Burnt the plastic on my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parsa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello

Well, my title is pretty self explanatory. I burnt the freakin plastic in my scuba mask.

“I thought the glass in scuba masks were supposed to be tempered”

Well looks like the side view glasses are plastic.

I tried the toothpaste method like 3 times, used defog and spit a few times to see if it made a difference. Nope

So I thought hey why not do the flame trick.
Worked pretty well. There was ALOT of film on the lens so it looked like I had done everything right.

The side view mask (one side only) got burnt. Kinda formed bubbles. Its hard and pretty sturdy.

What im wondering is, can I still dive with this mask?

As you can tell I JUST bought this mask, and im a student so buying another one is out of the question for another two months or so. Honestly, it doesnt make THAT much of a difference view wise so thats not an issue

Must I return to the rentals?

Also: I understand very well that it is my own fault and no one else, but its still pretty annoying to have JUST found out that the sideview glasses are plastic not tempered. My disappointment is justified.

Sorry about that any responses will be highly appreciated. Thankyou

Sorry to hear. If it isn’t leaking.....it should be good. Can you test in a pool? Stick your face in tub or sink with snorkel? :)

I’m sorry that happened and that you had trouble.

I recently scrubbed my backup mask and it took way more than 3 good scrubs to get it off. Simple toothpaste is best - basic fluoride, no whitening or fancy stuff. Also, I use a small (new....) cheap toothbrush to really apply pressure and go in small, firm circles. I repeat until it fogs minimally when I put it on for about a minute - with nothing, not even defog, on the lens.

Nothing is going to restore the side view bubbles but provided it doesn't leak it should be OK for use, other than the obvious reduced vision through the damaged area. The actual pressure differential across it is minimual. For cleaning the tempered portion I have been using liquid abrasive as opposed toothpaste. It is 1 micron abrasive used as the final step in removing scratches from aircraft windows.
Micro-Surface 3MG8 Micro-Gloss Type 1 Plastic Window Cleaner & Polish - 8 oz Bottle

Can you provide pictures?

I would NOT risk diving with a mask, or any piece of diving equipment, if it has any flaw, deformity or damage as the one you describe above especially if one can't determine how bad and extensive the damage is and how it will perform under increased pressure under water or in a situation that places aggressive use or pressure on the equipment.

Sadly, i have to say don’t risk the side window seal giving way while diving, flooding and leaving you blind. Maybe mail back to manufacturer for replacement, because they can check window seal strength.

The pressure on both sides of the mask is kept in a neutral balance. There is no significant pressure on the mask. Your mask is not the window in a submarine. The pressure on both sides is almost equal. It may age or crack. You have cooked out some polymers. I could be wrong. nah dive it.

Sadly, i have to say don’t risk the side window seal giving way while diving, flooding and leaving you blind. Maybe mail back to manufacturer for replacement, because they can check window seal strength.
They won't. They will condemn it. There is no reward for them to send it back and say it is ok. That will never happen.

The pressure on both sides of the mask is kept in a neutral balance. There is no significant pressure on the mask. Your mask is not the window in a submarine. The pressure on both sides is almost equal. It may age or crack. You have cooked out some polymers. I could be wrong. nah dive it.
Yes Dear, but even my car windows leak when the seal is stripped by pirate monkeys, (and if your intrigued, I can post a video of monkeys stripping car parts for verification)

Back
Top Bottom