Buy or rent tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutchman:
Wow, what a steal. Is there any danger in storing a fully charged tank in the house or garage?

Assuming you get it VIP'd every year and hydro'd as needed, and don't do anything like replacing the burst-disk with one rated for a much higher pressure, it's very safe.

It's extremely difficult (although not impossible) to get a tank to blow up (as has been tried by some folks around here).

About the only exception would be tanks without burst-disks (don't even know where you would find one) and some older aluminum tanks that were made with a bad alloy, however none of these should ever be passed by the inspector when doing a VIP.

Terry

Dutchman:
Wow, what a steal. Is there any danger in storing a fully charged tank in the house or garage?

Well there's always *some* risk when dealing with 3000 psi but relatively speaking they are highly unlikely to explode without first blowing the relief disk. Still, I wouldn't store them under my bed.

It can actually be riskier to store them half full because in case of a fire, by the time 500 psi has been heated to 3500 psi the strength of the tank may have been reduced below the burst-disk rating.

Common guys…
For every degree increase in temp how many PSI does the tank increase?
Answer- 5. (rule of thumb)
So a 3000 psi tank that is taken from 80 degrees to 130 degrees (in the sun) should have a pressure of 3250. Worse case scenario you loose the burst disk. I have only seen that happen twice in sixteen years of diving.

Aluminum tanks are ok. Every dive shop in the world has them and you get about 77Cu. Ft out of an Al 80 unless marked otherwise. They are not the best tank long term. Example 6351 is now band from refills and need to be removed from service.

Steel lasts a lot better is overall lighter in comparison, uses less metal and is neutrally buoyant empty and is overall a smaller package. Steel has better elasticity in the metal and handles expanding and contractions better. Gee, think that I like steel tanks? :D :D

If I was a diver starting out again- I would buy an Lp 95 or 98. On average I get two moderate dives out of my steel to most people’s single dive on there Aluminum tank. For deeper dives it provides that little cushion on volume compared to time.

As an example-
This last Sunday I did a 45 minute dive on a starting pressure 1800 psi of my steel 98. Average depth was really shallow (30ft) and we were using junior scooters (seadoos) but still that is 45 minutes.

Lets see-
2 steel 98’s- LP faber, 4 al 80’s, 1 al40, 1 al20

Yeah, its a cost. But its also life support.

Buy the tank, steel if you can.
Andrew

One thing to note, is that depending on height, the tank can affect your trim in the water. I know LP95s are a bit short for me and tend to make me somewhat top heavy. I'd imagine the smaller HP tanks would be the same or worse. The AL80s size works better for me. So DIVE the tank you want to buy and see if it works out for you.

Crazyduck:
I agree on the weight balance and location.
The LP95 works very well for me and is what I rent if I can get it. I intend to buy a couple when cash on hand, availability at a good price and spousal permission align. :)

Willie

I got two AL 80s last summer which was great since that is what I would be renting anyway. But now after diving a year I will my next tank will be a Steel 120. The only problem I will probably has to start watching that I don't go into deco.

wet-willie:
The LP95 works very well for me and is what I rent if I can get it. I intend to buy a couple when cash on hand, availability at a good price and spousal permission align. :)

Willie

Willie,
When I get over my surgery and get cleared to fly and dive, I will let you experience the sublime joy of diveing steel. I have 3 PST E7-100's. When I get low I still am slightly negative. The bad thing is that once you get used to steel going back to an AL80/100 will screw up your buoyancy and your mind. The world standard should be steel in my humble opinion. Besides, aluminum contributes to alsheimers. :D

If you're buying aluminum for $130 and you need a hydro every 5 years for $50 and a VIP evey year for $15 and it costs $10 to rent or $5 to fill then you would have to dive:

130+5(15)=195/5 or 39 days of rental over 5 years to break even for the first 5 years. The second five years would be 50+5(15)=115/5 or 23 days of rental. This equates to 8 days/year for the first five years and 5 days/year thereafter. Doesn't take a whole lot of diving to justify an AL80 purchase and this doesn't take into account the convienience factor. If you are buying steel, you'll just have to dive more often to justify it. :)

RULE #1 IN ALL THINGS THAT QUALIFY AS A HOBBY/PURSUIT

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER FIGURE OUT THE COST PER POUND OF THE FISH OR DEER OR THE COST PER DIVE FOR DIVE EQUIPMENT.
If you want it...buy it...if you don't...rent it...
Lake/golf course lot for sale, boat for sale and I really really do NEED a small airplane...honestly honey, we would fly to your Mom's all the time. :D :D :D

ZzzKing:
If you're buying aluminum for $130 and you need a hydro every 5 years for $50 and a VIP evey year for $15 and it costs $10 to rent or $5 to fill then you would have to dive:

130+5(15)=195/5 or 39 days of rental over 5 years to break even for the first 5 years. The second five years would be 50+5(15)=115/5 or 23 days of rental. This equates to 8 days/year for the first five years and 5 days/year thereafter. Doesn't take a whole lot of diving to justify an AL80 purchase and this doesn't take into account the convienience factor. If you are buying steel, you'll just have to dive more often to justify it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom