Buying Gear for Christmas, Found Packages from Diver Supply super...Safety Concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Donnie:

Congrats on the new gear!

I figure you balance it out with most dive shops. If a place wants to always charge me 100% MSRP -- AND never throws me a deal OR the odd air fill OR truly great service, I will look elsewhere. But, as you understand, deals can come in all forms -- including in your case discounted (or free) classes and free booties. And your shop has treated you very well!

I wanted to spend a moment talking a bit about buying gear going forward. Here, FWIW, is my advice:

a) Do not worry about matching brands except in very rare instances that likely don't apply to you. Your BC doesn't care what brand your reg is, what the brand of your dive bag is nor who made your tank, weight belt or fins.

b) Do not worry about the colors. Who cares if they match? My brother dove with a pink BC for about 5 years as it was on sale for about $300 less than the same model in black.

c) Take good care of your gear. You rely on it, repairs that could have been avoided cost money and the gear lasts longer.

d) Most dive shops have at least one decent sale per year. Get on the mailing list. Figure out what you need. Save your money and go early.

e) Research each item before purchase. For me, that includes both internet searches and face-to-face conversations (including with the LDS). Why do people like and dislike about it? Does it seem reliable? Rent or borrow it if you can. (Note: there are lots of brands. Some you may not have heard of yet make truly great stuff. Some you may have heard of I would not purchase). Can it be serviced locally and at what cost/interval?

f) Do you really need this piece of gear? I find when you really need something, you have a much clearer idea of what exactly to look for. When you simply want something (or anticipate needing it in the future), I find that you often end up making a poor choice. That means that either that piece of gear sits in the closet (gathering dust) as it was never really needed or you find it suboptimal and end up replacing as soon as you are able.

g) Save your money until you can buy the gear you really need. Don't buy something cheaper that sort of meets your needs.

h) When you want to try something new, do it with as little financial commitment as you can. Want to try your hand with an underwater camera? Will a friend lend you one for part of a dive? Can you rent one? If you need to buy, get something that will provide decent results -- enough to know whether this really is for you.

i) For a given piece of gear, figure out what attributes are most important to you. For lots of gear, fit is at the top of my list. Masks, suits and BCs all come to mind. There are tons of great regs out there -- it is unlikely the extra cost of Ti is something you need to spring for.

Finally, what looks like a great deal might be. Or might not be. Take the package you were looking at for $966 -- BC, reg, octo, and spg/computer. This gives you an idea of sale prices from a LDS (earlier this year) http://underwatersports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/DiversFairMailer.pdf . Personally, I think the package that was about $130 more was a much better deal.

Hey guys it's Don,
Pretty much my parents just bought a house so funds are very tight right now. Normally I would want to go to my LDS for gear well simply because they are awesome and for every certification I have done so far and including my upcoming certification in the Spring, I am getting a "scholarship" from them for. I.e. they pick kids who they see are dedicated and have a future in the sport and waive the fees associated with the classes.

Well I am starting work soon and as a (very) late (or very early lol) Christmas present/Birthday present I plan on buying my own Scuba Gear. Now I understand Scuba Gear - Snorkeling Equipment - Largest Scuba Diving Equipment Selection - Divers Supply makes their own gear and that is what they sell and how they sell it so cheap. But for example here:
Scuba Gear Premium System Package @ Divers-Supply.com

a) is what they are selling in their packages considered good gear for someone who plans on diving at least once a month during/around peak seasons (May - Oct)
b) should I worry about the cost being so low/is there safety issues or does the gear they sell so cheap or does it not last long.

I plan to buy this:
Scuba Gear Premium System Package @ Divers-Supply.com

With this configuration:
View attachment 141655

How long will this gear last me if I treat it well and is it considered good gear, should I upgrade anything. Thank You :)

I often use Divers Supply, and they are easy to deal with. If you have been availing of free SCUBA Lessons from a shop, they deserve some loyalty, at a minimum you should ask them to put together the best package possible for the same $$$$$'s. There is nothing wrong with the package you have listed, but really talk to the guys who have been financing your SCUBA Training.

CHeers,

Roger

Your post raised two issues, a) WHERE to buy, and WHAT to buy, although I suspect you intended to focus on only one. You received A LOT of feedback on the 'where', and I think you made the right decision there, given what you describe as your LDS' generous behavior.
UncleDonnie:
I am not ordering online . . . I am buying from my LDS and that is that.
Good call!

I do think your questions about the 'what' still merit consideration. So, let's take the 'where' out of it, and consider the factors in your first time gear purchase. What if you had come to SB and the package you were asking about was being recommended by your (generous, helpful, trusted) LDS?
a) is what they are selling in their packages considered good gear for someone who plans on diving at least once a month during/around peak seasons (May - Oct)
b) should I worry about the cost being so low/is there safety issues or does the gear they sell so cheap or does it not last long.
The answers to the questions are a matter of opinion, but generally no one has said that the gear is 'bad', and it really isn't - it will function reasonably well over 6 dives a year, for many years to come. And, you shouldn't worry about the cost being so low - it really isn't. There are really no safety issues about which to be concerned, simply because of the (purportedly) low price.

But, you also said something about how your LDS may view you:
they pick kids who they see are dedicated and have a future in the sport . . .
Let's look at you in the context of someone who may well become more actively involved in diving than 6 dives a year. Let's consider you as a new diver, diving in cold water, possibly with increasing frequency, and consider the gear in the Diver's Supply package as a test case.

First, the reg is solid. It breathes well, is simple, and is set up for cold water. Whether it is a discontinued model or not, it is likely to meet your needs for some time to come. There are plenty of discontinued regulator models out there which are popular, functional, and serviceable long after they are discontinued (Apeks ATX200 comes to mind). I personally like a first stage with two HP ports (in case I decide to add a transmitter for wireless AI) and at least 4 LP ports (two second stages, two inflators - BCD and drysuit), which the CDX5 has. The computer - you have received quite a bit of feedback, including 'Don't buy one yet - get the rest of your core gear and go diving.', and I very much agree with that sentiment. I also agree with the concerns expressed about relying entirely on a wireless AI unit - I wouldn't, and I would discourage any new diver from doing so. A simple SPG is a good starting point. Learn to manage your breathing, learn to manage your gas consumption, and use your SPG to help in doing that. A good diver knows how much s/he breathes, under a variety of conditions, and hardly needs a SPG, except as an indicator that there is a leak somewhere. :) OK, so you will use the SPG to monitor, but also use it to learn. IF you get a computer, find a simple, inexpensive, wrist-mounted, nitrox-capable computer, and use it primarily as your depth gauge.

As for the BCD, you really need to ask, as a diver going primarily into cold water, if what you want and need is going to be a jacket BCD with a reasonable amount of floaty padding, that is weight-integrated? My answer would be, 'No'.
How long will this gear last me if I treat it well and is it considered good gear, should I upgrade anything.
Whatever you buy, it will quite likely last you until you decide what you second set of gear is going to be. We often refer to buying gear only once. It is possible, but takes part of the fun out of diving. :) In fact, I am increasingly of the opinion that the first purchase may be ebtter focused on used, inexpensive, and simple but functional. Bonairetrip said it well:
Bonairetrip:
Save your money until you can buy the gear you really need. Don't buy something cheaper that sort of meets your needs.
So, as for the upgrade question, I would consider a 'downgrade' of sorts, to something more simple, more functional. Use your (generous, helpful, trusted) LDS to help you try different rigs before you buy, to help you evaluate the possibility of used gear as a starting point. I wouldn't sink $1000 into gear just yet.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom