Budget Scuba Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whoever gave you that list for Honduras is talking about the MAINLAND, not the islands. When you go diving in Honduras it is to the islands and most people fly in directly to Roatan. There is no reason to have all those shots to go to Roatan. If you are in good health and use bug spray, you are cutting the risk way down, too.

Except for Yellow Fever which I've decided against, that list is straight from the CDC and includes Roatan.

Health Information for Honduras | CDC Travelers' Health

Not that the CDC is always right (H1N1 misinformation for example) but I would think there is a reason to get those shots...

Except for Yellow Fever which I've decided against, that list is straight from the CDC and includes Roatan.

Health Information for Honduras | CDC Travelers' Health

Not that the CDC is always right (H1N1 misinformation for example) but I would think there is a reason to get those shots...
Yeah, I am sure that the Roatan resorts are much safer than Honduran mainland for such, but the preventative meds & vaccines are good ideas. And as I suggested, Hep A & B are good ideas for living in the US, much less travel.

I wonder how much worse H1N1 would have been had the CDC not taken action? I had it before the vaccines got here, even tho I thot I probly had old immunities from decades ago - or maybe in spite of, and it was no fun at all. Worst flu case I've ever had, even tho this one is supposedly worse on the young adults. They're certainly not always right, but they danged sure know more than I do.

If there was a vaccines for Dengue, I'd get that too.

DandyDon , I second you thoughts .
My bout with Dengue last year was the worst illness I have fought . It lasted 4 weeks and another 4 to re-group . Drug companies are working now to produce a vaccine . The first one out with an approved vaccine will net a very nice profit for the company .

The sandflies on Roatan are nasty , very nasty .

I am surprised you got H1N1 , I too thought guys like us were too old...Hmmm

As someone posted, Boynton Beach. Not as tourist driven as the Carib, but with Miami a short drive for the nightlife and cheap flights to FTL it can be a very inexpensive vacation. Even better diving with Kevin at Underwater Explorers or similar operation is often cheaper than the Carib. One of the better dive destinations in the region and stacks up against all but the most spectacular dive destinations.

DandyDon , I second you thoughts .
My bout with Dengue last year was the worst illness I have fought . It lasted 4 weeks and another 4 to re-group . Drug companies are working now to produce a vaccine . The first one out with an approved vaccine will net a very nice profit for the company .

The sandflies on Roatan are nasty , very nasty .

I am surprised you got H1N1 , I too thought guys like us were too old...Hmmm
Yeah, wish there was a vaccine for Denuge. More Deet! I read about a program there to control mosquitoes, involving twice daily misting of permethrin - an insecticide that kills insects with minimal environment, but does kill a broad range of insects.

From http://www.bayislandsvoice.com/issue-v2-14.htm
Island Environmental Products (IEP) run by Bob Kable has been offering mosquito control to Roatanians for over a year. "There are tourists who would like to live on Roatan but can't because of the insect bites and the constant threat of malaria and dengue," said Kable.
In its mosquito control method, IEP uses a 100% natural flower extract (permethrin) that is safe to humans and approved by EPA. "It breaks down the bug's system on contact," says Bob Kable. Mosquitoes, sand flies and even fleas, ants, spiders and bees are killed and, unlike with other chemicals, do not develop a resistance to permethrin over time.
It may well have been synthesized from that flower, but it's produced as a synthetic. I've used it for years commercially to control pests in cotton fields, to hand spray around vegetable gardens, and once to spay an old cat I couldn't catch but was badly infested with fleas - and he was much better the next day.

As someone posted, Boynton Beach. Not as tourist driven as the Carib, but with Miami a short drive for the nightlife and cheap flights to FTL it can be a very inexpensive vacation. Even better diving with Kevin at Underwater Explorers or similar operation is often cheaper than the Carib. One of the better dive destinations in the region and stacks up against all but the most spectacular dive destinations.
I don't think there is a FTL in the airline system. The code for Ft. Lauderdale is FLL if you want to book to there.

Rider,

For our quick winter getaways from Minneapolis, we go to Key Largo. The flights from MSP to Miami area are in the 200.00 to 300.00 range.

I know isn't cool as going to a foreign destination, but for a quick relief from our nice winter weather that is where we runaway for 3 day weekend diving.

Rider,

For our quick winter getaways from Minneapolis, we go to Key Largo. The flights from MSP to Miami area are in the 200.00 to 300.00 range.

I know isn't cool as going to a foreign destination, but for a quick relief from our nice winter weather that is where we runaway for 3 day weekend diving.
Fargo by way of Minneapolis, one connection starting at (altho you will want to stay longer)...!

1z3ow0l.jpg

rv8qo0.jpg

With other airlines similarly priced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom