Buy or rent tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if you own your tanks, you still have to figure out how to get them filled so you are still dependent on your LDS's schedule. (unless, of course, your dive site offers fills!)

I would take a guess that the person who seldom dives would be spending time on ScubaBoard. So by nature of the person being here, they are probably a bit more avid in their diving than the average Joe.

For the person diving a couple times a year, I'd argue they shouldn't own anything most likely. At least not because it would be more convenient. Maybe personal tastes would push them to get a wetsuit, or fins, or a BC.

For someone interested enough in diving to spend time with us loonies here on SB, I'd say tank ownership isn't out of the question...

Dutchman:
Ok, so this topic may have been asked before. What is better? I am leaning towards purchasing my own tank just so I have it when the feeling strikes me to dive. What are your thoughts?

You say that:
"Success consist of a series of little, daily victories."

Well then buy 2 Today :14:

I tried the rental route at first. too much trouble getting,returning fighting traffic to do so. If I get a call to go out in the gulf, I must have full tanks at the ready. For the 300I spent to buy the 3 tanks(all on sale), it has been worth it. Yearly cost is about 45 for inspections. Get air fills at dive shops near work.

I have one and plan to buy soem more in the future. It is kind of nice to have in case of a last mintue call to dive but i generally end up renting a tank or two to suppliment my one tank. I do not mind getting fills but I would rather do them at the end of a dive day as to after every dive. I hope to have about 4-5 al80's. That way I am covered if I bring a buddy to dive.

Hemlon:
Even if you own your tanks, you still have to figure out how to get them filled so you are still dependent on your LDS's schedule.
That's the reason I rent tanks even though I do 100+ dives a year. There's a branch store of the dive shop a couple blocks from my condo that is open 7AM to 9PM, 7 days a week -- so the only time I have to decide ahead of time to get a tank is for a dawn dive.

OTOH, the branch store just has tanks trucked in from the main store daily. If I want to get a tank filled, then I have to drive a few more miles to the main store with the fill station. And then I'll either wait around or drive back again to pick it up. So in my somewhat unique situation, renting is a lot more convenient.

When not at my condo, I'm usually doing boat dives, and just rent them from the dive op. I'll pay a couple extra bucks to have the tank waiting for me on the boat.

Buying tanks does makes sense for most people. Of course, even if you own tanks, you can always still rent too. You just have to look at what works best in your specific circumstances.

I bought an AL80 at a garage sale for $15. I knew I was taking a chance, but it passed hydro and visual with flying colors. So now I have one tank ready to go and can always pick up another or two if I am planning in advance.

Willie

Wow, what a steal. Is there any danger in storing a fully charged tank in the house or garage?

Might be mistaken on this but I think I was told that scuba toys will
give you free air if you buy a tank from them?

I would be the guy that hangs out here but only gets to dive once or twice a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom