Buying a used Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rdolmat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Any suggestions on buying a used dry suit?

I'm considering whether to buy one off Craigslist (locally, so I can try it on), or a used dry suit from my LDS for $200 more?

I feel the LDS might be a little better, since they've probably looked over it, fixed leaks, and would prolly fix it up if it leaked in my first few dives. Plus, they'll be more willing to do upgrades and re-fit it...

any ideas?

thanks!

The better the deal seems the worse it probably is. Seals on a used suit are likely to be in rough shape, and even if they're in good shape may already be trimmed too big for you. Be aware that any used DS may end up costing anywhere from $200 to $500 more than you thought it would.

Any suggestions on buying a used dry suit?

I'm considering whether to buy one off Craigslist (locally, so I can try it on), or a used dry suit from my LDS for $200 more?

I feel the LDS might be a little better, since they've probably looked over it, fixed leaks, and would prolly fix it up if it leaked in my first few dives. Plus, they'll be more willing to do upgrades and re-fit it...

any ideas?

thanks!

I would go with the LDS, if you like them, for all the reasons you are already considering.

You say $200 more, but $200 more than what? If one is $200 and one is $400, that's one thing. But if one is $1000 and one is $1200, that's another. Kinda makes a difference - at least in my mind.

That said - if you buy from the LDS, you might have an option to use it to go diving once before committing - esp. since it is used anyway. One more dive shouldn't matter, right? Also, see if they'd be willing to fix any leaks for, say, 2 months. That could be worth some extra money (either of those ideas). Don't get carried away - keep in mind that they may not be making much money at all from selling a used drysuit - so you don't want to make it more of a hassle to deal with you than its worth.

For the Craigslist guy - you can always ask if you can dive it first. The worse he can do is so no. The issue here is the guy worrying about being ripped off. You probably don't want to leave him cash - but you could maybe leave a driver's license - or better yet, ask him to come with you to a dive site (I dunno if that's practical). You could try a pool session too, if that would work better for you.

In general - my main concern would be leaks. You need to have that addressed in some fashion. You don't want to get stuck with someone else's problem.

Seals on a used suit are likely to be in rough shape, and even if they're in good shape may already be trimmed too big for you.
I dunno about that. There are a lot of suits out there on the market that have only been used a few times. Even my suit, 5 years old and 20+ dives later, looks practically brand new (and has never been trimmed). Don't diss the used stuff outright :)

You can definitely get a good deal off of Craig's List, eBay, SB, etc... There are some key things to look out for. Ask about leaks, the integrity and age of the seals. Most seals have sizing rings so you can get a rough idea as to the size of the seals by the remaining number of rings. And the most important thing to ask about is the integrity of the zipper.

I know several people on SB that were able to get great deals on dry suits including myself who got a one year old suit that had been dove 5 times for $400. Having said that, depending on the seller, some will guarantee some will sell "as is" so there may be some risk. One thing to take into account is if the LDS is selling it for X dollars more, can I get the necessary repairs done for the price difference?

If you are looking for a guarantee, you will probably want to go to the LDS, but if you are looking for a good deal, asking the appropriate questions will get you a good suit from SB, eBay, etc.

Good points from everyone!

Thanks so much...

I think I'm veering towards the DS...it just feels a little 'safer'.

And the difference in price is $300 on Craigslist, and $500+tax at the LDS.

:coffee:

Just be careful what you buy. Most drysuits will last between seven and ten years with normal use. After a certain point, the material will start to deteriorate, even if it is not being used. It is very much like the deterioration that takes place in the tires and other rubber parts of a car that has been stored on blocks without being driven. Make sure you know the true age of the suit and its use history. For myself, I would never buy a suit more than two years old.

I went with my LDS for the after sale service - never regretted it. If there is a problem, they'd help you out in all likelihood. The Craigslist guy will be gone like the wind.....

$500 is a good buy, BTW

I bought a drysuit off ebay. I talked with the seller and ended up getting a killer deal. The suit was exactly what I was expecting and I have been very happy with it.

You CAN get a good deal on a good drysuit in the used market....it won't always be that way, but since the guy is local, you may want to see if you can check it out, try it on, and maybe even try it out. If something doesn't feel right, definitely feel free to stop the transaction. Buying a used drysuit seems to get a bad rep, but it's possible that you can come away with a good deal on a great drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom