Bungee wing vs Non Bungee wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So a wing has a ‘feature’ to make it work like the other ones without that ‘feature’?

Never had a problem with a wing behind my head/neck/etc...

Don’t need to buy a wing that is too large and ‘tacos’ around the tanks

So apparently all other wings have issues if there isn’t a bungee on them?

_R

I've just read it.

So the website claims that bungees improve drag and the chance of entanglement, besides helping to optimize personal trim.

The crazy thing? Detractors say that bungees actually decrease drag, increase chance of entanglement, and add no benefit to trim.

One does not know who to believe ahahaha

Well, not for me, I do not understand it... but cool for anyone who likes it :)

So I just ordered my first BPW a HOG TBCS SS plate. Comes with 32 lb 360 Bungee Wing.

I watch this GUE video

The GUE video is extremely negative about bungeed wings and does not provide any instruction to students who show up with a bungeed wing. Highlights of the video's arguments against a bungeed wing is it causes overweighting because of trapped air, is less aerodynamic if a bungee breaks, may be an entrapment hazard, and is dangerous if a hole happens in the wing as the bungees will squeeze the air out.

Unless someone shows me convincing arguments to the contrary, how easy is it to remove the bungee?

The bungee has two plastic hooks on the ends that you or the dealer will assemble after the bungee is threaded on the wing. When I set up a wing I generally just hook them together. the hooks can be removed by sliding the collar back over the bungee and pulling the bungee out. similar to these.
Shockcord Hooks - Quick Connect

You do need to remove one of the hooks to pull the bungee out as the sleeves for it are pretty snug. If it hasn't shipped yet, call the dealer and tell them not to install the bungee but to send it with it.

Single is an argonaut from VDH. Since they seem to be defunct I guess I'll be replacing it in a few years instead of installing a new bladder. Pity.

Have you been in touch with Mr Bryan Pennington of Vintage Double Hose yet
and wasted his time in sorting out this plucked from the depths of your sky BS

Back
Top Bottom