Buoyancy during inhalation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive shallow. Super shallow. It will force you to learn how to control your breath. I dive Blue Heron Bridge and there are lots of photogs there that have learned how to handle the camera while remaining neutrally buoyant and controlling that rise and fall in shallow depths- often less than 10ft.

Try to breathe more shallowly. It’s difficult because you feel like you’re not getting enough air. Sip the air, gently let it out.

Easier said than done.

This thread may help

Holding depth for extended periods of time, sometimes very long periods of time, is a requirement of technical diving decompression stops. You take long, slow breaths, and you really don't move much.
I've been diving over 45 years, am AOW certified, and have over 200 dives (no one logged dives that long ago).
It's too bad Dr. Sam Miller has passed away. He would have responded to this with a long history of dive logging, starting with his own dive logging in the 1950s, more than20 years before you started diving.

Being correctly weighted will reduce the gas needed in your BCD which will make for less change in buoyancy with depth.
Mate put your head back in those books or perhaps interpret differently what you read on here
and see if you can see that carrying less weight or being neutrally buoyant increases movement
that occurs during breathing so the only way to combat it is through carrying more weight lead

which makes you more stable underwater less likely to be thrown around and makes absolutely
no difference to your diving, which is not what they seem for some strange reason to say on SB

The buoyancy change only occurs not when stationary or making minor changes to your depth

So being correctly weighted is to make yourself a stable diving platform no matter your weight

And photography stable is to carry more weight

A deeper breath with a pause after inspiration is the most efficient for gas exchange and may improve your RMV. I don't think about this but it inherently controls my buoyancy. My RMV would generally be considered good.

Holding depth for extended periods of time, sometimes very long periods of time, is a requirement of technical diving decompression stops. You take long, slow breaths, and you really don't move much.

It's too bad Dr. Sam Miller has passed away. He would have responded to this with a long history of dive logging, starting with his own dive logging in the 1950s, more than20 years before you started diving.
I am sure some did log their dives, but I don't remember that it was common. I could be wrong about that, too, and I was just lazy.

I've been diving over 45 years, am AOW certified, and have over 200 dives (no one logged dives that long ago). I am very satisfied with my weighting and buoyancy, in general. However, I have one particular issue that annoys me. I move up and down in the water column depending on whether I am inhaling or exhaling. My average position is where I want it to be, but I want to stay fixed there during the whole respiratory cycle. This is particularly important while photographing. Any thoughts/advice?
Use a CC rebreather. The buoyancy does not change, as the gas going from your lungs to the counterlung, and back, keeps the same volume.
I used an ARO, when young, exactly for this purpose.
An ARO is a military-grade pure-oxygen CC rebreather, cheap and simple, but limits maximum depth to something as 6-10 meters.

Use a CC rebreather. The buoyancy does not change, as the gas going from lung to toe counterlung keeps the same volume.
I used an ARO, when young, exactly for this purpose.
An ARO is a military-grade pure-oxygen CC rebreather, cheap and simple, but limits maximum depth to something as 6-10 meters.
As soon as I have a spare $10K or so, I might.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom