Bucket List Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:hm: I guess we all have different bench marks below 8 C 47F is my dividing point for Cold water diving during summer months. I consider our water range from 15C 59F to 21C 69.8F to bridge the "temperate to warm range" Above is Tropical and some of that water is actually TOO WARM!

What do you wear in 50 degree F water?

5 mil a sharkskin vest and hood. 5/7 mil would be nicer but I don't own one. I have had to borrow one to dive Canadian Lakes :) I have a bit of bioprene tho :blush:

I've seen some amazing videos of Ice diving, Alaskan diving and diving off BC Washinton coasts. I am just not sure I am dedicated to go to all the necessary stuff Drysuit diving entails. I have a biase for warmer water.

In our summer warmer temps I tend to just dive here in a Sharskin. I hate all the constriction of the heavy gear. I confess to muttering and complaining here in the winter when I start having to wear my 5 mil :blush:

Wearing a 5 mil in 47-50 degree water has to suck and be miserable regardless of personal tolerance. What are they 15-20 min dives? That's drysuit water.

naw those water temps I borrowed a 7 mil. dive times 60 minutes. I confess the coldest I goton a dive was locally. We had acold current come in from the Antartic at Christmas time. A few days earlier comfy 21C 69.8F in my sharkskin. Did a stride off a rock platform int 15C 59F :cold: By the time we got to the exit point nearly 90 minutes later I was starting to shiver and had numb patches on my feet. I really should have speeded up more to get to the exit. You can't get back out where we got in:( That is one dive I would not like to do again:doh: live and learn.

We did find a colony of Pygmy Pipehorse, a couple Weedy seadragons, a Red Indian fish, Undescribed angler fish and the ususal suspects. We do have a lot of bucket list worthy critters here :)

Sydney has a heap to offer in terms of Bucket List worth things both below and above the water line :) The great thing about Sydney diving is that you can do an amazing number of shore dives here too. Don't tell the rest of the world tho... some of our sites are already too busy for my liking during the tourist seasons.

naw those water temps I borrowed a 7 mil. dive times 60 minutes. I confess the coldest I goton a dive was locally. We had acold current come in from the Antartic at Christmas time. A few days earlier comfy 21C 69.8F in my sharkskin. Did a stride off a rock platform int 15C 59F :cold: By the time we got to the exit point nearly 90 minutes later I was starting to shiver and had numb patches on my feet. I really should have speeded up more to get to the exit. You can't get back out where we got in:( That is one dive I would not like to do again:doh: live and learn.

We did find a colony of Pygmy Pipehorse, a couple Weedy seadragons, a Red Indian fish, Undescribed angler fish and the ususal suspects. We do have a lot of bucket list worthy critters here :)

Sydney has a heap to offer in terms of Bucket List worth things both below and above the water line :) The great thing about Sydney diving is that you can do an amazing number of shore dives here too. Don't tell the rest of the world tho... some of our sites are already too busy for my liking during the tourist seasons.
Well, the cat's out of the bag now!
Sydney is officially on my bucket list.
I dive in 47-48 degree water with a 7mm no problem, so whatever you got down there I can take.
If the water gets colder than that I have a commercial 1/2" two piece beaver tail suit used by urchin divers.

!5 is bloomin cold for Sidney diving. I dive summer in the sharkskin and winter in a one piece 5mil quite comfy. some do dive dry here. all in what you are used to.

How can creatures like these NOT be on your Bucket List? Note the second pic, when you click on it.. there are two Pygmy Pipehorse in the pic oops on second look there are four but you have to have the 'Eye" for spotting these tiny critters :). I like to put divers or cameras in the field of view for perspective sometimes :) All of these taken at our favourite shore dive location.

527C-489C (Medium).jpg527C-514Cc.jpg531C-843C (Medium).jpg634C-755-J.jpg669C-855 (Medium).jpg

!5 is bloomin cold for Sidney diving. I dive summer in the sharkskin and winter in a one piece 5mil quite comfy. some do dive dry here. all in what you are used to.

How can creatures like these NOT be on your Bucket List? Note the second pic, when you click on it.. there are two Pygmy Pipehorse in the pic oops on second look there are four but you have to have the 'Eye" for spotting these tiny critters :). I like to put divers or cameras in the field of view for perspective sometimes :) All of these taken at our favourite shore dive location.

View attachment 218747View attachment 218748View attachment 218749View attachment 218750View attachment 218751

I was always under the impression that Australia was warm water diving.

I was always under the impression that Australia was warm water diving.
It is a big country! That is like saying the US is cold-water diving because of Alaska and Puget Sound.

Back
Top Bottom