Buying First Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you mentioned Dive Rite I will say the first reg I owned was Dive Rite, have been very happy with them, to the point where I now have 4 XT1 first stages (doubles set up, pony reg, spare) and 1 FT1 first stage (single tank setup). No complaints with Dive Rite. The local shops to me weren't servicing them right in my opinion, I now send them directly to Dive Rite and they service them when needed. Honestly I think if I weren't paying shipping it would be cheaper than my LDS, and I am certain they are using proper kits and are proficient at it.

I've been waiting a couple months for a z2
I had no idea.
I've had good luck with ebay. A mint Z2x set for $195. and a mint Z1 second for $100 this last year.

Although not a diaphragm regulator as the OP specified, the Atomic is a high performing, reliable regulator at a moderate price.

Since you mentioned Dive Rite I will say the first reg I owned was Dive Rite, have been very happy with them, to the point where I now have 4 XT1 first stages (doubles set up, pony reg, spare) and 1 FT1 first stage (single tank setup). No complaints with Dive Rite. The local shops to me weren't servicing them right in my opinion, I now send them directly to Dive Rite and they service them when needed. Honestly I think if I weren't paying shipping it would be cheaper than my LDS, and I am certain they are using proper kits and are proficient at it.

I have a Dive Rite sidemount set that got split to be a deco reg and a spare first/second. The spare first and second have been pressed into service (separately) several times and I have a hard time telling the difference from my Apeks XTX50/DST.

The OP mentioned wanting a diaphragm reg. Deep6 would fit the bill.

After using ScubaPros, Atomics, Dive Rites, and Hollis regs, I'm now a big fan of the Deep6 regs. I don't have any complaints about my previous brands, but a couple of things sold me on the Deep6. First, I took the rebuild class with them and go to learn how the regs are built, inside and out. Unless you work for a shop, you can't do that with other brands. Even if you don't want to rebuild the regs yourself, you can just send them in for a rebuild. They'll turn them around pretty quickly for you. Also, if you buy their signature reg, they'll send a rebuild kit along with the reg. Having the parts with you means any proficient reg tech should be able to fix your problem.

I agree with what @tbone1004 suggested about getting two. Having a spare in the event of a problem can quickly save a dive. Oh and my second reason for liking the brand...for the price of one nice ScubaPro reg, you can get two Deep6's!

what's your plan in event of a failure? get it rebuilt or use a rental? If it's use a rental, leave the spare at home, but I have seen people while travelling try to get their reg rebuilt last minute and the sticker shock is scary
There is no spare reg at home!
I have rarely came across rec divers travelled a spare reg.
I have never had any issue when using rental equipment. Most if not all students including myself in SE Asia are using rental equipment(included in the package).

There is no spare reg at home!
I have rarely came across rec divers travelled a spare reg.
I have never had any issue when using rental equipment. Most if not all students including myself in SE Asia are using rental equipment(included in the package).
so if they're using rental regulators, how does that apply to a thread discussing purchasing a regulator to avoid renting regulators? Especially now with COVID moving around and people not always knowing how regulators are disinfected *if they even are* between use.

If the goal is to avoid renting regulators, then you need to carry a spare because the concept of getting a regulator serviced while travelling is laughable. If you're OK renting in the event of a failure, then don't carry one, but it doesn't hurt anything to throw it in your backpack which isn't usually weighed when flying.

Let's be realistic about the times we live in. Look at the features you want and buy whatever you can actually get.

And for some G260 goodness. I just bought one of these from my friendly LDS for $125 off MSRP. The Mark 17 Evo is being dropped for the Mark 19 Evo, for single tank, I prefer the Mark 17 Evo:

Like Tom I too carry a full spare set, ready to roll, usually a Titan LX Supreme (which is now called the Core Supreme). I maintain my equipment so have never needed it but I have loaned it out to many a grateful diver. And when they hand it back they usually gush over how nice it is to dive with.

James

Should I buy eg. a spare wing for my overseas diving just in case it is damaged on transit? Of course NOT.
wet suit/dry suit
computer,
mask
booties etc etc
LOL

Back
Top Bottom