Buying Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I would like some input on some products that I am thinking about investing in...

I and my boyfriend are new to diving and we are ready to buy some scuba gear. We both have used and really like the Sherwood Brut regulator and like the idea of the fairly new Sherwood Gemini octo that is a breathable inflator. I also want a computer for added saftey (he of course says it's a waste and that we can just do the tables) and was looking at the Tusa Element computer gages combo because I like it with the gages instead of watch style. BC wise I was thinking of a DeepOutdoors Tranquility or Unity II. My local dive shop reccomended the Unity II because it was a good value (cheaper in price but still a great BC) and I found a tranqulilty for sale for cheaper that is slightly used (50 dives) but is also "made for a girl". I just wanted to get some advise from people before spending a small fortune on stuff and then wishing I had done differently. So if you have any insite on any of these products or something similar, please share. :)

THANKS!

I was looking into my first gear purchases not too long ago, maybe sharing my experience with my choices will help you out a bit. I did a lot of reading on these boards before making a purchase on my regulator, BCD, and gauges. I also dove with the gear I was looking at before buying it (w/ one exception). I might not have many dives, but hopefully I can offer some good advice.

In my early diving (honestly all my dives are still new experiences), the training dives and some reef dives, I had problems with regulator free flows and bad breathing octos. My training was cold water and my reef dives ranged from 15 foot hour long dives to just a few minutes at 130 feet (after AOW). I knew I would need a cold-water, balanced regulator right out of the box. I haven't dived around Georgia, so I don't know if you get any real cold diving there, but if you travel North it gets cold even during summer dives and a cold-water reg will work great wherever you are. Do your research, and look for companies that you can get serviced easily/locally too.

Also make sure your octo is up to the task for your dives as well, my backup is the exact same model as my primary. I haven't used anything like the Gemini octo on the inflation hose but I would recommend against going that route. While it streamlines your gear a small bit I would doubt it breathes as well as your primary, and it might complicate your ascent/descent while breathing off it. Again, give it a try and dive what you prefer. For the record I went with the Atomic M1, but there are much cheaper, good regulators, that you can look into.

I recently got a Tulsa gauge console, and am starting to wish I bought a wrist mounted depth gauge and compass. If you prefer a console over wrist mounted then go with a console, dive what works for you. I haven't purchased a computer, and I probably won't at any point in the near future. I use the wheel and tables to figure out my depth & time limits, then keep track of my time/depth under the water and recalculate my pressure group at the end of a dive. While a computer would certainly lessen the amount of work I do I feel that I'm more aware of each dive I go on and I have a better understanding of the limits to my diving as a result. Plus, I threw down the extra cash on the regulator and can't justify spending the extra money on something I can definitely do without. Whether a computer would add a level of safety is arguable; I've seen people blindly following computers who've forgotten how to even determine pressure groups after 2 or 3 dives in a day. If you get a computer enjoy it, but don't become dependent on it.

I really can't say anything about BCD's; I've moved away from the jacket style completely and gone to a back-plate and wing setup. My best recommendation is to, like everything else, go with the style you prefer. If you're buying used, make sure it's still in good condition and properly maintained. After 50 dives the Tranquility should be in good shape but it's always good to make sure.

That's all a bit longer than I thought it would be, but hopefully it helps.

I dive tables, mostly.

I don't like combination inflator/secondaries.

I prefer BP/W to jackets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom