Buying steel doubles - question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HullBlister

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have decided on LP85's for my new doubles set. However, everyone (that I have found) online has them coming with valves preinstalled. Since I want to use 300 bar valves and a manifold, this seems to be somewhat of a waste if I have to just replacve what is already there.

Can anyone suggest a solution or point me to a resource?

Thanks!

Blister

Most places will sell the tanks, bands and the manifold at the same time. You don't have any extra valves. If you want just the tank without a valve, some places will do that as well but you need to ask. I'm sure that Phil at divesports.com would take care of you either way.

Why do you want 300 bar valves on a LP tank? Your tanks won't be taken to a higher pressure where you will get the benefit of having the 300s.

Personally, I like 200bar manifolds better. They work to exactly the same pressures as the 300bar ones, it's easier to screw the regs in, less prone to drop damage, and you could even, ahem, use those yoke plugs if you really needed to.

The only real advantage of a 300bar manifold is that it comes with 5k psi burst disks.

There is that. I have 300 bar on my HP doubles and 200 bar on LP doubles and it hasn't worried me. I'll make note next time I take the LPs out.

Lots of misinformation:

Why do you want 300 bar valves on a LP tank? Your tanks won't be taken to a higher pressure where you will get the benefit of having the 300s.

There is no difference between a modern 200 bar and 300 bar manifold other than two threads. Structurally they are the same.

The only real advantage of a 300bar manifold is that it comes with 5k psi burst disks.

One can put whatever burst disk in them as they want.

Here is a descent FAQ

Valves, Regulator Fittings, Cylinder Neck Openings -- More than you wanted to know

Personally, I would wait until TOMORROW when someone we all know and love might just be posting a NICE Hot Deals special on certain Worthington steel doubles sets.....complete with manifolds, bands, and extra service kits for the manifold. Never buy TODAY what you can buy TOMORROW at a cheaper price.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Because of the added security of the extra threads.

And GI3 says so.

Blister

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom