Buying Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bflem55

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering where I should check online to get some aluminum 80's. I was thinking maybe scuba toys?? any other suggestions?? my freaking LDS wants over 200 bucks for brushed aluminum 80

Where are you located? Retail near me (San Jose, CA) is $149. I've seen on-line for as little as $129, but the shipping would eat the difference. Or just pick up some ugly used ones for $50.

columbus, ohio Wish I could find some new for 150 around here I mean what online places should I look?

I did a partial checkout on scubatoys.com and it has shipping at 17.95 is that correct because thats cheap lol

How many hours are you willing to spend trying to save how many dollars?

Well, you could try LeisurePro - they'll sell you a Catalina painted AL80 with a Genesis K valve for $150.00. Then you have to pay at least $32.00 for ground shipping, bringing the price of the tank to $182.00. Then you'll have to get a VIP on the tank and have it filled, figure another $25.00 - $30.00 or so, bringing the price up to something like $210.00.

That doesn't sound like much of a bargain, to me. YRMV. :D

Bflem55:
I did a partial checkout on scubatoys.com and it has shipping at 17.95 is that correct because thats cheap lol

Scubatoys shipping is accurate. I'm amazed that their shipping on steel tanks is 1/3 of the shipping from other retailers.

You can't go wrong with them. New tanks don't have to have a VIP the first year (regardless of what the dive shops say), but ST will ship your tank with a VIP sticker to avoid any problems getting fills.

Plus, don't forget about the 10% Scubaboard discount! Just mention that you're a member when you make your order.

Try to stick with your LDS. Around here in Augusta a standard 80 aluminum is around $145, including the VIP+ and initial fill. Usually you have to drop the $8 for the boot. A Luxfer NB brushed run $185 and the LDS. Remember if your LDS goes out, you can not get fills, so support them if you can. Most are willing to work with you.
:monkeydan

paulwall:
New tanks don't have to have a VIP the first year (regardless of what the dive shops say), but ST will ship your tank with a VIP sticker to avoid any problems getting fills.
Draining a tank, removing the valve and shipping it cross country means that the tank needs a VIP inspection before filling; the age of the tank does not matter. You may disagree with the protocol but that doesn't change the reality, regardless of what you read on the internet.

Because the online dealers can't follow the protocols by inspecting the tanks upon arrival, their stickers are meaningless and dive shops should not honor them. Some probably do, many won't, so caveat emptor.

Back
Top Bottom