Building First BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do need a single tank adapter with that system. you can get weight pockets if you want the from XS scuba that are like 12 bucks. The cheapest way to go would be to get the Cave Adventures Package and upgrade to the SS backplate for 25 bucks. The wing that comes with the package usually costs almost as much as the whole package so its a deal. Of course you could try to get EVERYTHING used, but it takes a while to assemble that way. Backplates especially are easy to find used.

After a lot of surfing this forum I think I'm going to go with the Cave Adventures Package and the Zeagle Rip Cord Weight System. Is the Zeagle Rip Cord Weight System overkill?

I'm also planning on sticking with the aluminum backplate and just throwing weights on it. Any issues with this?

You don't need the rip cord system as you will first need to feel out the rig to better understand where and how much weight to put to get better trim.

Having all/most of your weight in one location isn't ideal with a bp/w. Since, you are going to get the rig from caveadventurers, give Edd a call and ask about weight pockets like the XS scuba ones too.

SangP

Consider Scubatoys. If you're a forum member, you get 10% off everything.

So that package would be 337.50 from ST.

I would get an STA as it really does help to stabilize the tank. The HOG 32lb wing does have an "integrated" STA though.

Oxycheq Mach Vs do not however (dont think so anyways).

After a lot of surfing this forum I think I'm going to go with the Cave Adventures Package and the Zeagle Rip Cord Weight System. Is the Zeagle Rip Cord Weight System overkill?

I'm also planning on sticking with the aluminum backplate and just throwing weights on it. Any issues with this?

First, Caveadventurers is a terrific place and I'm sure they'll treat you right. If the set up you're thinking of is an oxycheq mach V wing on an oxycheq plate, you do not need an STA. The mach V wing is great without one. You might have already figured this out, if so, sorry.

Regarding weight, you should decide on the plate material based on your minimum ballast needs; if you ever dive with a jacket BC and less than around 8 lbs, go with an AL plate, at least for starters, but if you always need around 8lbs or more, you'll almost certainly be happier with a steel plate. Most cold water divers need more weight to sink the exposure suit, so steel is usually preferred for cold water divers. Warm water divers that use AL tanks also usually need the extra ballast; remember you need 4 lbs just to offset the buoyancy of an empty AL80, if that's what you dive with.

I dive in warm water with never more than a 5 mil suit; I usually use a steel plate with Al tanks and vice versa. Everyone is different.

I'm not a fan of quick release weights, except in circumstances where you're carrying alot of lead and it might be difficult to stay on the surface in the event of a wing failure. I could offer better advice about carrying weight if you posted your usual weighting needs.

As an example, if you now dive with a jacket BC and 12 lbs in an AL80, you'll probably need between 4 and 6 lbs with a steel backplate/webbing harness. That small amount of weight can be easily carried in pockets on the waistband, in something like the XS scuba camband pockets.

If you're carrying a lot of weight, either a belt or a weight harness works well. This does split up the ballast between your rig and your body, which is better for people carrying lots of weight.

If you can't decide whether to get a steel or Al plate, don't worry, most of us BP/W divers end up with one of each. At least!

When we were in Honolulu we dove Oceanic Oceanpro BC's with a 3 mil suit and 12lbs. Reason I like that ripcord style weight system is because its what I learned with. Plus I like the pockets :D

Appreciate all the help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom