Buying my Gear-OPINIONS needed Local or Online ? New/Used/Price

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubeneath

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am asking for the expertice of this board to answer a dilema I have regarding two options to buy my first/basic SCUBA gear. Although the answer seems somewhat obvious, I want to make sure I am not leaving any stones unturned becuase of my lack of experience in this sport.

Basically, the two options are this: 1) Buying approx 1 year old, frequently used rental gear from a local shop that has a 1 year warranty from the shop (not manufacturer) or 2) Buying brand new gear from a very large online retailer which is higher grade, but b/c bought online is also void the manufacturers warranty (but more bang-4-buck).

Local Package: ALL USED - Basic Sherwood Oasis Reg-entry level w/ 1st and 2nd stage, Octo/Alt Reg. NO BCD, and ReactPRo NON Air Integrated Computer. Non manuf. Warranty, local shop gives 1 year waranty thru them. $700 INC TAX. Addnl $300+for BCD also needed.

Online Package: ALL BRAND NEW - Sherwood Blizzard Reg (will be doing cold water within a year) inc 1st/2nd stages, Octo/Alt Air Reg., React Pro NON Air Integrated Computer, Reg Bag, INCLUDES NEW Tortuga BCD also. NON Manuf warranty but this huge online retailer does give 2 year warranty on all through them. $850 Inc Shipping

Also along w/ both packages, for addntl $250 I can get an AIR INTEGRATED Comp. such as the Wisdom II. Is this worth it ? For a newdiver, is the React Pro NON integrated good enough to start ?

Whats your opinion ? Anything I didnt think of ? Change Comp ?
WHICH WOULD YOU DO and WHY ?

Your knowledge and insight is greatly appreciated, due to the cost and how often you don't have to buy major gear, I want to make the best choice. I am NOT made of money however I want to spend what I do have properly for a long term gear purchase.

Thank You - and PS - Sorry for lenght of posting !

--Scubeneath

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago and here is what I decded to do and why.

I went to my LDS and spoke with one of the sales guys. I told him exactly what I wanted and how much I wanted to spend. From there he made up a great package at the price I wanted to spend. All brand new gear with FULL warranties.

I had thought about buying online but decided that even though I may get a little better price (in the end I got a better price and service through my LDS. LP couldn't even touch the price.) I would rather support my LDS so they could continue to provide the services and products in my area. Even though I'm in California we don't have too many shops close to where I live.

I'm also a hands on person. I like to touch and see stuff before I buy it. When it comes to Scuba products things like the 1st and 2nd stages are life support components and shouldn't be left to chance. Also my personal belief is to steer clear of any business that voids the manufacturers warranty and provides their own. That screams "PROBLEM" for the consumer.

Now not to say there aren't reputable online businesses out there but for your first gear you should go in to your LDS and touch, feel, play, etc the gear before you buy it. Also by supporting them you give yourself the opportunity to go back in the future for more purchases, services, trips, new friends, (I sound like a Cheers commercial :lotsalove:)

Ok so now that my post is more winded then yours :D I hope I answered that question.

As far as what gear to buy. I'll leave that up to the experts. I will say that my LDS has BCD, 1st,2nd,Octo,Comp packages for a little more than the prices you quoted.

My setup was 1400 and I love it!

Option 3, buy new gear from online retailer that carries manufacturer warranty. You are probably looking at LP but there are online retailers that are authorized dealers that may match the LP price.Being authorized they just can't advertise that price.

Few regs and BCs are defective in workmanship so the "warranty" is usually about free parts for annual service. On a Sherwood these are cheap, say around $20. And Sherwood goes by the service rings. If you have them then you can probably get the free parts regardless of where you buy from.

I would not buy from rental stock. I've seen how much they are abused with students dunking regs with their dust covers off and not emptying the BC of water. I wouldn't spend the extra bucks on an AI computer at this point. I can't tell you if the package you cited offers the best value or not but Sherwood is an economical and reliable brand.

If you are looking at LP and want a warranty. Go with the brands that they are authorized to sell oceanic, aeris, xs scuba, mares, tusa, cressi. All these brands have cold water regs. There are many options for new. I would avoid frequently used rentals.

What dive shops have you checked with here in AZ??? PM me and I can help you with a couple local shops that match and one that gives 5% below Internet pricing on some items!!!

I have been in this dilemma myself in the past. I have since come to find at least 3 local shops that will match internet pricing. This means, you get the lowest possible price, and the full manufacturer warranty. Now, in the past I had bought gear from LP and they provide their own warranty to match what you would get from the manufacturer. The downfall was/is that you have to send the gear for service to their site in NY. Now, I will find the lowest possible price and then check the few LDS and buy it local at the internet price...best part...no waiting for it to get shipped :D

I agree with all of the posts below. My input:

It depends on what kind of budget you are on. (or if you are simply frugal, like me!)

Decide what could be used and what MUST be new.
Decide what MUST have a warranty.
Decide what you MUST own as opposed to rent. Renting can save you money and headaches in the long run for a LOT more equipment than any one wants to admit.

Obviously, always try on critical fit items like masks prior to purchase.
Look in the gear sections of this website for lots of advice to get you completely overwhelmed- LoL

When comparing prices, always include the shipping and/or sales tax and gas to pick up.

When buying used, like on craigs' list or ebay: Consider the depreciation of the item if it is used. Will it last as long as a new item? Also, is it current technology or equal? Is there a risk to buying it used?

When buying new at the LDS, consider the limited inventory. Are you getting the same item in the same size/color/model year that you would online? Are you driving to compare different product lines at different shops? How much time and gas is that?
(I'm really glad to hear that LDS are matching internet prices!)

I went to my LDS and spoke with one of the sales guys. I told him exactly what I wanted and how much I wanted to spend. From there he made up a great package at the price I wanted to spend. All brand new gear with FULL warranties.

In my experience, contacting an on-line retailer directly with this same information works quite well. Scuba Toys and Dive Right In Scuba have both worked with me in the past to put together great packages for different equipment needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom