How do I pick complete package?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Do i even get a complete package or is better to buy seperately? Deals on here look good compared to piecing it out (Buy Scuba Gear Packages for Diving at Best Price | Divers Supply) some even come with a tank. But as a fairly new diver i am very overwhelmed by the options. Does anyone have advice on how to get gear or am I overthinking it and I should just pick one? Any advice is appreciated i don't want to rush in and get the wrong thing but i also want to rush in and get mostly self sufficient.

Most of the time “packages” aren’t that great…I’d buy gear individually because you can get exactly what you want.

I'd recommend renting a few different versions of items to see what you like, before buying anything at all. Rent a backplate and wing at least once, and rent a jacket BCD at least once. Rent a few different regs.

When it comes time to buy, go piece by piece in the order of what you hate most about your rentals. For me, that was fins/mask/boots/gloves, then a computer, then a cold water wetsuit, then regs, then backplate and wing, then tanks, then fins (again), then a warm water wetsuit, then a drysuit, then a (nicer) computer. And a bunch of small stuff along the way.

I would definitely not recommend buying tanks until you have all of the other stuff completely sorted out. They take the longest to pay for themselves, and you get the least benefit from owning them, since you can't easily travel with them. Many divers never buy tanks at all.

I bought most of my gear during or right after taking the OW course at the local dive shop. I looked for good used stuff, BC that fit, etc. Worked well and I haven't replaced much since then (2005). I'm still using the reg I bought used 18 years ago.

Do i even get a complete package or is better to buy seperately? Deals on here look good compared to piecing it out (Buy Scuba Gear Packages for Diving at Best Price | Divers Supply) some even come with a tank. But as a fairly new diver i am very overwhelmed by the options. Does anyone have advice on how to get gear or am I overthinking it and I should just pick one? Any advice is appreciated i don't want to rush in and get the wrong thing but i also want to rush in and get mostly self sufficient.
Since you linked to Divers Supply, I'll mention that my son and I both ordered their Scuba Gear Value System Package and with chose 2 upgrade options (on the page): upgraded the regulator to the Covert balanced regulator, and also opted for the 3 gauge console (adds a compass). We've got well over 100 dives on these packages and have been very pleased.

My gear was bought as a package from Diver’s Supply. You just have to be sure that everything in there is actually what you want- don’t get a package because it’s “cheaper“ and then spend extra to swap stuff out. I got a HOG BP/w & reg set cheaper than I could’ve bought comparable individual components elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom