Buford Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Jackson1

Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone ever dove Buford Sink? I was wondering if anyone who has could show it to me sometime. I hear it is difficult or impossible to find if you have never been there.

I've heard it is difficult to find even with directions. Anyone want to dive it with me?

Ed:

In yukoneer's link, I saw Bert Wilcher made several posts. Since Mary Ann just did her Intro to Cave with him, how about giving him a call. He can probably give you some inside information/directions or may even go with you.

Doug

Its not too hard to find as there are ribbons marking the way, but still best to go with someone who knows the site. It is a long walk down the tram road, and plan on doing it after a good period of no rain so the swamp is somewhat "dry". Its a nice dive and worth the effort...

I have never dove it , but I have gotten 1st hand information from people who have.
It can be VERY DIFFICULT to access if the area is wet. You have a tendency to SINK into the muck while carrying your gear.
I wouldn't want to carry a set of doubles over that ground while it's soggy , from what I hear.
Hmmm...Maybe my double 50's might work though. :wink:

I'll wait for the Film at 11 PM myself !!! :D

But that being said , once you get in and dive it , the cavern is supposed to be spectacular (or so I have heard)

Jeano Beano

I just dove it a couple of weeks ago and the swamp has been pretty dry, I still sunk up over my ankles a couple of times. The dive is spectacular but Mike is right, it's best to go with someone who has been there before.

Like others have said, it is well worth it, that cavern is spectacular.

Chris

Is it just a cavern?

Would it be ok for an experienced diver (albeit not a cave diver - I don't plan to penerate any caves) to go dive there with an AL80? how many people can fit in the cavern at the same time (so I have a buddy with me)?

Cavern and some portions are cave although not extensive cave. Due to the remoteness and inacessability I think a minimum level of cavern would be needed. Do web search on Buford Sink and you'll see some good videos of the cavern. It'll give you and idea of just how large it is.

I was told by several divers who have dove the site that it's very difficult to access in the summer months due to the mud, distance and critters. Easier to carry a single tank with H valve than doubles but for something that big and nice I would want the extra gas for looking around.

I would like to do a dive there soon before the rains start.

:wink:
yukoneer:
Is it just a cavern?

Would it be ok for an experienced diver (albeit not a cave diver - I don't plan to penerate any caves) to go dive there with an AL80? how many people can fit in the cavern at the same time (so I have a buddy with me)?

Lets do a dive there with aluminum 80s. H valve and two regulators are not necessary since you will have a buddy and not be going into a cave.

The aluminum 80s will be easier to carry. There's no reason to go deep. I've heard that it is only a cavern so you would be fine. Like I said there is no reason to go deep.

If anyone wants to go give me a call 813 679 5558

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom