Buying gear from Ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
I won't buy anything on ebay. I got screwed twice by two different sellers. Ebay supports sellers, not buyers and they totally blew me off. One seller continued screwing people until he got so many negative feedbacks in a couple of week period that he just changed ID"s. The other closed their little online scuba shop a month after opening it.

My good bud bought a computer online there too. He was out 600 bucks, got nothing for his money.

If I can't see you, you don't get my money these days :)

You just have to be careful who you buy from. Do a bit of research. It's still not foolproof of course, but I've gotten some great deals on ebay.

Some of the same people who sell on the gear sale of this forum sell on Ebay. Case in point, I've bought stuff from Ken (Mo2vation) without any problem (looking for my discount Ken .... :)) Like anything else on Ebay (or life), you've got to evaluate a lot to determine who you're buying from. Ebay gives you a lot of information through their ratings which is similar to SB's ratings but buyer's tend to have more history on Ebay. Unlike Ebay, buying from the gear for sale forum is riskier (somewhat) but that hasn't stopped the amount of sales there.

I look at both for dive equipment.

DiveGolfSki:
Some of the same people who sell on the gear sale of this forum sell on Ebay. Case in point, I've bought stuff from Ken (Mo2vation) without any problem (looking for my discount Ken .... :)) Like anything else on Ebay (or life), you've got to evaluate a lot to determine who you're buying from. Ebay gives you a lot of information through their ratings which is similar to SB's ratings but buyer's tend to have more history on Ebay. Unlike Ebay, buying from the gear for sale forum is riskier (somewhat) but that hasn't stopped the amount of sales there.

I look at both for dive equipment.

I owe you some information, too. I'm working on it. I've been sick for 2 weeks now, and toes-up sick for about 4 or 5 days... its killing me. I'll have your info today.

PROMISE!

I love this place.

---
Ken

craborn:
I want to ask a question. First, all of you are right , some more than others but have your opinion. HOw many of you go to ebay or anything else on line to get AIR FILLS. Some may have their own system but MOST of you go to the LDS. They cannot stay in business just for your few air fills a week. Support them and they will support you. And yes you can but some good stuff used and on line but without the LDS where would the AIR be.

Not this tired old dribble again.....

Gee? what will happen if we let car owner do their own repairs? Where will you get your gasoline?

Hey, you gave me an idea! I'll go buy my own compressor, filters, and T-bottles. Then I'll mount it all in a trailer and spend every weekend at the lake! Think of the money I'll make when divers won't have to leave the lake to get thier air fills! And I won't even have to rent a shop or worry about selling equip to stay alive. What do you think the LDS 3 miles would think of me?

Point being, where there is a need, there will be a supplier. Next argument for buying overpriced equipment?

Mo2vation:
and toes-up sick for about 4 or 5 days... its killing me

Could be worst. You could be 2 bowls sick. I really hate that.:11doh:

I always wondered what that face was for.

jwalko:
I hope I don't start a war here, but I was wondering about opinions reagrding buying gear from Ebay.

How do you feel about it?

What would you consider buying from Ebay (assuming used gear, and not the dive shops advertising new gear on Ebay) and what would you stay away from?

I mentioned in another post that I am looking for new gear. I am thinking regs, BCs, possibly tanks (although that would be last on my list), etc.

I already have exposure suit, mask, fins, snorkel, booties, but am looking to take the next step. I would love some opinions.

Also, when buying used regs, do you find that it is difficult to get your LDS to service them?

John

I've bought a number of things off ebay including a new reg.

I'd talk to Larry at ScubaToys however as I think you may find that his prices are as good as most deals you will find on Ebay.

I've bought a lot of used stuff on Ebay. Mostly things like my fins, booties, stuff like that.

A recent "Undercurrent" article described a diver, who had his camera equipment stolen in PR, finding his stuff for sale on ebay. He did not get it back. Apparently, this was not the first time stolen dive equipment was sighted by the true owners for sale on ebay. I prefer not to buy stolen property, unknowingly or not, so I don't shop at pawn shops or ebay. Or flea markets, either, for jewelry, cameras or other items that are easy to steal and fence in this way. Obviously, if you know the vender, you reduce the risk that you are contributing to theft related crimes by purchasing stolen property, but the vender had better be sure the property wasn't stolen before it got to them!

chicoval:
A recent "Undercurrent" article described a diver, who had his camera equipment stolen in PR, finding his stuff for sale on ebay. He did not get it back. Apparently, this was not the first time stolen dive equipment was sighted by the true owners for sale on ebay. I prefer not to buy stolen property, unknowingly or not, so I don't shop at pawn shops or ebay. Or flea markets, either, for jewelry, cameras or other items that are easy to steal and fence in this way. Obviously, if you know the vender, you reduce the risk that you are contributing to theft related crimes by purchasing stolen property, but the vender had better be sure the property wasn't stolen before it got to them!
So does e-bay breed crime similar to guns killing people and flies causing s%&#.

I bought some stuff from Ebay in the past couple of years. I bought my first dive related item, a Stinger Titanium Grey a year ago. Up to today, I still think I got the best deal from Ebay.

Just be wary of sellers with bad rep. :)

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom