Buy the drysuit or take the class first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After 3 months of diving everyday in warm water this past fall, I've decided my days of only diving on vacation or in warm water are over (actually that decision was probably made when I decided to take the DM course, but I digress). I can't deal with the idea of only diving every few months, anymore, so I'm planning to go dry this year and dive locally as often as possible and preferably starting as soon as possible.

Any knowledge I have about drysuits is now a jumbled mess of information that I've picked up here. I have some ideas about what I would/wouldn't want in a suit, but not enough of an idea to say "I'd want one of those, if the sizing is right." At this point, I'm wondering if I should get advice from here and from the people at the shop to find the suit for me, buy it then take the class with it or take the class first and use one of their rental suits as a model to figure out what I do/don't like about it (and get a better idea of what I want to buy). The LDS gives the class free when you buy a suit, but I was told that if you buy a suit within a few months after taking the class, they'd discount the course price from the suit, so cost-wise works out about the same (still frighteningly high, though :shocked2:).

I know I don't really HAVE to take the class, but if it works out free, I see no reason not to. So what should I do first, buy the suit or take the class?

Nice post. As a drysuit diver and working DM I would recommend just taking the class and learning the few little tricks that will make diving one easy. If they'll let you use a suit for the class I would do it and get a chance to see what you like or don't like about it and then buy exactly what you want. One thing to remember is a drysuit isn't like a wetsuit you aren't going to be replacing the one you buy for many years, so make sure you get everything you want with the one you buy. Have fun.

I would at least scam a copy of the book and read it before doing anything. Usually at least 1/2 of the text is about selecting a suit and accessores. That's pretty lame after you just shelled out.

Take the class. Afterwards, rent a few different drysuits and determine what you prefer (e.g., undergarments, neoprene/shell, sizing, etc.).

The shop will try to sell you their line of drysuits, but you may prefer a different model.

Ill be the "politically uncorrect" one here..

Screw the class, get a good mentor instead and just buy the suit.
Do get some help selecting a good suit though. Both regards to type and brand of the suit..

Drysuit diving is not magic, theres a couple of tricks you need to know of and the rest is just practice.

Ill be the "politically uncorrect" one here..

Screw the class, get a good mentor instead and just buy the suit.
Do get some help selecting a good suit though. Both regards to type and brand of the suit..

Drysuit diving is not magic, theres a couple of tricks you need to know of and the rest is just practice.

This. Also be sure to spend your first several dive shallow and progress to depth slowly. Plan your changes in the water column - dump gas first them ascend, adjust early and often. Once you shift to positive in a drysuit it's near impossible to correct.

It's a chicken and egg dilemma. On the one hand, drysuit rentals are expensive ... and unless you're either using a Fusion or got lucky it's doubful a rental drysuit's going to fit right (fit is everything).

On the other hand, if you buy the suit first, then find out there's something about it that you really don't like, you're stuck with it.

When it comes to drysuits, everyone else's opinion is pretty useless ... you're going to like what you like. I've been through a few, and the one what worked the least for me was the one everybody else was raving about ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For a diver with your experience, transitioning to a dry suit is not that hard (after all, I learned to dive one in my OW class, and I was a doofus). You're aware of what the issues are (feet first ascents, mostly, and learning to feel the suit so you know when it needs venting) and you're smart enough to spend some time in shallow water playing with the techniques for recovery.

If you do the class through your shop, they will try very hard to sell you a dry suit, and probably the highest-end dry suit they carry. That may end up being your choice, but there are a LOT of other options. Each one has its pluses and minuses, which is why I started the thread on "The good and bad of your dry suit". There is no perfect suit, so you have to decide what you prioritize -- looks, weight, durability, flexibility, ease of repair, price -- and go from there.

Some dive shops, if you buy a dry suit from them, they will give you the course for free. DO NOT USE A DRY SUIT WITH OUT TAKING THE COURSE!

Thanks for the advice so far guys, especially the suggestion of the other thread, Lynne. Looks like I'm leaning towards taking the class first and test diving at least one suit before dropping the big bucks. It seems like they include a suit rental in the course price (which then gets applied to eventual purchase) but I'd have to confirm that, so seems like a good option. What I end up buying might be somewhat influenced by what the shop owner does with the job application I gave him last week - the Fusion looks interesting, but he doesn't sell it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom