Buying Online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me, e-bay can be no different than buying used from the guy down the street. How does that change the equation when it comes to service?

To me, e-bay can be no different than buying used from the guy down the street. How does that change the equation when it comes to service?

Because your basic premise that Ebay = used is flawed. Many online retailers also sell on Ebay, brand new gear that carries full manufacturer warranty.

You could do comparison shopping, take what you've found & see if your LDS will deal with you,... you just might be pleasantly surprised.

Or they could act insulted, give you a big lecture, and/or blacklist you. I've seen it go both ways and a newbie really has no way to know until they try.

One rule of thumb I use, if a store doesn't give any clear indication that they invite price comparisons, match prices, or otherwise compete on price then I don't haggle with them or bring them competing offers to match. I'll bear no guilt over it as they set the tone.

Several years ago I was at my "LDS," which was more than 50 miles from my home, shopping for basic gear for my wife to take her first cert. class with that shop. I had already purchased her a pair of booties from an online source, but I wanted to "support my LDS" and get the more expensive mask, fins and snorkel from them, plus masks and fins are items that need to be tried on, especially the mask, and you can't do that on your computer. The shop owner saw her mail-order booties and asked how much I paid for them. I told him and he scoffed and said he had the same thing for $5 less. The problem? He was lying. He had booties that were $5 less all right, but they were not comparable in quality, material or features. They were not "the same thing." Comparable ones at his store cost about $25 MORE. I let that slide but I obviously never forgot it. A few years later he was out of business, which frankly didn't bother me at all.

First, get off of ebay for gear. No offense, but as a new diver, you probably don't know what you're looking for and what's a good deal or not there. It's difficult to assess the reputation of an ebay seller. Is the gear you're looking at new with warranty or resell from out of business dive shops. I suggest sticking with a reputable dive shop that will take returns, make repairs, etc.

Second, $2600!!! That's sounds like a lot of money for one person's gear. My wife and I spend $3000 when we first got certified...for both of us. And we didn't get the cheap stuff.

Do some shopping. Check out some of the reputable online dealers - Dive Sports, Scuba Toys, Scuba Diving Limited. Choose some gear. Put together a package. Put it in your shopping cart, then go to your LDS and ask them if they can match the price. If they come within a couple hundred dollars of your online price, then give them the business. Remember, they not only sell gear, but they provide you with air fills, instruction, etc. But if their price is several hundred dollars more, then they will either have to understand why you chose to purchase elsewhere, or they won't. But you'll have a lot more money left over to buy more gear, which you will find you end up doing. :D

Because your basic premise that Ebay = used is flawed. Many online retailers also sell on Ebay, brand new gear that carries full manufacturer warranty.

Well, no, it wasn't my basic premise. I said it can be no different. I realize there are dealers on there. But, if they offer full manufacturers warranties, then they aren't the sellers that the OP is being warned to stay away from.

My question is more along the lines of "will the LDS refuse to service your gear if you bought it used?" Has anyone ever been refused service for gear they didn't buy at the local LDS? What were the circumstances?

Upon further reflection, how can a seller on e-bay offer a full warranty of an Aqua Lung (for example) product? Aqua Lung is fairly clear in their warranty that the Aqua Lung Dealers Agreement prohibits anything other than over-the-counter delivery of products.

Upon further reflection, how can a seller on e-bay offer a full warranty of an Aqua Lung (for example) product? Aqua Lung is fairly clear in their warranty that the Aqua Lung Dealers Agreement prohibits anything other than over-the-counter delivery of products.

I guess that is between the seller and aqualung to work out. When Scubatoys was closing out their Scubapro line, he sold regulators, online, with full Scubapro warranty.

I guess that is between the seller and aqualung to work out. When Scubatoys was closing out their Scubapro line, he sold regulators, online, with full Scubapro warranty.

That's because they had bought those products while still under contract. Once the contract was over, the rest of the products could be liquidated. After all, the only thing Scuba Pro can do at that point is end the contract...

Second, $2600!!! That's sounds like a lot of money for one person's gear. My wife and I spend $3000 when we first got certified...for both of us. And we didn't get the cheap stuff.

What did you get? What brands?

Here is what is included in the quote I got from my LDS:

Sherwood Oasis Regulator - 415
Sherwood Std Octo - 140
Sherwood SPG - 110
Sherwood Axis BCD - 480
AKONA Roller Duffle Bag - 165
Genesis ReAct Pro Wrist Computer - 410
Pinnacle Fusion 5mm/4mm Wetsuit - 275
Retractable Compass - 100
AKONA Pro BCD Kit - 115
Marine Whistle - 3
Octo Holder - 3
Hose Protector Wraps - 38
Panview Mask - 80
Surf Snorkel - 25
Force Fins - 200
6mm Boots - 49
BCD/Reg Hangar - 10
Mask Defog - 6

All that adds up for a grand total of $2,601.89 after tax and dive shop discounts.

Is my LDS trying to sell me stuff that I don't need? Or ever stuff that is too advanced for my novice level? At most I would be diving 2 or 3 times a year for the next few years. Am I maybe buying bigger than my needs right now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom