Buying steel doubles - question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies!

Blister

Because of the added security of the extra threads.
Well...not really. The extra two threads might add strenght that may become improtant once you get well over 5000-6000 psi, but frankly you'd be lucky to have 3 of the 5 or 7 threads bear already. Strenght is not the reason for the difference.

The point people miss is that 300 bar valves were NOT designed to be stronger, they were designed to be deeper. The extra lenght of the 2 additional threads prevents a user from installing a regulator designed for lower 200 bar pressures on a 300 bar tank. The 200 bar din connection is not long enough to seal in a 300 bar valve.

So it is all about the regulator not the strenght of the connection. And today, it makes little difference as many moddern regs are able to operate at 300 bar pressures (4350 psi) when fitted with a DIN connection and the vast majority of regs in use today can handle the 3500-3800 psi fills common with 3442 psi to 3500 psi rated tanks.

From a divers perspective, the longer 300 bar valve is a real pita. the extra threads just make it harder to install the reg, trap more water and create more potential for the valve opening to get damaged and end up oval shaped, rendering it useless. The extra threads offer no additional security as 5 threads or 7, if it unscews even a little the o-ring will no longer seal in the valve.

So all that leaves is the really lame "GI3 says so" argument and I pretty much refuse to dive with any diver who has to fall back on that kind of justification for any equipment configuration in the face of the actual facts.

Well...not really. The extra two threads might add strenght that may become improtant once you get well over 5000-6000 psi, but frankly you'd be lucky to have 3 of the 5 or 7 threads bear already. Strenght is not the reason for the difference.

The point people miss is that 300 bar valves were NOT designed to be stronger, they were designed to be deeper. The extra lenght of the 2 additional threads prevents a user from installing a regulator designed for lower 200 bar pressures on a 300 bar tank. The 200 bar din connection is not long enough to seal in a 300 bar valve.

So it is all about the regulator not the strenght of the connection. And today, it makes little difference as many moddern regs are able to operate at 300 bar pressures (4350 psi) when fitted with a DIN connection and the vast majority of regs in use today can handle the 3500-3800 psi fills common with 3442 psi to 3500 psi rated tanks.

From a divers perspective, the longer 300 bar valve is a real pita. the extra threads just make it harder to install the reg, trap more water and create more potential for the valve opening to get damaged and end up oval shaped, rendering it useless. The extra threads offer no additional security as 5 threads or 7, if it unscews even a little the o-ring will no longer seal in the valve.

Thanks for this perspective. Informative - I never looked at it that way.

So all that leaves is the really lame "GI3 says so" argument and I pretty much refuse to dive with any diver who has to fall back on that kind of justification for any equipment configuration in the face of the actual facts.

GI3 is the Chuck Norris of the diving world. Tread lightly son.

Blister

I hope to God you're kidding.

There is no "kidding" when speaking of GI3.

Lets just say that I never knew a stroke could be shoved into a rebreather dilutant tank. Trust me when I say you don't want details.

Blister

Personally, I would wait until TOMORROW when someone we all know and love might just be posting a NICE Hot Deals special on certain Worthington steel doubles sets.....complete with manifolds, bands, and extra service kits for the manifold. Never buy TODAY what you can buy TOMORROW at a cheaper price.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

hmmmmm.....

looks like he had the Hot Deal out...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ho...lvanized-doubles-great-price.html#post3855576

OHMIGOSH! HullBlister said the "S" word! For SHAME!

I use 300 bar mainfolds. They look shinyer...

Plus all my regs are 300 bar anyway. Well except for the yoke one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom