Buford Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversolo:
There's a great article in issue #21 of ADM on Buford written by Curt himself including a map of the sink. Can't remember if it has directions or not. I'll see if I can dig out my copy of it and check.

Just dug it out and reread it. No directions, but that shouldn't be a problem, as several posters have offered assistance. I remember reading the article when it came out and hadn't thought much of it since then, but after rereading it, I'd love to dive it sometime. If some of y'all are going to get together and dive it (cavern or better only, please), let me know and I'll be there. I know the run goes to the gulf, but it's only a foot deep or so depending on the season; I wonder if there is any way to get a kayak in there...even if just to pile gear on and use as a water sled.

Buford only runs a couple of hundred feet to Little Gator Siphon, which goes to 180 ft. Everything else surrounding it for hundreds of yards is just plain ole bad ***** Fl. swamp.

No way to get anything back there but a small hand truck and that's a royal pain as the tramway is decent walk.

Warm spring which is a short distance away runs toward the Gulf but also goes into a siphon before re-emerging as a spring leading directly to the Gulf.

Chris

I'd like to get a couple of dives in at Buford before the rainy season hits and makes access a lot less fun. I'm thinking of this Friday, though nothing in stone yet. Anyone available for a Friday dive? I'm gonna take the day off work to drive up there...too hectic on the weekends with the kids and the never ending honey do list.

diversolo:
I'd like to get a couple of dives in at Buford before the rainy season hits and makes access a lot less fun. I'm thinking of this Friday, though nothing in stone yet. Anyone available for a Friday dive? I'm gonna take the day off work to drive up there...too hectic on the weekends with the kids and the never ending honey do list.

Awww....c'mon. It'll be fun!:D

diversolo:

Well...couldn't make it Friday due to some last minute work obligations. I'm gonna try again on Monday. Anyone want to play hooky with me and dive what has been described as the second best cavern in the state after Wakulla? I'll even drive and pay for gas if you're not too far off the I-75 corridor and North of Port Charlotte. I'm leaving P.C. by 0500, hoping to miss most of the Tampa traffic, getting up there by 0800 or so. Hopefully it will warm up enough by 0900 to make it a nice dive.

Ed Jackson1:
I've heard it is difficult to find even with directions. Anyone want to dive it with me?

Well, I did manage to find it. It was hard even with directions. GPS was iffy due to the tree canopy. Once I found it, the dives were certainly worth it. Will post a dive report with pics a little later once I get the kids to bed.

I was just noticing that many said this would be a great dive before the rains start and since we are dry as a bone around here... I see DiverSolo went and had a great time (judging from report in another thread). Maybe some of you want to make some plans?

It should again be pointed out that this is a small, delicate site. It has already been impacted by numerous divers that are not cavern/cave certified and apparently have poor skills. It is not compatible with large groups of divers. If you don't have the requisite certification/experience, please help promote responsible stewardship of this site and choose to dive elsewhere.
This is not directed at anyone in particular, just a general statement.

No worries, I think it is good advice. I wasn't thinking me anywho. The salt runs thick in my blood :D Just thinking of others, since we have been so very dry here in FL. Seems it would be a prime time to go for some that have it at the top of their list.

aue-mike:
It should again be pointed out that this is a small, delicate site. It has already been impacted by numerous divers that are not cavern/cave certified and apparently have poor skills. It is not compatible with large groups of divers. If you don't have the requisite certification/experience, please help promote responsible stewardship of this site and choose to dive elsewhere.
This is not directed at anyone in particular, just a general statement.

I agree. This site is one of the last pristine sites in Florida. Cavern certification is probably not enough. Basic cave or apprentice should be the minimum. Full cave if you want to be extra responsible.

Do'nt do this. It can last decades.

http://cavediver.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6414&cat=500&page=1

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom