Buddy missing on surface - What would you have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I met up with two other divers at a popular practice hole across the state line to descend as a trio to the 81 ft bottom. I've dived with one several times before, the other as part of a group tour to Belize - saw both of them as multi-card vacation divers who should know what they're doing. I try to avoid my nature of wanting to tell them what I think we should do, and respected their training and experiences enough (they'd both done this hole several times before) enough to just participate in group discussion of the dive plan.

I don't like diving trios, as that's twice as many buddies for me to watch, but we did our gear checks and went in for what was supposed to be a simple practice dive. With the 5,000 ft elevation, we adjusted the time limit accordingly. Two lessons I did pickup from the experience that I'll mention now:
1-I wrote on my slate in indelible pen "Please stay close" so I'll remember show it to buddies on future diving planning, advising I may point to it later if I feel a need, also as a reminder in case the other(s) are casual about that. Not had that problem with these either of these two before, but - the dive site is viewed a bit boring to all 3 of us, a feeling to change in this story.
2-We had a very interested and willing bubble-watcher along, and I should have suggested "Okay, let's pretend she is the boat crew and give her our okay signals before descending and after surfacing" as well as explaining to the watcher to return okays, or call for help if she saw a waving diver. On the next trip there, this watcher was now a paper carded newbie, and we did use both of these ideas, the latter adjusted - "remember to signal each other before and after the dive."

At the bottom, the other two seemed causal about staying in good buddy contact, and I recall feeling uncomfortable about trying to keep both close as I shot a few pics with my new strobe. This was supposed to be a practice and check any new gear dive, with two experienced divers! We did get the trio tighter tho, swam around a bit. No one told me when they hit 1500# (added that to my permanent slate list too) but one of them did signal when he hit 1000# and we started our slow ascent, 1 minute stop at 40 ft, 3 minutes or more below 12 ft, but then we got separated by an OW class doing skills on the lines. I kept looking around, but felt we'd made it that far together, so I wasn't very concerned that time. I am more intent on that now, with the permanent request on my slate for a point-to communication.

On the surface, I signaled my usual buddy who signaled okay back, but didn't' see the other?! I looked around again, looked to the bubble watcher asking where is so-and-so but I know now she didn't understand what I said and her "I don't know" signal was conveying that. At the time I thought she didn't know where he was. (see above lessons noted)

Having 700# in my back tank, 3000# in my 19 cf pony with both spgs easy to reach, and a computer well within the green zone - my reaction was to tell usual buddy I was going back to search. I did not feel good about it, but then who would feel good the moment. I felt less comfortable later, and worked on prevention of ever repeating the problem, but have decided to ask other trained and experienced divers - what would you have done at the moment...??

I did a quick search of the 60 ft diameter bottom, then started a circling ascent, with another safety stop and exit with the pony nearly dry, my back tank with 450#. Having not found him in the hole, I left the water to check the parking lot before callng out, and then learned from the bubble watcher that the missing diver was at his car. He didn't say much, nor did I - as I wanted to cool my temper for a while before speaking, but he loaded up and left the site before I did - 200 miles back, skipping the other planned dives.

Yep, it was a continuation of the dive when I descended again - realized that at the time and did so only after checking my computer which was quite happy - well within the green. For the record, 700# in an 80 cf tank should be plenty for a diver to make a somewhat safe ascent from 80 ft, in addition to the 3000# 19 cf I used for the bounce - so yes, I did have backup gas to ascend if the other source failed. I had the pony gauge in one hand for the entire time I used it. Not defending the action, but clarifying that I did have the equivalent of 1450# for the extension of the dive.

Again, it was a spur of the moment reaction to search for a missing buddy - with 1450#, a happy computer, dive light in one hand and spg in the other, ending with a safety stop. I did not feel good about it at the time, less so afterwards.

I would have started by not rushing to conclusions and making a dangerous (yes, dangerous, if you don't see why, you probably shouldn't be diving) bounce dive to find a diver that I only believe to be missing.

In your previous post on the other thread, you said you asked around. Now you say you asked your buddy and your bubble watcher. Buddy didn't see him, bubble watcher gave an unclear answer. So naturally, you decided to conduct a solo search and rescue mission. Why would we want to alarm the more experienced and qualified divers in the area that there may be a missing diver. That would be silly, right?

Stop. Breathe. Think. Act.

Four words they drill into your head in Rescue class. I see one of these words that describes what happened in your story above, and I would have to put a "re" before using that word. Hint - the word I am thinking of isn't "rethink," "rebreathe," or "restop."

What alarms me is that in it's original telling, this story was brought up as an example of how emergencies happen, but you don't seem to recognize how close you came to turning it into a double emergency. Possibly tripple, if your other buddy noticed you didn't come back and decided to follow your example and go in after you.

So this guy just passed on the second dive and drove home with hardly a word? My guess would be he was upset about something. maybe there is more to this story?

ianr33:
So this guy just passed on the second dive and drove home with hardly a word? My guess would be he was upset about something. maybe there is more to this story?

My guess is, upset about impending rant from Don about how he had to go back to 80 ft on a 19cf pony and 700# of backgas.

Of course, Don didn't have to do any such thing, but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story...

ianr33:
Nope - he'd been informed that I had gone back down to search for him, and I guess he realized his screw up, and whether he felt remorse or just didn't want to be around when I did speak - he left.

We trade at the same Lds, where I'm continuing training, so I suppose our pathes will cross again.

But thanks for a reasonable post. I am going to ignore any I see as otherwise.

And again - I am not going to try to defend my actions, but ask for "what would you do" responses.

DandyDon:
Nope - he'd been informed that I had gone back down to search for him, and I guess he realized his screw up, and whether he felt remorse or just didn't want to be around when I did speak - he left.

We trade at the same Lds, where I'm continuing training, so I suppose our pathes will cross again.

But thanks for a reasonable post. I am going to ignore any I see as otherwise.

And again - I am not going to try to defend my actions, but ask for "what would you do" responses.

ROTFLMAO

Stop.

Breathe.

Think.

Act.

If those steps weren't followed, the rest was a SNAFU from the start.

According to what you wrote above, and contrary to what your first telling implied, you only asked for help from your other buddy and your bubble watcher. There was an OW class going on at the surface when you got there. OW class = instructors = far more qualified people to enact a rescue than yourself.

This doesn't tell you enough of what I think you should have done? If not, you need to work on your reading comprehension.

IMO, you made the wrong decision.

Don,

What was the Viz like? Just out of curiosity...

I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing, as long as I had time on the dive as far as NDL's go. I would have probably gone back to look as well.

Also, Who (if anyone) had the flag? If I was with a somewhat less experienced person, I think I would make them tow the flag and/or lead, because it's easier to keep an eye on people from behind. This way, you can also sound gallant, and be like, "hey... how about you lead."

Sounds to me like this dive was a bad one from the start: 1.) You don't like triple buddy dives, but went anyway. 2.) It was intended to be a new gear check dive (with people focused on playing with their equipment) but you had an expectation that everybody was going to be closely watching out for each other as well. 3.) The dive was performed in the midst of a bait-ball of newbie divers (being a newbie myself, I can attest to the mass confusion that occurs there).

I think it was probably foolhardy to proceed with the dive in the first place, given the stated conditions.

This is something like the third near miss I've read from you in the very few weeks I've been on the board, Don. Wow! Forgive me if I don't adopt you as a role model :wink:

What is done is done, although a similar situation happened to me, there were four of us. Two buddy teams that dove together. Three of us were from the same shop, and had dove together previously, the fourth was from another shop and needed a buddy. We went and saw the sights, and ended the dive back near the entrance platform. We were all doing our 15' stop, watching incoming divers, hunting crawfish for the bass, and generally waiting for everybody's timers to count down. My buddy and I were the last to surface, and while standing at the entrance ramp, asked the other diver where the fourth guy was. His response was, I don't know, I turned to check his count down and he was gone. (enter mild expletive here) We sent him up to check the gearing up area while my buddy and I checked the other divers in the area (from the surface) Diver number 3 came back and let us know that diver number 4 was at the picnic tables....he just left when his countdown was over.

He hasn't dived with us since, and my buddy and I were getting ready to do an immediate area underwater search when we got word he was halfway undressed already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom