Buddy bored or thrilled with marine life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Squirt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
On my last dive, for the first time my buddy was a complete stranger. During the briefing it turned out he was quite experienced but hadn't dived in the Gulf of Thailand before, and didn't seem to recognise most of the dangerous beasties the Dive Master was telling us to watch out for.

During 2 dives, I tried to point out all the animals we have been fascinated by, including my personal favourite, tiny jorunna nudibranchs perched on a braincoral next to their tiny rosette egg ribbon. My buddy just gave me nonchalant "OK" - I thought, Jeez, what does it take to impress this guy? Then I showed him a carpet eel blenny poking it's nose out from between two magnificent anemones. Same casual "OK" response. I was perplexed - had he seen all these things before or what?

I was having doubts about my "tour guide" abilities, until back on the boat, he was raving about all the stuff I'd shown him, and told the Divemaster I was the best buddy he'd ever had. My question is, how on earth can you tell if your buddy's reactions are boredom or interest? It was quite frustrating, and I was even starting to get a bit cheesed off - I was hoping for a "WOWEEE - Cor Blimey" signal something! There must be one!

It's really hard to show emotion underwater. Other than pumping your fists, or going bug-eyed, how would he show you that he was excited? My buddy and I have some home-made hand signals that kind of convey this, but even then it looses something in the translation!

BTW, welcome to the board!

If Sea Squirt and I are buddies we don't have a problem communicating because we know each other so well. We're also teaching ourselves sign language so we can (attempt to) have complete conversations underwater and annoy the hell out of our diving companions! But it's true - it's so difficult to convey your emotions to others - one of our instructors always thinks we are really bored when were are actually amazed by what he is showing us.

Maybe someone can invent an 'emotion-sensitive' mask that changes colour according to what you're feeling? Hmmmm...... now that's an idea!

Yes I forgot to mention our other instructor who howls like a banshee when she sees something she really wants to share with us! Quite unnerving the first time you experience it!

You show me something I haven't seen before, and I will be impressed.... and you will have no doubt that I am.

I've been know to possitively squeal u/w! Apparently my eyes do quite a number too (I've never seen them so how would I know).

Take me diving girl.... and you'll know when I'm impressed. Now I were take you take you diving, I have a feeling, I'll know how you can (or cannot is probably closer to the truth), handle the brisk temps of the temps around here.:D

I "pump" the ok signal, or show a double ok using both hands.
My bride takes the regulator out of her mouth and gives me a big grin.
My oldest daughter squeals with obvious delight.
My baby (12) is at the age where she dare not be impressed with anything the old man shows her, so the best I can hope for is a casual ok...
Rick

Diving Gal

Sadly I'm a "cold" water wimp. Even in a 3mm wetsuit in 27celsius water I'm usually shivering like a jelly after a dive

Originally posted by Sea Squirt
Diving Gal

Sadly I'm a "cold" water wimp. Even in a 3mm wetsuit in 27celsius water I'm usually shivering like a jelly after a dive

Somehow -- don't ask me how -- I figured you would be (something to do with your current location "Thailand"). Here's a hint, don't try diving here unless you bundle up in a drysuit. I really, really don't want to do a deep water rescue.

That is a tough thing I have found that most divers either grin give the OK or nothing, when underwater. As you found out it was the SI that the real talking went about. Talking a little before the dive helps, disscusing a special sign is a good idea.

Thanks for the comments. I usually find myself saying "WOW" and then realising my buddy can't actually hear it, so I do a kind a pump action arm thing! The whole SI "did you see that...what was that..." interaction must be one of the things I enjoy the most about diving, apart from the actual diving, of course!

Diving Gal
Here's a hint, don't try diving here unless you bundle up in a drysuit.
NO FEAR, mate! Have a rather slanted view of Canada since a friend of mine in Montreal told me you have to watch out for falling icicles while walking down the street- winters in Europe were bad enough. My mental image of cold water diving is something like The Big Blue/ Jean-Marc Barr in that frozen lake in the Andes....claustrophobia and bone chilling! Although I'm sure that's not quite what it's like!

Back
Top Bottom