Buying gear from Ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

had a customer come in with a used alum 80 purchased on ebay..he paid $80. for it..We sell new alum 80 for $210/$220.with a free air pass for 20 fills .Fills go for $8. in this area, so air pass has a value of $160.Customer needed a vip and he has 1 year left on hydro.Buy new tank at lds and it would have cost $50./$60.in not too much time.Not too much of a deal after he paid for used tank and vip.Trust your lds to teach you and if you had a good experience trust them to equip you.Most are not out to rip you off but to build a long term relationship.

jwalko:
I hope I don't start a war here, but I was wondering about opinions reagrding buying gear from Ebay.

How do you feel about it?

What would you consider buying from Ebay (assuming used gear, and not the dive shops advertising new gear on Ebay) and what would you stay away from?

I mentioned in another post that I am looking for new gear. I am thinking regs, BCs, possibly tanks (although that would be last on my list), etc.

I already have exposure suit, mask, fins, snorkel, booties, but am looking to take the next step. I would love some opinions.

Also, when buying used regs, do you find that it is difficult to get your LDS to service them?

John

I would buy anything that would not normally need to be serviced, if you choose to do so, like the earlier poster stated, be sure your LDS services that brand otherwise it can be a real headache getting repairs.

E-bay can be a great thing but you have to be educated about the product, market, and be wise on selecting your seller. I see people buying used gear for 80% of my local new retail. Its no wonder people end up disatisfied with their purchase.

May I suggest that, if you decide to buy your item through ebay, try to use your credit card only, instead of involving Paypal in anyway. The reason is, if anything happen for the transaction, your credit card company can help you better.

oly5050user:
had a customer come in with a used alum 80 purchased on ebay..he paid $80. for it..We sell new alum 80 for $210/$220.with a free air pass for 20 fills .Fills go for $8. in this area, so air pass has a value of $160.Customer needed a vip and he has 1 year left on hydro.Buy new tank at lds and it would have cost $50./$60.in not too much time.Not too much of a deal after he paid for used tank and vip.Trust your lds to teach you and if you had a good experience trust them to equip you.Most are not out to rip you off but to build a long term relationship.

People can take any one given example, good or bad, and turn it into an argument for or against Ebay, but that argument is rather bunk. The fact is that overall Ebay is a great way to shop. Recognize that one is NOT purchasing from EBay, one is purchasing from an individual, or business.

So the first key is judging the seller. Some vendors that are on Ebay are DiversDirect, UnrealFind, Adorama, Ritz, ScubaJoe's, and a TON of others. So if you can find a product at below the store price via Ebay, than you are getting a bargin. If you can just call the store and get as good or a better deal, then do that when buying new.

For individual used items, sellers are generally honest. I have over 160 transactions on ebay, and have had only one item that I was unhappy with. In that case I sent it back to the seller, and received a full refund I (camera lens that would not focus correctly).

One must be a smart shopper, and weigh all the considerations. If the LDS sells an AL80 for $200 and includes 20 air fills then maybe that is the way to go. Our LDS does not include any fills with their Al80's (well maybe one) so I can buy it from ScubaToys for $130 shipped new, and that is a much better deal.

I picked up two used tanks locally, nitrox clean, new hydro and vis for $80 each. This was not Ebay, but an example on how one can shop around to save some $$$. Had our LDS offered 20 free fills for their $200 price tag, I likley would have purchased from them.

A bought a tank from a so called dive operation in Florida. Not only did it take weeks to get, but the cost of inspecting and testing the tank almost equaled the cost of a new one. I decided to not use the tank and purchased the new one from my local dive shop. I have bought small items like a dive flag and dive towel with no problems. Personally I would buy items that may need service or help with from your local dive shop. I think most dive shops will respect a purchase from another dive shop as opposed to bringing in an item bought on E-bay with a problem. 97% of my gear has come from dive shops in either Atlanta or from dive shops in Florida.

craborn:
I want to ask a question. First, all of you are right , some more than others but have your opinion. HOw many of you go to ebay or anything else on line to get AIR FILLS. Some may have their own system but MOST of you go to the LDS. They cannot stay in business just for your few air fills a week. Support them and they will support you. And yes you can but some good stuff used and on line but without the LDS where would the AIR be.

wow, what a profound thought. I believe you're the first person to propose this compelling argument.

However, I routinely get fills online at reduced prices and they're always at exactly the rated service pressure of the cylinder. Trimix cost savings are especially attractive.

If you're not getting cyberfills, you must be new to the internet.

Jody P:
A bought a tank from a so called dive operation in Florida. Not only did it take weeks to get, but the cost of inspecting and testing the tank almost equaled the cost of a new one. I decided to not use the tank and purchased the new one from my local dive shop.

This is called being an educated consumer. If one purchases a tank used, one better know several things, like was in manufactured using almum that is considered defective, will it need a vis/hydro upon arrival, and how much does that all cost?

Based on my research, purchasing a used tank online even with a current vis and hydro will likely cost you more than it's worth. If the tank is empty (which it must be to ship) the LDS is going to require a Vis, and that is going to run $20. This should not be the case for new tanks, but unfortunately many LDS's are mad at internet sales, so they will force the consumer to get a new vis on a new tank.. just foolish.

Jody P:
I have bought small items like a dive flag and dive towel with no problems. Personally I would buy items that may need service or help with from your local dive shop. I think most dive shops will respect a purchase from another dive shop as opposed to bringing in an item bought on E-bay with a problem. 97% of my gear has come from dive shops in either Atlanta or from dive shops in Florida.

How does the LDS know where it was purchased? Ironically small items are mostly worthless to purchase online as the savings is not worth it. I tend to purchase smaller items from the LDS.

My LDS has zero issue servicing any of my gear regardless of where it's purchased. It's called good customer relations, and service. They don't penalize people for purchasing online, and are happy to service gear without questions for their standard price that is not biased based on where the gear was puchased.

OK, I am an ebay buyer and seller. Ebay is a great way to get good deals on non-servicable equipment such as masks, fins, flags, and booties. If you are thinking of buying like a bc or reg. don't do it, you have no warranty and its just overall a bad deal. Take my advice, learn from the people who have been screwed over...
have a nice day everyone.
Cheers, Josh

Back
Top Bottom