Buy the drysuit or take the class first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dunno about tricks, but here are some things to consider ...

- shell suit or neoprene? Each has its advantages and drawbacks. Nowadays there are more options with the "hybrid" suits like a Fusion, and they should also be considered.
- undergarment type? There are lots of choices. Generally speaking the more undergarment you use, the more weight you'll need to sink it. A good rule of thumb is to choose the undergarment that gives you the most protection in the least amount of bulk. Price also becomes a factor, as some undergarments are almost as expensive as the suits.
- standard zipper vs TieZip ... each has advantages and drawbacks. These should be considered, since the zipper is the most expensive replacement item on a suit.
- built-in boots or socks with rock boots? The former are more convenient, but depending on boot type can exacerbate the "floaty feet" issue ... which brings me to ...
- ankle weights, gaitors or fin keepers? These are the most popular ways to address air in the boots that cause your feet to float up. Which you choose will depend on suit type, boot type and personal preference. Each has advantages and drawbacks, and those should be discussed.
- neoprene or latex seals? Again, each has advantages and drawbacks ... which leads into ...
- drygloves or wet gloves? And whichever you choose, what provides the most warmth for dexterity? Again, this will depend a great deal on how much warmth and dexterity you really need.

Skills wise, you'll want to become proficient with removing and attaching your drysuit hose underwater ... the latter in particular, because at some point you WILL forget to connect it until you're into a descent, press the inflate button, and get a cold shot of water in the chest.

You'll also want to learn how to recover from a feet-first ascent. Although it's not something that commonly happens, you'll want to know what to do about it if it does.

Investigate the answers to each of those questions ... talk to multiple sources. Don't take anybody's "recommendation" on pure logic ... most of those choices often boil down to personal preference, which advantages are really important to you and which disadvantages you can live with.

Also, when choosing a drysuit ... besides features and price, consider the company's reputation for customer service. Some make good suits, but have customer service that truly sucks. Depending on what alternative sources are available to you, this might matter. Keep in mind that all drysuits eventually become wetsuits ... and then you get 'em fixed ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You are an instructor, according to the banner above your avatar, so take the class. Why? See how it's taught and maybe get some ideas on how you may teach it. Once you're ready you can certify as a drysuit specialty instructor and teach it yourself.

Drysuit diving is not rocket science. You do not need to take a class but if one is thrown in free with the suit or you can get one at a good price then go for it. That being said, you should use caution if you plan on diving with one without a class. A class may be ultimately helpful if you plan on traveling somewhere and renting a drysuit. A lot of places won't rent you a drysuit unless you have that certification or they know you.

Go with a buddy/mentor that has drysuit experience. Stay shallow less than 20-30fsw, learn how to vent suit, deal with bubble, deal with feet first ascent, test your weighting. There are little things that a buddy (or class) can explain to you. They are much easier demonstrated in person than somebody telling you how to do it or from reading a book.

You seem to have a lot of experience, I highly doubt drysuit diving will be a challenge for you to learn.

I never took a drysuit class and I dive with one every weekend, I'm not dead yet and have never experienced a runaway ascent.

Adding to my list above ...

- user replaceable seals or standard seals? User replaceable seals come in latex and silicone. The are generally more convenient and more expensive than standard seals. Many instructors find them worth the extra coast because if you rip a seal you don't have to be done for the day.

- pockets? Some suits come with them. Some can be easily fitted with after market pockets. Some won't accommodate pockets at all. Decide in advance whether or not pockets are important to you and factor that into your choice of drysuit style.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You are an instructor, according to the banner above your avatar, so take the class. Why? See how it's taught and maybe get some ideas on how you may teach it. Once you're ready you can certify as a drysuit specialty instructor and teach it yourself.
Thats actually a very good point that I overlooked. As an instructor being able to teach it (once youve gotten good at it) could always be a few extra bucks made.. Although of us not so politically correct people say skip taking it to a lot of people :p

I took the drysuit course before I bought my drysuit. Did it help any....Yes. However, making ascents on the deep end of the pool from 14 ft really doesn't do justice for the air expansion in a suit. I didn't have any problems in the pool but in OW when your coming up from 50 ft I seemed to notice the air expansion effect a lot more. I have since learned to anticipate the bouyancy changes better but I'm still not perfect yet. So yes the class helped with practicing recovering from feet first ascents, stuck inflator valve, etc but I learned the most in diving the suit in open water.

Its a chicken or the egg delema. First you have to figure out what dry suit you are going to dive. I chose a shell suit DUI tls350. Once you have the suit you can learn in that suit and know be profecient in the skills in that suit because you traied in that suit. I got my suit when i was 235# and have grown or the suit shrunk to an equivilant 260#. It still works and fits, though it cant take much more than the 260#. The shells shrink to fit you, (suit squeeze) as long as you can get into it to begin with. For thecost of a ds, the shell is a great avenue to go down. To be fair i have to say that there are some very good semidry suits that really do the job at a fraction of the ds cost.

Thanks for that list, Bob. I feel like I'm already starting to make a feature wishlist and looking forward to getting started.

I ordered a DUI Flex Extreme two weeks ago. Hopefully it will be ready next week or the week after. I did not take the class first but went to the DUI demo day in December for 1 dive and back again this month for two more dives. So I did dive the suit 3 times before ordering.

Not sure if I will take the class. I'm not opposed to taking it but it seems like my LDS has the next class scheduled on a day I'm already booked on a charter. So looks like I may just start diving in it.

Obviously there is more than one way to skin this cat. As an instructor, you know the value of good, competent instruction, so let that be your guide I'd say. As such, I did my drysuit pool class this past week in a Fusion Sport. My instructor, who is a DUI snob and a Whites hater, is also my mentor of sorts. He's a one man show and I pay him like any student. But I also know that anytime afterwards I can go back for "mentoring" on any subject, covered or not at no-cost. He doesn't push any gear persay, but has his likes and dislikes like anyone. I liked the Whites "trash bag" personally. I walked to the pool in sweats, put the Whites right one over them and did the water skills. Came back out 1.5hrs later (lots of goofing around) and was dry. Took it off and went home. The Whites, compared to the 15 minute sweat-laden wrestling match with my 8/7 semi dry, is like putting on a pair of parachute pants with really tight arm cuffs. I was in and out in 2 mins tops, no joke, first time. Who cares how thin it is - it could be a micron thick, I don't care. Just needs to keep me dry (ok and needs to be durable, I get it). But sure seems like "less is more" applies. And its comfortable, totally unrestricted movement. That said, I'll be doing a DUI and a ComfortZone in the quarry for comparison to finish the class. If it aint cake, I'll go Whites.

But the class is totally worth it to me, hands down - skills learned, questions you don't know to ask answered, what about this, what about that, etc etc. I got an instructor who knows his s.ht and its worth every penny to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom