buying a compressor...........which one??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gene1340

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
I am new to this forum, and for that matter diving in general. I gat certified last year and have about 75 dives in. Am in the process of taking rescue/cpr along with Nitrox. I live in Delaware and don't have a dive shop very close to me. I am going to get a compressor and wanted some input. I have already looked at the Bauer Oceanic, the Alkin/Airtexe line, and the Nuvair. Don't have all the prices yet, but it looks they are fairly similar. Does one stand out above the rest? I am intending on blending my own Nitrox soon after the purchase, but I still need to do more homework on that, but I want the compressor to be able to handle it. I wanted to try and keep it under $4500.00 if I could. I am a machinist by trade so any other options that might be available I am willing to look at. Looking for input from experienced people.
Thanks,
Gene

gene1340,

I am not an expert but was in a similar poistion. There are plenty of experts that will share their experience, but be a little patient with your thread. You may want to do a search on nitrox sticks or trimix blending as there are many threads with information on compressor options provided by very experienced individuals. I found the information very informative and useful.

Good luck

"Oxygen Hackers Companion" do a search on this site or google it imho it is a must have to get started.

gene1340:
. . .[Snip] I am intending on blending my own Nitrox soon after the purchase, but I still need to do more homework on that, but I want the compressor to be able to handle it. I wanted to try and keep it under $4500.00 if I could. I am a machinist by trade so any other options that might be available I am willing to look at. Looking for input from experienced people.
Thanks,
Gene

I went with a new Bauer Oceanus. My rig can be seen at http://www.magnificentrelief.com/nitrox.htm

With tax and shipping, the Bauer cost about $4700. All the other stuff I bought to mix Nitrox and fill my O2 tanks ran the bill up to $5200. Trimix added another $600 (He analyzer). Search thedecostop.com as well.

Here's my parts list:

Big Stuff ($5200)

Bauer Oceanus Compressor - $4700 ($4305 + tax and shipping)
Two O2 analyzers - $210 (Oxycheq)
Welding Reg - $60
Medical Reg - (mine was free, but $35 on ebay)
Manifold Block - $80
Line valve - $35
Nitrox whip - $35
The Stik was about $20, but I had a lot of the PVC already.
Extra filters and synthetic oil - $100

O2 whip ($100)

(for filling my "D" bottles and a scuba tank)

O2 hose - $15
Needle valve - $28
CGA 540 nut and nipple - $16
2.5 inch contents gauge - (free, but welding shop has O2 clean for $16)
2.5 inch fill gauge - (free, but welding shop has O2 clean for $16)
2 brass Tees - $10

Yokes ($50 - $100)

Scuba yoke (came with compressor)
CGA-870 yoke - $? (mine was free)
Male and female QDs - $20
Bleed valve - $35

Hi again. I have to thank all of you for your input so far. Stone that is as impressive rig! I hope to have something identical to that and would say it appears within reach!Might have to increase the budget a bit, but we all know going in it isn't a cheap hobby. I mostly like the "convenience factor" of the whole thing of doing myself, plus I tinker with everything. I ordered the "Oxygen Hackers Companion" and the other one a regulator repair today! Stone,did you purchase your machine a while ago? The reason I ask is the price. Rayplace is the best deal I can find at $4520. Does anyone have any comments on why or why not to add the 444cf storage/cascade cylinders? Thanks again everyone for the information. I am telling myself to be patient about this and do more homework on it first!

gene1340:
Stone,did you purchase your machine a while ago? The reason I ask is the price. Rayplace is the best deal I can find at $4520. Does anyone have any comments on why or why not to add the 444cf storage/cascade cylinders? Thanks again everyone for the information. I am telling myself to be patient about this and do more homework on it first!

Gene,

I bought my compressor in Feb 2003. When I did my reseach on Bauer, the prices were strictly controlled by the company. As a matter of fact, a dealer could not even ship into another distributor's territory. I had to have my compressor shipped from Miami.

I do not use bank cylinders. If I had an auto-drain, magnetic switch, and O2 shutoff, I might consider banking, but I routinely mix 2 or 3 different percentages every time I fill our tanks.

By the way, my compressor has paid for itself.

Thanks again Stone, appreciate the extra info. I am weighing the prices now on the auto drains and all. Wish I knew more about them, I know I can rely on me to dump manual drains, but can we assume the "auto drains" are reliable? For the money I hope they are, but I would like feedback from anyone that has them to see if they really are worth the money.Stone, how many fills have you done over that time period, and what formula have you used to say you have paid for the compressor/mixing setup? I mean, are you factoring in time driving to lds and all that into it or just the fills themselves?
Thanks again,
Gene

gene1340:
Stone, how many fills have you done over that time period, and what formula have you used to say you have paid for the compressor/mixing setup? I mean, are you factoring in time driving to lds and all that into it or just the fills themselves?
Thanks again,
Gene

I fill over 300 tanks a year. I fill for myself, my wife, and 2 friends.

Here's a spreadsheet.

Don't forget to take a Gas Blending Course from one of the agencies - it will change your diving life.

Stone, thanks again for breaking it down for me like that. I aspire to be as thorough as you once I get setup with this whole thing.Dan, that will be the next class I take. We are going to Florida end of April for our Rescue/Cpr/Nitrox class and then I will take the blending course amongst others I am sure. Too many hobbies not near enough time/money......................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom