Buying Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a.mckelvey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I would like some input on some products that I am thinking about investing in...

I and my boyfriend are new to diving and we are ready to buy some scuba gear. We both have used and really like the Sherwood Brut regulator and like the idea of the fairly new Sherwood Gemini octo that is a breathable inflator. I also want a computer for added saftey (he of course says it's a waste and that we can just do the tables) and was looking at the Tusa Element computer gages combo because I like it with the gages instead of watch style. BC wise I was thinking of a DeepOutdoors Tranquility or Unity II. My local dive shop reccomended the Unity II because it was a good value (cheaper in price but still a great BC) and I found a tranqulilty for sale for cheaper that is slightly used (50 dives) but is also "made for a girl". I just wanted to get some advise from people before spending a small fortune on stuff and then wishing I had done differently. So if you have any insite on any of these products or something similar, please share. :)

THANKS!

What kind of diving do you plan on pursuing? The only thing you listed there I have any experience with is the Brut regulator. If you plan on shallow warm water diving only the Brut will suffice. It is a very simple, basic regulator, but very sturdy, & easily worked on. I will say that if you plan on local, fresh water (generally cold water) deep or even diving that requires you do do some moderate to strenuous activity (ie. swimming in currents), then you may want something a bit better. I found personally, that the Brut regulator did not deliver the air I needed if I was doing a rather physically active or deep dive. I would start to over breathe the regulator, which would leave me feeling starved for air, not a pleasant feeling. I went from that to a balanced regulator- a ScubaPro MK25/S600 & the difference was incredible. I now own 4 of them. That regulator is almost effortless & almost breathes for me. A Balanced regulator will breathe the same regardless of depth or pressure in the tank (until it is effectively empty). The Brut regulator is not balanced, so as you go deeper or the cylinder begins to run low, it will commonly become more difficult to breathe off of. Even though there may be some who will not agree with me, I would suggest that you purchase the best regulator you can for your budget. The rest you can kind of go the less expensive rout, but keep in mind that fit & comfort is the key. The regulator IS your primary life support, don't skimp there if you can avoid it. If you are serious about diving & plan to do a lot of it, I would, once again, suggest that you buy the best you can afford. I went your rout & bought what I trained in (same as the rental/ class equipment) & a year later I was buying all new equipment because the way I wanter to dive exceeded what that equipment was capable of. Just someone who has been there, done that. Also, make sure that what you purchase can be serviced by your LDS to save you some frustration. Don't be afraid to ask questions of your instructor &/or LDS about the equipment, do some research to see what will benefit the style of diving you plan to pursue.

You might check out some of the packages that ScubaToys has put together. Great prices on nice gear.

Honestly the best advice anyone can give you is to do your homework, try on as many different pieces of gear as possible, and don't be in a hurry to choose. Personally, I think dollar for dollar you can do far better than Sherwood or Tusa.

You might check out some of the packages that ScubaToys has put together. Great prices on nice gear.

Honestly the best advice anyone can give you is to do your homework, try on as many different pieces of gear as possible, and don't be in a hurry to choose. Personally, I think dollar for dollar you can do far better than Sherwood or Tusa.

what would you consider to be better than Sherwood and Tusa? I know that these are some of the lower of the higher end brands. I know that Atomic and ScubaPro are better but they are also WAY more expensive. I didn't really think that there were too many in between, but again I'm new. :confused:

a.mckelvey

I do suggest you shoot higher in the Sherwood line for a long term personal purchase. Once you get into the Oasis / Blizzard price range you start to line up with other reasonable brands before you hit some of the exotics like Atomic.

The biggest distinction among regulators is being cold water capable. I know you are in Georgia but you don't have to go far to find cold water in a moderately deep freshwater site. If there is ANY chance that you may dive such a place be sure whatever you get is cold water safe.

If there is any one part of your gear that you want to extend yourself on it is your regulator set. You may change what you want for a BC or outgrow or wear out a wetsuit but a regulator can really stay with you for one or more decades. For that reason try to take a broader look at the products in a gross price range, like under $500. After that be looking at what your local service providers can handle. If dive travel is high on your to-do list then you want something that can be serviced in far away places. Sherwood is dominant in resort areas, I'm really not sure who comes in second.

Your boyfriend is right about the computers. If delaying your computers lets you get top shelf stuff on the rest of your gear then dive tables until it's time to invest again. Tables should be perfectly adequate for novice dives. By diving this way you will staying tune with what you are doing and be safer for it.

The best advice on BCs is to try them in the water, preferably on a dive or 2. That's usually not possible so take your time in the shop pool. This is an old post of what drove me to purchase the BC that I dive. Just looking at some of my considerations may help you make an evaluation of what is important to you.

