Burnt the plastic on my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP:

There are masks here ranging from $19 to 29 (well, and to much higher):

Masks | Dive Gear Express®

I have seen numerous posts here on SB about some of these inexpensive masks stating that the masks are actually very good.

Maybe an option for you, if you want to replace your mask without spending much money.

To the OP:

I have seen numerous posts here on SB about some of these inexpensive masks stating that the masks are actually very good.

Maybe an option for you, if you want to replace your mask without spending much money.

+1. They're great masks. I have like 5 for me and my wife and kids. I've spent more on masks I've given away because I didn't like them.

A scuba mask with plastic lenses? Why do we require masks to have a tempered glass main lens if plastic is acceptable on the sides?

I always assumed that we required tempered glass lens for some kind of safety reason. And when I say "we require", I meant that when I did open water, the shop told us we could use any mask we want, as long as it had a tempered glass lens. It's just been my assumption since then that everyone "required" that.

Thats exactly why I burnt the sides, I wouldnt have even thought of flaming it if I knew that part was plastic.

To the OP:

These are great! Though I am worried about the fit its still a very good option. Thankyou!

Ill stick to my mask for now but I know that I’ll definitely have to change it either way. I just needed to know if I could use it until I could buy another one.

I guess I did learn a valuable lesson from this, so im still going positive! :D

sounds like you have a snorkeling mask not a Scuba mask

I always assumed that we required tempered glass lens for some kind of safety reason. And when I say "we require",
If normal glass breaks, you could get splinters in your eyes. Tempered glass breaks up in granular pieces and is safer. The glasses could be plastic for that matter, if only plastic would not scratch so easy.

Now you have a conversation piece either way. "There I was..." or getting led back to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom