Budget, but not sleaze - Big Apple ? Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of great tips that hadn't showed up in previous searches, thanks !

Two questionz though,

1. no one has commented on Big Apple ? Anyone stayed there ?

2. Can you negotiate a better rate than the published fare either through email or when showing up ? In my experience elsewhere, you can usually do better, unless you are arriving at a very busy time, I'm looking at arriving July 5th, a Monday, during the low season for a week plus..........any chance of some of these places offering a discount ? so far via email the responses have matched the web prices..........

Thanks !

Not stayed at the Big Apple (or anywhere else on PG), but at the moment it's my first choice & will be making a booking very soon for March next year. Tried to negotiate a better rate via e-mail - I want to book 2 rooms - both for 10 nights, but no discount :idk:

Longer stays usually will save you quite a bit. I asked at the cottages next to Laguna beach club and he droped the price to 500 a night for a months stay.
During low season just show up. I had 3 different places to look at. I gave my "requirement" to Mark at Searider via text on the ferry going over for a clean, safe, ocean view, wifi, price range not to exceed $35 US and he came thru.

Here it is....
I used to use Sabang Inn for ALL of my trips with the exception of IDC. It was under previous managemnt.....not sure about the new crew. I do know I enjoyed every minute I stayed there. The price is fair and the rooms are fine. If you are taking a friend I hope she dives! It can be boring for a non-diver friend.

When I first dived in Puerta Galera 2 years ago I stayed at Big Apple and moved out after my first night. The room was horrible perhaps the dingiest I ever stayed in.. The light in the room seemed to have a 5 watt bulb, it was musty, lousy bed and full of mozzies. However I do suspect that some of the rooms are better than others. The cottages (where I stayed) were not the best but some of the other rooms have those sliding doors that are closer to the pool. I would not recommend it though. What I usually do is make a booking for the first night then if I'm not entirely happy go check out other places between dives assuming of course its not high season. First year I stayed at Villa Sabang but they weren't taking bookings last december when I went back due to change of ownership. I then wandered next door to Sabang Inn and found that gem of a room.

Big apple is fine for hanging out at the bar its not sleazy at all, the food is hit or miss though but the coffee is decent.

If you do make a booking at Sabang Inn upgrade for a few extra pesos to the larger room and ask for one facing the ocean at the front. The pool is relatively small but so are all the others in sabang. They also do breakfast in the morning.

Not stayed at the Big Apple (or anywhere else on PG), but at the moment it's my first choice & will be making a booking very soon for March next year. Tried to negotiate a better rate via e-mail - I want to book 2 rooms - both for 10 nights, but no discount :idk:

Sabang Inn is now looking like my first choice :cool2: - for 10 nights I can get the Superior rooms at 1250php - reduced from 1500php.

If you do make a booking at Sabang Inn upgrade for a few extra pesos to the larger room and ask for one facing the ocean at the front. The pool is relatively small but so are all the others in sabang. They also do breakfast in the morning.

@ limirl - have you got any room numbers for the rooms you recommend & are they the Deluxe or Superior rooms ?

Any other recommendations for budget rooms ?

I booked at Sabang Inn, will be there next week ! Daniel was very responsive to emails and the price is in my budget.

Thanks !

I don't remember the room numbers, but I remember Daniel was the guy I dealt with, he's really young but extremely helpful. I had the room on the ground level at the far right. Hope it works out for you, the price was great. I have no info on the budget rooms. Post a review when you get back okay.

Back
Top Bottom