Buying Online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At most I would be diving 2 or 3 times a year for the next few years. Am I maybe buying bigger than my needs right now?
Given your expectations for the near future, I wouldn't buy a full set just yet.

What did you get? What brands?

Here is what is included in the quote I got from my LDS:

Sherwood Oasis Regulator - 415
Sherwood Std Octo - 140
Sherwood SPG - 110
Sherwood Axis BCD - 480
AKONA Roller Duffle Bag - 165
Genesis ReAct Pro Wrist Computer - 410
Pinnacle Fusion 5mm/4mm Wetsuit - 275
Retractable Compass - 100
AKONA Pro BCD Kit - 115
Marine Whistle - 3
Octo Holder - 3
Hose Protector Wraps - 38
Panview Mask - 80
Surf Snorkel - 25
Force Fins - 200
6mm Boots - 49
BCD/Reg Hangar - 10
Mask Defog - 6

All that adds up for a grand total of $2,601.89 after tax and dive shop discounts.

Is my LDS trying to sell me stuff that I don't need? Or ever stuff that is too advanced for my novice level? At most I would be diving 2 or 3 times a year for the next few years. Am I maybe buying bigger than my needs right now?

IMO I agree that you might want to consider renting some of the higher priced items, until you are able to take advantage of your own equipment more often.

Also, the prices seem to be reasonable if buying each item seperately, but from my own experience, your LDS should be able to give you a better deal when purchasing a large package like you have listed.

There is also a few things on your list that might be "nice to haves", but not required to enjoy diving. For example, $200 force fins, may be well worth every dollar, but you can get good starter fins for half of that. Also, the same with the wetsuit, the Pinnacle may be well worth the price, but there are cheaper brands out there. Are you planning on the 2 or 3 times of diving to be travel trips or local trips? If local trips, the $165 roller duffle bag could be avoided, and a $40 mesh bag be purchased instead. IMO $38 for hose protectors could be avoided. You could also hold off on the computer as well until you are able to dive more.

Again this is just my opinion. I have purchased the cheaper fins, and wetsuit, and then went back and purchased more expensive ones, but I wouldn't have done this if I was only diving 2 or 3 times a year. Also, I would normally recommend purchasing your own gear, because knowing your own gear is worth a lot and makes your diving experience much more enjoyable. In your case, with only diving 2 to 3 times a year, there will be little difference in re-learning your own gear or learning the rented gear.

Hope at least some of this helps.

Sherwood Std Octo - 140
Sherwood SPG - 110
Sherwood Axis BCD - 480
AKONA Pro BCD Kit - 115
Marine Whistle - 3
Octo Holder - 3
Hose Protector Wraps - 38
Panview Mask - 80
Surf Snorkel - 25
Force Fins - 200
6mm Boots - 49
BCD/Reg Hangar - 10
Mask Defog - 6

All that adds up for a grand total of $2,601.89 after tax and dive shop discounts.

Is my LDS trying to sell me stuff that I don't need? Or ever stuff that is too advanced for my novice level? At most I would be diving 2 or 3 times a year for the next few years. Am I maybe buying bigger than my needs right now?

Just as a price comparison on a few items, check out this 5mm suit: Henderson Thermoprene 5mm Full Suit 2007 , Wetsuits: Women, Henderson, Henderson Thermoprene 5mm Full Suit 2007
Here's the reg: Sherwood Oasis Regulator, Regulators, Sherwood, Sherwood Oasis Regulator
A retractable compass with a slate: Retractor Compass on Slate, Accessories: Clips, Cetecea, Retractor Compass on Slate
etc.

Obviously, packaging everything together - you'd get an even better deal. Feel free to use our prices to see if the shop will come a bit closer to a package deal for you. I'd change a few of the items in your list... but without talking to you about your diving - it would be hard to make concrete suggestions. But maybe that will at least help them give you a better deal.

eBay is a garage sale where you can't see anything until a week after you've paid for it.

You might get a great deal, you might get hosed.

I bought a box for $50 that was only shown as a bad photo labeled "SCUBA Stuff". It turned out to contain a mint condition SCUBAPro MK1, which is about 40 years old. I had it serviced and it would be my favorite reg if it had an extra LP port.

However I also bought a Dive-Rite cannister light that burst into flames while charging and almost burned my house down.

I've had friends that bought stuff, paid for it and received nothing.

There's also the possibility that you're buying stolen merchandise.

Unless you know the seller or the seller has a long-term good reputation for selling the same type of items it's pretty much a crap-shoot.

Whatever you buy, make sure you can get it serviced locally and that parts are still available. Also make sure you have it serviced before use, since lots of people dump their problem/abused stuff on eBay.

You can get a great deal there, but it's definitely "buyer beware".

Terry

Second, $2600!!! That's sounds like a lot of money for one person's gear. My wife and I spend $3000 when we first got certified...for both of us. And we didn't get the cheap stuff.

As an instructor, you should not be that astonished at the price.
(edit:missed the "not")

If you start with a $600 reg, a $600 BC a $1200 computer, and a small pile of other stuff, it doesn't take long to hit $3K.

I'm not saying it has to cost that much, but it's certainly not an amazingly high price.

Terry

Last edited:

Sherwood Std Octo - 140
Sherwood SPG - 110
Sherwood Axis BCD - 480
AKONA Pro BCD Kit - 115
Marine Whistle - 3
Octo Holder - 3
Hose Protector Wraps - 38 Not necessary
Panview Mask - 80
Surf Snorkel - 25 Buy a cheaper snorkel, you won't use it much unless you're snorkeling
Force Fins - 200 There are better fins for less money
6mm Boots - 49
BCD/Reg Hangar - 10 Not necessary
Mask Defog - 6

My original purchase consisted of 2 of each of the following:

Sherwood Maximus
Sherwood Minimus
Sherwood Wisdom console computer with compass
Sherwood Freedom BCD
TUSA Xpert Zoom splits
TUSA purge masks
Henderson Reef boots
TUSA snorkel
Evo 3mm shorty
Evo 3mm full
Henderson dive skin
Retractor for the computer
Hose clip for the alternate reg

I'm sure there were a few other things. Remember, that's 2 of each. The computers alone were $500 or so each.

Web Monkey:
As an instructor, you should not be that astonished at the price.

Actually, I'm not. But I haven't been associated with a shop that sells at those prices in a few years. I make all my purchases either online or from my current local shop which beats out all online prices. My point was that's a lot of money. If the LDS isn't willing to cut the OP a deal, then he needs to go shopping elsewhere.

All in all this had been a good thread to read. Nice and interesting

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. I know I must be the billionth person to ask this same questions, but you have all been very helpful.

I think that unless my LDS is willing to cut me a deal on some of the stuff, I'd be better of renting it from them until I'm able to dive more frequently.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom