Bugfest-by-the-Sea, Lobster Mini-Season 2014!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove 4 tanks from deep to shallow this weekend in the Fort Lauderdale Lion Fish Derby.
And I am sad to report that through the entire length and breadth of Broward County with the exception,of LBTS,
THERE ARE NO LOBSTER .
So please,
In order to avoid disappointment,
And if you really do want to gather free bugs,
12 at a time,
You MUST plan on limiting your lobstering to the LBTS immediate area, Dade County, and of course Monroe County, 6 at time (where the bugs are not only ridiculously plentiful, but actually crawl into your boat).

There really are no bugs left in my normal diving spots, just too many Lion Fish.
I think they ate all the Bugz.

Chug
As always, just trying to help.

Last edited:
LOL.....with a lobster like that.... yes.... you are easy to spot
It's pretty heavy. I might have to put it in a stroller.

oh my...you are a funny lady...:rofl3::rofl3:

Wow, it's almost THAT TIME!

The Friday night lobster cookout sold out last year and is expected to do the same this year. Several of us already purchased our tickets. Here's how to buy them.

2014 Bugfest Lobster Cookout

where are they getting the lobsters?........do you have to provide your own?....are they buying the lobsters from the divers as they exit the water?...just curious.

I haven't a clue where they get them, but if you come Friday night you can ask them! I did hear that it's $5 less if you provide your own bug, but can't confirm it.

The Wreck Workshop on Sunday with John Chatterton was excellent!!!! I learned a lot and hope he does another one in the future. It was a mix of divers from a few of us AOW to Dive Masters, tech, wreck, and cave divers. I think us lowly AOW divers were the only ones not diving backplate & wing except for the lone sidemount diver. Viz was great but didn't see any lobsters hiding near the wrecks..
There are a lot of great workshops/clinics that are part of Bugfest - this was just one of them and both my wife & I are going to the party tonight... will drop the tanks off at the shop tonight and pick them up tomorrow for a morning dive or two... hopefully i can find a bug or two that hasn't been picked over and is legal...
my 11 yr old niece is going down with my wife's cousin down to the keys for mini-season out of florida bay. better chance of finding a bug or two.. good luck to her.. hopefully we can actually get her into the water this time.... she refused to when we went swimming with the manatees up in crystal river. :)

---------- Post added July 29th, 2014 at 01:50 PM ----------

and a side note to this all --- Mini-season & regular season apply only to the Spiny Lobster - not the spotted or slipper lobsters. Egg-Bearing females of all species are still prohibited.

I'm ready!

had a great time at the bug-fest kick-off party.........signed up for the lobster competition and got a goody bag filled with lots of stuff well worth the price.........only got 5 legal lobsters off the beach....will try again after work today..............how about you guys and dolls?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom