Buying a New Digital SLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikon, Olympus and the rest of the camera makers produce excellent products without a doubt. And it's genearally true, the differences are probably more subtle than in the past.

But next time you're watching a football game, and you see a line of photographers on the sidelines...all of them with those big white lenses. They are all shooting Canon.

There's a reason for that.

Safe shooting.

Jeff

jtoorish:
Nikon, Olympus and the rest of the camera makers produce excellent products without a doubt. And it's genearally true, the differences are probably more subtle than in the past.

But next time you're watching a football game, and you see a line of photographers on the sidelines...all of them with those big white lenses. They are all shooting Canon.

There's a reason for that.

Safe shooting.

Jeff

Canon are not the only ones who make big white lenses!

and no not all sports photographers shoot canon!

in this months practical photography magazine they had a sports shoot off between the canon 8Mp (1D MK II i think it was) and the Nikon 4Mp D2H (i think) and the Nikon came out the over all winner.

i would trust their comments more than someone on here!

it is not all ways as black and white as you think.

doole:
Not a Canon user, I suppose...

no i am not but i did not state any where in my reply which was was better than the other!

i said read the reviews, check the lens, ports and housing availability and most of all go and play with them.

as a side note before i bought my d70 and more recently d70s i had alsways had olympus cameras from the c930 right the way through to the c5050 and the nikon menu system was closer to that of olympus than canon.

plus at the time canon housings were being released next month for about 6 months!!

I've wanted to buy a nice Nikon SLR for 30 years. When the time finally came to upgrade from a P&S to a DSLR I spent weeks web surfing for research. I REALLY wanted to get a Nikon but in the end I chose Canon over Nikon (and paid more for the 20D than the D70 in the process).

For 90% of the folks out there either brand will do anything you could ever want. Both companies sell cameras and lenses to satisfy any creative need you may have. Both companies have great support from housing manufacturers.

I chose Canon over Nikon because I felt the 20D was better than the D70, I felt Canon had the edge in lenses (although Nikon has the edge in flash technology), Canon seems to be a 1/2 step ahead of Nikon in releasing new technology/features and finally, because the pros have migrated from Nikon to Canon over the last 20 years. There are simply more pros shooting Canon now than Nikon. Nikon used to rule but Canon is now the new kid on the block.

Keep one thing in mind - regardless of which DSLR you buy, it will be sooooo much better than your old P&S that you won't care what brand you have. Shooting a DSLR underwater for the first time is an amazing experience.

Good luck and don't sweat the camera brand!

I've refrained from posting thus far because I did not want to get into a who is better argument (as you may see some bickering in this thread). The fact of the matter is, the one that is better is the one that is better for you and your photography. What qualifies as "better" really depends on what works best in the end for you. Listen to the pros and cons of each option you have. Go to a shop, pick up each in your hand and play around with it. You may be even able to rent/borrow one for the day and play around with it before you decide, but in the end, make the choice based on what works for you. I've made my choice. Ultimately, that is of no relevance to you, so you make your choice.

I just bought the Rebel XT with the Ikelite housing and 2 - DS 125 strobes. I'm in Canada right now and the Rebel was about 2/3 the cost of the 20D. I used the difference to but the 10-22 mm lense. I think the good thing about Cannon is you can use the lenses on any of their bodies. I've never shot underwater before so I'm taking a course from Mike Veitch in Yap. I also bought the 100mm macro. I was seriously looking at the 60mm but Ike had no ports in stock for it. Good set up? Would you add anything?

Diver Dennis:
I just bought the Rebel XT with the Ikelite housing and 2 - DS 125 strobes. I'm in Canada right now and the Rebel was about 2/3 the cost of the 20D. I used the difference to but the 10-22 mm lense. I think the good thing about Cannon is you can use the lenses on any of their bodies. I've never shot underwater before so I'm taking a course from Mike Veitch in Yap. I also bought the 100mm macro. I was seriously looking at the 60mm but Ike had no ports in stock for it. Good set up? Would you add anything?

NICE setup. I'm jealous.

I have that 100 mm mac and on land it changed my life. No bug is safe! Doesn't look like anything special, but one of the sharpest lenses that ever passed through my hands.

Keep us posted; I'd be really interested to hear how it functions underwater. I think maybe it was a better choice than the 60 anyway; more forgiving DOF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom