buying inexpensive wetsuits, Akona, Tilos- need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not a good idea buying a suit without first trying it on. In California, fit is everything .... COMFORT, WARMTH.

Go to several shops and try on suits. Find the one that fits the best. Then wheel and deal. Many shops will drop the price by $100 for a sale today.

Most of my suits have the titanium? lining (Xcel 9/7/6 SCS Polar, Picasso 5mm Ghost Termic). I can not really say if it makes a difference. They say it is for ease of taking the suit on and off on the websites.

Are you Northern or Southern California. The suits listed may not be warm enough at depth depending on area if they are single 6.5 or 7 mm thickness. Not doubled up on chest.

It is not a good idea buying a suit without first trying it on. In California, fit is everything .... COMFORT, WARMTH.

Go to several shops and try on suits. Find the one that fits the best. Then wheel and deal. Many shops will drop the price by $100 for a sale today.

Most of my suits have the titanium? lining (Xcel 9/7/6 SCS Polar, Picasso 5mm Ghost Termic). I can not really say if it makes a difference. They say it is for ease of taking the suit on and off on the websites.

Are you Northern or Southern California. The suits listed may not be warm enough at depth depending on area if they are single 6.5 or 7 mm thickness. Not doubled up on chest.

hey I'm Northern California. thanks for your input. do you the difference between 3 mm., 5 mm., and 7 mm? as in how much difference does it make in warmth?

Our waters can get down to 44/46F at depth. Normal starter wetsuit is two piece 7mm Farmer John. So about 14mm across chest for a leaky wetsuit. Some women and skinnier divers add a 3mm hooded vest for additional warmth. I use a one piece with integrated hood for 9mm across chest. My new wetsuit has very little water exchange.

The suits listed may work. SoCal 5mm Farmer John or 7mm one piece for cooler water temps. NorCal 7mm Farmer John or 8-9mm one piece for colder water temps. 3mm one piece for warmer Baja water temps.

I have owned Harvey's, Oneal, Aqualung(2mm), and Henderson's Neo Sport(5mm). I paid about the same for the Aqualung and the Henderson's as you are planning. I am very happy with both.

I don't think you will go wrong with either Tilos or Akona. They have been around for a while and have made a place for themselves in the industry.

I would happily wear either, but I would also dive in jeans and a tee shirt if that is all I had.

I have had several Tilos wetsuits and loved them all. I'm still diving an 8 year old Tilos 3/2mm full suit spring through mid fall and it looks great.

Thanks so much for your advice! I just got the Tilos 6.5 mm in the mail. and nothing seems wrong with it, fits great, cheap, haha.

I have a Divers Supply/Sea Elite $99.95 5mil jumpsuit. It fits me great but isn't holding up well. It has started to fray on the shoulders after 4 or so dives. I blame that mostly on wearing a BP/W with doubles (usually only 72's).

That said, if it costs half as much and has half the life, I haven't lost anything. I'll buy another when it wears out. ...and it fits me better than any other suit that I've ever had on.

Back
Top Bottom