Pete

Last edited:
Oceanic Alpha 8 CDX5 regulator reviews and discounts, Oceanic

The Oceanic Alpha regulator is an excellent item. Having a diving family, we have good gear, but nobody gets the super-deluxe stuff. This is our favorite. Scubatoys has BC's and package deals as well.

I have been diving since 1977, and consider now to be the best time to buy dive gear. Years back, everything revolved around the dive shop. Training, gear travel, and buddies all came from that one source. The internet has changed that, so now everything revolves around the diver. Take advantage of the many online resources and you can be a really smart scuba consumer.

Have fun with it,

Stu

There is so much good advice here you can’t really go wrong. Research, research, research and the internet is a treasure trove of information. BTW, ScubaPro is not necessarily better than Tusa or Sherwood. In this case better is relative. As was previously stated, it depends on the kind of diving you want to do now and aspire to later. If, for example you think you want to dive in harsh cold conditions. Many arctic explorers and researcher say Sherwood is your man or girl if you like. Depending on which one you buy they are indestructible, and inexpensive, but they are not the only one. Some people confuse lack of cost with lack of quality. For the newbie this can be a mind bending experience. Even though our collective advice favors research before you buy. The information highway is littered with wolves in sheep’s clothing. Here’s my four cents.
1. Continue to search this board for diverse and international opinions. To every like there is an equal and opposite dislike, so seek the opposing view. Every piece of equipment has one.
2. Find and speak to reputable scuba reg technicians. Most of the good ones are happy to share their knowledge and valuable insights. Particularly the ones who service a wide variety of regs, and they tend to be far less bias. Try Airtech. http://www.airtechscubaservices.com service is all they do. That’s where many LDS’s send their rental regs for annual service. Yours too BTW. Email or Call and establish a relationship with the company you can send almost any reg to. No matter how exotic. Whatever that means. The prices and pertinent info are posted on their website for all to see and compare. You may end up sending you reg there directly.
3. Cost is going to be a factor. But if you take your time and choose, not just for the present but for your future. You will acquire your best things one time, and then take good care of it.
4. Beware the kool-aid crusaders. These are those who have blind, fanatical obsession with a particular manufacture, or brand. They will badger you ad nauseam about the wonders of their gear. Some of the makeup wild Orwellian like stories and excuses defending the equipment. Here’s what’s weird.
I think, they think, they’re doing this at the equipments behest, but I can’t prove it.
Example:
Hey instructor, sir, why did our regulators free-flow so much on the sixty foot platform.
Well student, you were over-breathing the reg.
All three of us sir?
Yes! Of course! The Scubapro MK-16 is the finest regulator in the world son. This reg is especially made for cold water. It cannot freeze or free-flow, in 45 degree water, unless you over breath it. You all should practice breathing on your reg more.
This is a clear case of Kool-aid sickness; it happens when the manufacturers spin inters the blood stream of an otherwise healthy individual. Causing the victim to become inebriated, clouding their judgment, and impairing their ability the think rationally.
So, research before you buy, and don’t drink kool-aid, even if it comes from a friend.
Good luck
Bat

The Dive Rite Hurricane regulator is on sale at a few places for $339. It is an excellent regulator.

The only issue is the fact that it comes DIN only. That's kind of a PITA but as the regulator compares favorably with the other top of the line cold water regulators at about 1/2 the price, it works for me!

Richard

I don't know about kool aid, but most folks like the brand of gear they have beacause most brands are fairly likable. All the bad stuff left the market a long time ago. Now, it is just figuring out what is best for your particular needs. And... guys like me need to keep things within budget.

I don't know about kool aid, but most folks like the brand of gear they have beacause most brands are fairly likable. All the bad stuff left the market a long time ago. Now, it is just figuring out what is best for your particular needs. And... guys like me need to keep things within budget.

I agree with Stu. Pretty much anything on the market today is going to be good stuff. It's always possible to find a lemon from any brand but if there was an equipment maker who was putting out crap or unreliable products, they wouldn't last long at all.

Like everyone else has said, try out as many things as you can and see what works for you. I'd even think about renting stuff for a few trips from different dive shops so you can check out all the brands. My wife has the Scubapro Ladyhawk and loves it. She tried several BC's that were made for women but found the Ladyhawk to be the most comfortable for her by far. It has the AIR II which serves as both the inflator and octo.

I'd also put in a plug for the Sherwood Wisdom computer when you get ready to make that purchase. Great computer and easy to use and understand.

Good luck with your purchases.

BDSC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom