Burnt the plastic on my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never said that, just explaining why his cheap plastic mask melted!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no such thing as a disignated dive mask. Yes, some masks are more suited towards snorkeling with bigger internal volumes and side view lenses, but you can still use either for both. I used to snorkel a lot, then I started diving, and I use the same mask.

Am I not allowed to because it’s not a “dive” mask?

Simple....burn the other side then put it on ebay and call it custom or unique or rare or vintage. Sell it for 4-5x what it is worth and then use the money to buy a replacement and don't torch the new mask, just use toothpaste.

Anything else I can solve for you?

Okay, not really helpful, but a little levity can't hurt. Sorry about your mask. I'd just dive it, unless it is a lot more deformed than I imagine.

oh my, that article would be funny if it wasn't so wrong!

A dive mask does have to fit perfect. Being deep under water means that you require a perfect fit. You can’t really afford to have a leak while diving as the water will stream in and ruin the experience. In the worst case it can result in a danger for your health!

lmao

Until I found my current HOG mask, my facial hair ensured I dived with a perpetual leak. I just cleared when I needed to and it never bothered me in the least (I'm breathing anyway, what do I care if I exhale through my nose or my mouth?). I'd sometimes let my mask fill up to my eyeballs, and get strange looks for it. People would motion for me to clear my mask, like it was bothering them more than it was me. Hell, I don't even worry about defog half the time, I just flood my mask when I get fogged up. It makes me wonder - does my comfort level with water in my mask put me in a minority?

works.jpg

A scuba mask with plastic lenses? Why do we require masks to have a tempered glass main lens if plastic is acceptable on the sides?

I always assumed that we required tempered glass lens for some kind of safety reason. And when I say "we require", I meant that when I did open water, the shop told us we could use any mask we want, as long as it had a tempered glass lens. It's just been my assumption since then that everyone "required" that.
I think it's just marketing mumbo jumbo. Unless the material its-self has a void, it's not going to be dealing with any significant pressure. I have heard of scuba masks that are plastic, although never owned one. Every once in a while when there's a thread about cleaning masks you'll see one or two people naysay the burning on account of the plastic lenses in their favorite mask brand.

To the OP, you could probably clean up those side lenses a little (but not perfectly).. maybe start with some ultra fine wet sanding, and work your way up to 0000 steel wool. Alternatively, you could paint them black with testers model paint. If you do that, it's going to look worse before it looks better so be warned that grinding out optics with wet sandpaper and other materials takes a lot of patience. I made a telescope lens once with this method using an old porthole from a ship and some youtube instructional videos. I don't see why it wouldn't work with plastic if you used finer grit materials.

Personally, I'd be replacing the mask with one that doesn't have the side windows. Given what one pays to go diving in most areas, a mask is relatively low on the cost list. I used a $20 "snorkel pro" mask for about my first 100 dives. It worked great, but eventually the area in between the frame and skirt got funky and I couldn't clean it to my satisfaction.

I using (and will never change it, just to the same, I have two spare :) ) mask with plastic lenses, Aquasphere.
It is the best mask in my opinion. Also this mask confirms idea above about marketing sh!t of Diving vs Snorkeling masks.
Most of deep freedivers use this mask. But it simple, light, cheap and very comfortable for snorkeling.

According first message of the topic - this mask (Aqualung Infinity) has same construction as Aqua Lung - Technisub Falco - this mask have just plastic frame for front lenses.
It makes sealing of lenses easy and better. One our famous instructor Sergey "KWAK" from Malta using this kind of mask for years, and had not plans to change it.
Tempered glasses required just for safety reasons, but not for pressure safety, but for eyes safety, because in case of broken tempered glass it have rectangular pieces, withOUT sharp edges.

So, just one idea - if your mask not leaking - just use it. And to the future - do not use burning film removal method for plastic or PVC masks, it acceptable just for glass/silicone masks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom