Bungee wing vs Non Bungee wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishWatcher747

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just ordered my first BPW a HOG TBCS SS plate. Comes with 32 lb 360 Bungee Wing.

I watch this GUE video

The GUE video is extremely negative about bungeed wings and does not provide any instruction to students who show up with a bungeed wing. Highlights of the video's arguments against a bungeed wing is it causes overweighting because of trapped air, is less aerodynamic if a bungee breaks, may be an entrapment hazard, and is dangerous if a hole happens in the wing as the bungees will squeeze the air out.

Unless someone shows me convincing arguments to the contrary, how easy is it to remove the bungee?

The bungee is easy to remove, either untie the end or just cut it, then unthread from the wing.

HOG 32lb 360 Bungee Wing

If this is the wing you are using just unclip it and unthread from the grommets

As easy as unthreatening it from grommets, or cutting it off with a knife.

No good argument for a bungied wing... a ‘feature’ for poor design and implementation.

_R

Are there different types of bungeed wings? If you look at the picture in the post above by asher102 this is not really what the GUE person was talking about in the video. In the video there were many bungees that went around the wing to compress it kind of like a cartoon Michilen Man. Look at the picture of the BCD in the video screen in my original post.

In the HOG it seems the bungees just attach at 5 points near the person's back to keep the wing edges from moving backward and no compression is happening.

Does anyone have a HOG and can comment?

HOG 32lb 360 Bungee Wing

The HOG Bungee Wing is nothing like the old bungeed OMS wing that GUE often refers to as the "bungeed wing of death" and is similar to many other wings that have bungees to prevent taco. I personally would use it as it comes with no hesitation. I have a side-mount wing with a similar bungee.

What's the difference?

What's the difference?
If that is directed to me then the primary differences are that the bungees are not located where they will be easily snagged, they do not compress the wing to any great degree if the wing is punctured and they provide little or no resistance to oral inflation. I think HOG should have thought a little harder when they named this wing.

This is the type of wing the GUE people have a problem with although it is popular with many others.:
94 lb (42 kg) Deep Ocean Wing

It’s very easy to take off. In fact it will probably come separate and require you to thread it yourself. However the style of bungee is not an issue and i use them. It can still be orally inflated, does not create air traps in my experience, and is under the wing so it’s not a significant entanglement hazard. It just pulls the wing in a bit when empty to help streamline the kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom