Bungee wing vs Non Bungee wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is one thing that I cannot understand about bungee wings: what is their purpose? I really do not get it

Generally for massive buoyancy, is supposed to retract the wing to stop it flapping around.

Contemporary thinking is using the right size wing for the job in hand.

The only time I've ever overwhelmed my 40 lb Halcyon wing is when playing around in a diving quarry with a steel 12 litre twinset, 3 ali80s (full), and a steel 12 litre tin. Also left the 5kg (12 lb) V weights in too! Hilarious; jumped in and sank like a stone. Filled the wing & drysuit and only just managed to hold a stop! Ditched the spare 12 litre tin and managed the rest of the dive, but overweighted. A right larf, and educational.

Yes, wrong on all counts. But good experience and it was a proper diving quarry.

(The thinking for the spare 12 was for a bottom stage -- soon learned not to do too much finkin. My brain hurts.)

My first wing was a diverite rec exp. it didn't have bungees but for some reason websites currently selling the wing show it with bungees (maybe it was updated). It was a 55lb wing that was supposed to be good for single tanks or double tanks. In the end it was really too big for singles (it works, but there's a lot of wing flappin around behind you). It's too small for doubles, as in not wide enough so a lot of the wing would be squished by tanks and therefore wouldn't contain air.

I can definitely see why someone would be inclined at first to put a bungee on a wing that's otherwise oversized for the task at hand. You have a lot of material behind you dragging in the current.

I ended up switching to an 18lb wing for single tanks and sidemount for doubles so I don't really use the rec exp anymore. Single is an argonaut from VDH. Since they seem to be defunct I guess I'll be replacing it in a few years instead of installing a new bladder. Pity.

I ended up switching to an 18lb wing for single tanks and sidemount for doubles so I don't really use the rec exp anymore. Single is an argonaut from VDH. Since they seem to be defunct I guess I'll be replacing it in a few years instead of installing a new bladder. Pity.
I don't think anyone has told them that yet.
Store | Vintage Double Hose

Edit. I read it to mean that VDH were defunct. Since the wings are out of stock and have been for some time maybe that is what you meant.

I don't think anyone has told them that yet.
Store | Vintage Double Hose

Edit. I read it to mean that VDH were defunct. Since the wings are out of stock and have been for some time maybe that is what you meant.
Well I assume they're going out of business or something. They've got a blog where they were complaining of supply chain problems and most stuff was out of stock for a long time. Also, they aren't responding to their contact form or phonecalls I've placed, so I assumed that they like many others were going away. Hopefully they aren't, but things don't look good from my perspective.

Well I assume they're going out of business or something.

Things are really tough right now and appearances can lead to speculation, but I'd try not to sing the "its over" verse for VDH.

VDH is a very small operation, with outsourced specialty manufacturing. All of it was significantly impacted by the global pandemic. Adding to it is the Owner is heavily busy with the job that keeps the lights on and the food on the table. Manufacturing is slow to non-existant, and if even possible, orders require a significant cash and quantity outlay that is just under a pause right now.

The owner might be able to describe it better: @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose (he might be too busy to even see this....)

The link in Post 9 will direct you to the website where the benefits are claimed.

I've just read it.

So the website claims that bungees improve drag and the chance of entanglement, besides helping to optimize personal trim.

The crazy thing? Detractors say that bungees actually decrease drag, increase chance of entanglement, and add no benefit to trim.

One does not know who to believe ahahaha

Well, not for me, I do not understand it... but cool for anyone who likes it :)

I've just read it.

So the website claims that bungees improve drag and the chance of entanglement, besides helping to optimize personal trim.

The crazy thing? Detractors say that bungees actually decrease drag, increase chance of entanglement, and add no benefit to trim.

One does not know who to believe ahahaha

Well, not for me, I do not understand it... but cool for anyone who likes it :)
Like many things the truth often lies somewhere in the middle.

I love my VDH 23, it's a great little wing, although I've only used it once.

I got it when it was the only size in stock sometime last year after Covid started. Bryan was awesome in communicating and letting me know how things were going at the time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom