Buying a New Digital SLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
I'll be posting pictures along the way doole. As I said I was a bit worried about getting the 100mm. As a brand noobie UW shooter I hope it works for me.

I'm pretty sure you'll find it awesome. I wouldn't bother taking it on any drift dives, though. <g> Strobe placement will be a tad critical, I would think.

Yes, good point about the drift dives doole.

doole:
Really? Who else makes them?

Nikon does have at least one big white lens, 70-200mm F2.8 VR.:11: Don't know what's the reason behind that.

I agree that Canon vs Nikon is pretty much a topic that will never be settled. People who likes Canon will stay with Canon and people who likes Nikon will stay with Nikon and some people may switch between brands for various reasons.

For what its worth, for underwater use, Nikon has always been the leader with lots of support from various manufacturers. Canon finally started to catch up, mainly with 20D as just about every housing manufacturers support it so Canon is catching up with Nikon in this niche.

Personally I don't shoot any pro sports and could not have careless if all the pro sports photographers use big white lens. After all, those big white lens will reflect off the domeport/flat port for uw use so that is definitely not a good thing for what I intend to use my camera for :05:

bertschb:
Keep one thing in mind - regardless of which DSLR you buy, it will be sooooo much better than your old P&S that you won't care what brand you have. Shooting a DSLR underwater for the first time is an amazing experience.

Good luck and don't sweat the camera brand!
I have long thought the same thing. I have had several P&S digitals over the years, the last two have been the Oly 4040, and now the 7070. Both have been great so far, but do haver their limitations. Thus, making me think about upgrading to a DSLR the next go around.

My question is I've been grown accustomed to using the screen on the back of the camera to frame and shoot underwater shots. Sticking the camera out in front of you is VERY easy and I'm wondering what the impact would be going back to the view finder???

Any feedback?

I had the same concerns as well, having to go from looking at the LCD screen to a viewfinder, but now I can't think of any other way. Now when I use my Oly C5050 I find myself using the viewfinder not realizing that the LCD screen is displaying the image too.

I was a little worried about framing too but found it's no problem at all. Don't let that hold you back!

ssra30:
Nikon does have at least one big white lens, 70-200mm F2.8 VR.:11: Don't know what's the reason behind that.

I agree that Canon vs Nikon is pretty much a topic that will never be settled. People who likes Canon will stay with Canon and people who likes Nikon will stay with Nikon and some people may switch between brands for various reasons.

For what its worth, for underwater use, Nikon has always been the leader with lots of support from various manufacturers. Canon finally started to catch up, mainly with 20D as just about every housing manufacturers support it so Canon is catching up with Nikon in this niche.

Personally I don't shoot any pro sports and could not have careless if all the pro sports photographers use big white lens. After all, those big white lens will reflect off the domeport/flat port for uw use so that is definitely not a good thing for what I intend to use my camera for :05:

I understand that in Canon's case the reason is that they feel that lenses with a particular ratio of size to internal volume need to be white in order to reflect sunlight, in order to relieve heating of the barrel, which can cause enough disturbance inside the lens to degrade the image. Maybe the Nikon lens had the same problem...

doole:
..... need to be white in order to reflect sunlight, in order to relieve heating of the barrel, which can cause enough disturbance inside the lens to degrade the image

yeah, that hasn't been an issue for me underwater yet.

Back
Top Bottom