Buying gear from Ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
I'm a great defender of honest vendors. I've been screwed big on ebay, it's the worst place of all to shop.

No doubt about it, ebay has risks that are not found with good LDS and many other online sources. Buyers of scuba gear on ebay need to be knowledgable about what they are buying (brand, model, version, etc), need to be able to gage who they are dealing with, and need to bid accordingly. I have seen LeisurePro ebay offering that were attempting to get a higher price than their internet site advertised prices. I believe they were just trying to compensate for Ebay & Paypal cuts on the transaction rather than trying to increase their profit. But who are the buyers that payed these slightly higher prices? Clearly not divers who had done their homework and make smart descisions.

Ebay buyers need to understand the risks they are taking for the value they think they are getting. Buyers of used regs should expect to have to have them serviced before use. They need to realize that some used regs may not be servicable or that repair costs could wipe out all expected savings and then some. For example, that Mk10/G250 that looks so good could have a piston that was damaged during service or a scratch on the HP o-ring seating surface that will require the replacement of the body to correct. Problems like that would eat up your savings real fast and need to be understood as just part of the risk. That said, I have purchased 8 used Scubapro 1st stages and about 15 2nd stages with only one that may be unusable. And that was fully expected as it was 3 SP metal 2nds, mostly green, that I purchase for $5 knowing that all rubber was unservicable. Only scuba gear disappointment was a SP frameless mask with the rubber seperating from the glass. But when you pay $20 for something that retails for over $100, you can absord an occasional loss. I've also purchased another half dozen or so quality masks (at about 20 cents on the dollar) with only pleasant surprises at what good shape they were in.

So if you are unwilling to do your homework and become a knowledgable buyer, and to take some risk of lost $$ and disappointing products; stay away from ebay. But if you are going to be a smart consumer, then weigh all of your purchasing options, consider both aquisition and service costs, and make purchasing decisions you are happy and comfortable with.

Good Luck

One more for ebay. I bought a drysuit 2 years ago for $150. It had new seals and zipper. I did go back and forth with the seller on condition and size. The seller was more than willing to provide any info I requested and even offered more photos without me asking for them. I would be careful of those who are not so willing. I,ve got over 30 dives on it and no issues at all. Some advise - know what you want and have a budget, don't be afraid to lose the bid and ask as many questions as needed.

I have (at last count):
1 Triweight dive skin - bought LDS
2 Masks - Bought LDS
1 Tank - Bought LDS
3 sets of fins - LDS
2 snorkels - LDS
1 weight belt (pouch type) and weights - LDS
1 reel (aluminum, ordered) - LDS
1 dive knife - LDS
1 dive watch - LDS
2 - 3mm wetsuits, new, ebay (total $129)
1 - 5mm wetsuit, new, ebay (total $60)
1 - 7mm semi-dry, lightly used, ebay (total $130)
2 UW cameras, 3 strobes, cables, trays, used ebay ( total about $350), still going strong, 40+ dives
1 used camera, strobe -LDS flooded fourth use
2 regulators, 1st, 2nd stages, octos, gages used ebay, (total $180 after servicing)
2 BCDs, used, ebay, still going strong after 50+ dives ($120)
several additional masks and snorkels included with the other gear purchases
6 dive computers (resold 3 of them) (total about $1000) most of the $1000 was for my Citizen Cyber Aqualand NX ($350 + $119 for cradle/comp interface)
- Mares Genius hoseless dove it 40 times, its battery gave out, serviced for 70$, sold it
- A couple of resources, kept one for the wife, sold the others
- A Cochran Commander, use as a backup for my Cyber Aqualand NX
- CYber Aqualand NX, was near enough to new I was able to get a warrenty on it
Dive Gear semi-hard shell case - $70 at Samsonite outlet
Dive gear meash bag - New at LDS
O2 Analyzer (for Nitrox) - New off ebay, $139
COCop - New, from web site, bougth 2 with spare cartridges.
Dive float - New from LDS
1 new console (wifes SPG flooded) - used, ebay

Over all I believe I have about 3k in dive gear, mixed between Ebay and LDS. I believe if I had gotten it all from the LDS it would be closer to 6-10K.

Mike

I want to ask a question. First, all of you are right , some more than others but have your opinion. HOw many of you go to ebay or anything else on line to get AIR FILLS. Some may have their own system but MOST of you go to the LDS. They cannot stay in business just for your few air fills a week. Support them and they will support you. And yes you can but some good stuff used and on line but without the LDS where would the AIR be.

craborn:
I want to ask a question. First, all of you are right , some more than others but have your opinion. HOw many of you go to ebay or anything else on line to get AIR FILLS. Some may have their own system but MOST of you go to the LDS. They cannot stay in business just for your few air fills a week. Support them and they will support you. And yes you can but some good stuff used and on line but without the LDS where would the AIR be.

I wholeheartedly agree. I love my LDS and everyone that works there. Unfortunately I can not afford all the gear I want buying it from them. That doesn’t mean I don’t buy anything from them – just not some things.

I have purchased recently my OS dry gloves, Ikelite housing for my video camera, reg and pony system (used) - all from my LDS. I also have all my gear serviced from them and my fills.

I’m just saying that you just can’t beat eBay for some deals. I have yet to be burned on a purchase from eBay, but expect to some day – that’s the tradeoff I guess.

craborn:

Do you do your grocery shopping at the 7-11 just so you will be able to buy gas there when you need it?

The LDS I do business with accepts the internt and uses it as part of his total business model. He's appreciates the business I bring and send his way. He understands that he may not be competetive in all cases but is happy just to get the opportunity to compete.

My favorite part about eBay auctions is watching silly people pay more for a used piece of equipment than what they can buy it for new. I've seen this at least once or twice a week, every week, for the entire time I've been watching items. Sometimes, the bidding fever just kills a person.

steveann:
My favorite part about eBay auctions is watching silly people pay more for a used piece of equipment than what they can buy it for new. I've seen this at least once or twice a week, every week, for the entire time I've been watching items. Sometimes, the bidding fever just kills a person.

As a regular seller who has thousands and thousands of transactions on eBay, I can tell you that for recognizable, good condition, late model name brand Scuba Gear (most of the stuff I try to sell), the huge percentage of people that "over pay" are overseas (Europe, Asia) or Canadian. Mostly Europe.

There are clearly distribution issues in getting this desirable gear to those countries.

Is it "over paying" if you get what you want at a price you're willing to pay? I don't think it is. I hate selling to Europe. Its a PITA to ship stuff. The Seller pays, but I fgtta fill out forms (one for stuff below 4 pounds, another for over 4 pounds, there are no accurate online shipping estimators so often I come up short, etc.) then I gotta yammer on to the bluehairs behind the counter at the PO, stand in that friggen line. It sucks. Nothing worst. This time wasting cuts into my margins. It blows.

The only thing worse is people who want stuff delivered to military addresses. They have what looks like a normal address and Zip, but I get stoned at the Kiosk. More forms, gotta stand in line, blah blah blah. In my next round, I am so not selling to military addresses. I hate it.

As to the LDS arguement - I gotta laugh again. Its not just airfills - all of us got trained someplace, too.... LDS is the retailer of last resort, just like the food mart at the gas station. They have overhead, they can charge a premium and the people that shop there simply don't know any better.

An LDS has you for 50 dives (for the average diver, maybe a year or so), then you're gone, baby. The fall off is tremendous.

If you got a couple of hundred dives and are still buying gear at your LDS, rock on. I'll just never get that.

eBay rules.

---
Ken

I won't buy anything on ebay. I got screwed twice by two different sellers. Ebay supports sellers, not buyers and they totally blew me off. One seller continued screwing people until he got so many negative feedbacks in a couple of week period that he just changed ID"s. The other closed their little online scuba shop a month after opening it.

My good bud bought a computer online there too. He was out 600 bucks, got nothing for his money.

If I can't see you, you don't get my money these days :)

Al Mialkovsky:
If I can't see you, you don't get my money these days :)

I'd offer a discount not to see some of the people I sell to....

:D

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom