Bungee straps for fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Instead of using steel springs, I read on another thread about someone rigging bungee for the heel strap.

Obvioulsy, this would be more prone to failure. Is it safe to assume that this solution is unacceptable in the world of DIR?

JAG

I would think yes. In the most fundamental way, you do not have any clips or rubber straps that can break. Now you just have bungee straps that will probably wear out and break more quickly than any rubber strap.

I would say if it were just for the course and the course only, then it would be better than regular straps. But definitely invest in spring straps. I got mine cheap at www.spring-straps.com $35 and easy to install. What kind of fins do you have?

MAK52580:
I would think yes. In the most fundamental way, you do not have any clips or rubber straps that can break. Now you just have bungee straps that will probably wear out and break more quickly than any rubber strap.
On my third year with bungees instead of rubber straps. Two hundred plus dives including deep,ice, and overhead. Two straps with attachment clips, wrapped the ends with duct tape. Never a problem.

jjsteffen:
On my third year with bungees instead of rubber straps. Two hundred plus dives including deep,ice, and overhead. Two straps with attachment clips, wrapped the ends with duct tape. Never a problem.

Oh yeah, no problem in DIRF with them either. :crafty:

jjsteffen:

Hey
Thanks for the input. Glad to hear they are holding up.

I have springs right now, just heard about the use of bungee and found it interesting...

JAG

jjsteffen:
and the best, about $3.00 in parts.

What do you use to crimp the bungee to itself when you form the loop to go around the post?

jagfish:
What do you use to crimp the bungee to itself when you form the loop to go around the post?
If you get bungee from reefscuba, they sell the c clips for attachment along with a crimp tool if needed. I just used pliers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom