Built-in hood or separate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with MontereyCADiver.

For cold water: attached hood or hooded vest. It reduces water circulation inside you suit when you move.

bernard

I tried both before buying. I could never find an integrated that fit. So I went separate and I'm very happy. I ended up buying a Henderson gold core 7mil suit and a Henderson 5/3 hood. I was able to get a tight fit for both thus eliminating flow. The extra benefit of the hood is that it has a long skirt which takes a second or two to smooth out but the skirt is only 3mil so it fits well under the suit. My head is as protected as my core now.

I never used a non-integrated hood, but I use a custom two-piece with a 7mm full suit underneath and a hood integrated 5mm shorty on top. I have never felt cold water down my spine in this suit, and I have never been too cold diving in San Diego or Monterey.

It probably takes a bit more weight to sink, but I have never been cold and it isn't bulky since I got it fit to my size. Also, I always can just use the 7mm as a regular full-suit if I want.

Try on both styles to see which you like better. I have a Bare Arctic SGS 7 mm fullsuit with a matching 7 mm hooded vest. Divetank.net has good prices. What I like about the vest is it has a zipper all the way down from the chin to the thigh so you don't have to pull it off over your head like a shirt. Also there's a little extra insulation for your thighs. My husband has a one piece with integrated hood, the Xcel Titanium Polar Quad density that Shaka and mweitz recommended and he likes that one a lot too. It has 9 mm in the torso and 7 & 6 mm in the limbs. Both have slick skins inside and are fairly flexible. We stayed quite warm in the 57 degree Monterey water. Parts of my wetsuit were still dry inside when I took it off.

capybara:
What I like about the vest is it has a zipper all the way down from the chin to the thigh so you don't have to pull it off over your head like a shirt.

I've been looking at that Bare set-up. I was concerned about leakage and comfort with that zipper running down across. Is the zipper noticable up on your chin?

I have the Bare Velocity 5/4 with the 3mm vest with integrated 5 mm hood. and I'm comfotable snorkeling to 50F. Below 55 I like to add my 2.5mm beanie under the hood.

Pete

spectrum:
I've been looking at that Bare set-up. I was concerned about leakage and comfort with that zipper running down across. Is the zipper noticable up on your chin?

There's a inner neoprene flap behind the zipper so I don't really feel the zipper on my chin and the water doesn't seem to leak in either, unless you turn your head all the way to the side and then maybe a little trickle. When I was looking for a wetsuit I first tried on the Henderson hooded vest and I almost got stuck, it took 3 of us to get it off. So I really like the jacket-style hooded vest. Very happy with the Bare (make sure it's the SGS with the slick lining)-it's easy to get into and kept me warm without flushing.
http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/divedept.asp?dept_id=230
By the way, I think they need to rethink their ads. It makes it look like you will freeze and turn blue in their suits. :wink:

capybara:
There's a inner neoprene flap behind the zipper so I don't really feel the zipper on my chin and the water doesn't seem to leak in either, unless you turn your head all the way to the side and then maybe a little trickle.Very happy with the Bare (make sure it's the SGS with the slick lining)-it's easy to get into and kept me warm without flushing.

Do you wear the SGS vest under the full suit? They don't have the flip seal on the neck so I can't be sure from reading the site. I like having the full suit on top since it gives a compete barrier, the vest is then like a second line of defense. This would be contrary to a farmer john where the step in vest is on top.

Pete

spectrum:
Do you wear the SGS vest under the full suit? They don't have the flip seal on the neck so I can't be sure from reading the site. I like having the full suit on top since it gives a compete barrier, the vest is then like a second line of defense. This would be contrary to a farmer john where the step in vest is on top.

Pete

No, the hooded vest is meant to be worn over the fullsuit. There's no slickskin inside the torso of the hooded vest, just the hood part, but there are rubber "seals" at the armholes and around the face. It works just fine that way.

I forgot to mention that both the Arctic SGS and Xcel 9/7/6 have rubber seals inside the wrists and ankles to help keep water out as well.

Back
Top Bottom