond
Regulator: AquaLung Legend LX

If I were you, I'd just worry about these things to start out. As you gain experience, you'll figure out for yourself what you need and what you don't. There's no need to feel you should spend your limited resources on more than the minimal gear you need to start diving safely, and you've already been exposed to all of the basics in your certification class. Maybe add a whistle and pair of EMT shears to that, for safety's sake.

In other words, if you haven't already used it, you probably don't need it yet.

If I had a dollar for every dollar I wasted on scuba gear I didn't need, I'd be able to afford some gear I'd really like to have.

Be aware that the saying "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is" is very true of online sales. If it's being sold way under value, there's a good chance there's either something wrong with it or it's stolen merchandise.

There's no reason to spend several thousand dollars on gear when you're starting out, even if you're buying everything new. Including a drysuit, getting all my gear will run me around 2500.00 CAD, going through my LDS. Buying in the U.S. is quite a bit less and if you're not needing a drysuit that will cut out some costs too.

Another option to consider is asking your LDS if they have any rental gear they might sell you. This can be a great way to buy things at a significantly lower price while being confident in the condition of the merchandise and maintaining a good relationship with your LDS. I was still a student when I was getting into a different gear heavy sport and if I were you I'd talk to your LDS about your budget issues and see if they can work with you on getting the gear you need within your budget. If they can't or won't do so at least you've given them the opportunity.

As far as the Air Source II, the guys at the shop said they really liked it compared to the octo...

Oh! Well if the shop recommends you buy one....

pwscottiv:
They recommended it mainly because it was one less thing dragging behind them to get caught on stuff and get in the way. What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Everything should be properly secured anyways. There should never be danglies.

pwscottiv:
So if the Spare Air ain't such a good idea, wouldn't it be a good idea to have SOME sort of fully independent air source?... Just in case your buddy ends up panicking or is an *******. I'd like to be able to be as independent as I can if the **** hits the fan. Does a pony system seem like a good idea? Or is it just too bulky for everyday dives?

Its probably too much too soon. In the beginning I would suggest just maintaining good buddy protocol. Thats the whole point of the buddy system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom