Buying Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall:
Scubatoys shipping is accurate. I'm amazed that their shipping on steel tanks is 1/3 of the shipping from other retailers.

You can't go wrong with them. New tanks don't have to have a VIP the first year (regardless of what the dive shops say), but ST will ship your tank with a VIP sticker to avoid any problems getting fills.

Plus, don't forget about the 10% Scubaboard discount! Just mention that you're a member when you make your order.
LDS will still want to vip before filling an new EMPTY tank and will charge accordingly..

Just curious if anyone has a reference for the "rules" of whether a VIP is required or not with a new tank. I have no opinion, I would just like to find out for sure. Is it any different in Canada?

Alian1:
Just curious if anyone has a reference for the "rules" of whether a VIP is required or not with a new tank. I have no opinion, I would just like to find out for sure. Is it any different in Canada?

In the US, VIP is a scuba industry thing. There are no laws, rules or regulations concerning this. Law, if you apply DOT standards completely to private cylinders, is hydro ever five years with visual inpection as part of the hydro test. (this visual may or may not be the equivalent of a scuba visual)

Now, when the cylinder was first made, it recieved a visual with its first hydro.

Any other visuals, in the US, are volunetary. (well, up to the shop filling the tanks). As for how to handle this as the first person to fill the tank, it would be a judgement call on a tank by tank basis.

On the last note, just because a tank is new does not mean it is flawless. Someone, who is qualified to VIP a tank, should inspect a new tank, even if not required by law. Also, when a tank is empty, common sense and judgement should be the norm. There are many reasons a tank may be empty and some do not justify a VIP. (how about draining a tank to PP fill nitrox or trimix. VIP before the fill?)

Direct Diver:
Try Divers Direct.com they seem to have great prices on their tanks. $200.00 is crazy to pay for tanks.

According to your website AL80s are 159.99 + 11.99 for shipping. When the customer receives the tank he/she takes it to their local shop and pays $10 (conservative estimate) for VIP and Fill. So total cost is $181.98. Not to far from the $200 the OP posted. Plus if he buys it from his local shop he could possibly get some free fills down the road. I doubt that would happen with an internet tank. As always YMMV :wink:

Try Todd's scuba sales (twin quarries) used for $110 look them up on the web his not far from you. Or SODA LDS IN DAYTON has good prices also

Direct Diver:
Try Divers Direct.com they seem to have great prices on their tanks. $200.00 is crazy to pay for tanks.

I got 2 tanks unavailable locally from Divers Direct (a local LDS employee recommended them, LOL) separately ordered, here to Hawaii. The first I paid no shipping and did need a re-visual, $5. The second cost me $14 in shipping and no visual. I think these guys just had another no shipping special – but this time HI wasn’t included. I get the word by e-mail, you might want to check them out.

Oh, there was one tank like the first one (both steel HP's) and I saved $50 something getting it at DD vs LDS. I just think there are a lot of variables and options at any given time.

I would love to pay $150 for a tank down here in Australia.

Try locally and if not works for you ring Larry @ scuba toyrs or one of the other online dealers. Go from there but just remember that you need to pay postage and probably to have it inspected.

It can be hit or miss depending on where you live, but you might try watching your local Craigslist. I have had decent luck, bought two older Al80s for $35, needed vis and hydro another $35 each at my LDS, but for $70 per tank I saved money and passed some business on to the LDS. I have also recently bought some steel stage bottles off Craiglsist, but they were Nitrox certified and I had to send them off for re-cert, I could be out some $$ if they don't check out.
Anyway, I have found a few decent deals this way.

reefraff:
How many hours are you willing to spend trying to save how many dollars?

Well, you could try LeisurePro - they'll sell you a Catalina painted AL80 with a Genesis K valve for $150.00. Then you have to pay at least $32.00 for ground shipping, bringing the price of the tank to $182.00. Then you'll have to get a VIP on the tank and have it filled, figure another $25.00 - $30.00 or so, bringing the price up to something like $210.00.

That doesn't sound like much of a bargain, to me. YRMV. :D

You forgot the sales tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom