Buying First Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should I buy eg. a spare wing for my overseas diving just in case it is damaged on transit? Of course NOT.
wet suit/dry suit
computer,
mask
booties etc etc
LOL
You can dive without a wing by adjusting weighting, hard to dive without a regulator. I have had to use the spare but more often I’ve loaned it out to others with problems.

Should I buy eg. a spare wing for my overseas diving just in case it is damaged on transit? Of course NOT.
wet suit/dry suit
computer,
mask
booties etc etc
LOL
if that wing fails, do you expect it to be serviced when you arrive or do you deal with rentals?

If you looked at my original comment on bringing the spare it was to address what is a laughable "selling point" of regulators like Scubapro and Aqualung for global service while you're travelling when the reality is that is not something that you are going to get serviced while you're travelling, that was the only point. If you are OK with rentals, don't bring one, if you really don't want to use a rental, then bring it. I'll stand by that and have for as long as I've been travelling with dive gear and it appears I'm not the only one who feels that way.

You can dive without a wing by adjusting weighting, hard to dive without a regulator. I have had to use the spare but more often I’ve loaned it out to others with problems.

Same - I carry a spare set with me, I've swapped out a second stage once on a boat for myself, that's it. But I have lent out a first stage at least 3 times in past 2 years to a random diver on boat having issues.

There is a easy solution to any equipment failure ie, rent one.
Sometimes I even had gone for a scuba trip with mask and computer only. And I have met/seen on numerous occasions that some divers didn't even have any!

How do those divers without any equipment survived?

There is a easy solution to any equipment failure ie, rent one.
Sometimes I even had gone for a scuba trip with mask and computer only. And I have met/seen on numerous occasions that some divers didn't even have any!

How do those divers without any equipment survived?
That is often the case but one a Maldives trip a few years ago I had to loan a computer to one person and a regulator to another while out to sea. Even on land some people can find limited availability of some equipment but I have extra stuff so I bring more than one, I may not recommend someone buy two of everything when first starting out but in time we all tend to end up with extras.

When 3 of us travel, I have one complete spare set as a parts donor with us...

It is an exact match to two of the sets (wife's and daughter's), and was actually mine until I started traveling with my DH....

Man, this thing went sideways quick....

I would ask you first, how much do you want to spend and what features you want/need... If you want to dive cold water, then go for a cold water reg, those typically include many of the higher end features... You will be paying more though. If no cold water then that opens up from the cheap to the expensive. I would definitely focus on the balanced regs and not look at the ultra cheap unbalanced ones...

Most regulators are pretty good for recreational divers. Take good care of your gear and it will eaisly last 20+ years. Redundancy is always a concern, but in 40+ years of diving, I've only needed a plug for a safe second first stage that was free-flowing and that went to a friend out of my spare kit. I've never carried a spare reg.

I just saw a good offer of the core today. But my long term plans are some tech training up to 50m in the mid term.

@tbone1004 IIRC in another thread I read a while back you said an adjustable 2nd stage is useful if diving deeper than 40m because regs tend to free flow slightly at depth and the adjuster can be useful to dial-in the cracking pressure.

The core supreme does not have an adjuster dial - only a venturi switch ( not sure if it’s binary on/off of can be dialled in). Do you think its worthwhile getting the core supreme for depths up to 50-60m max?

Back
Top Bottom