Bucket List Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love Indonesia, but I've discovered that as long as I'm diving (and don't die in the process), I'm happy. No expectations is the secret in my opinion. I'd like to see Komodo and Missool. I want to go back to Layang Layang and Sipadan again. In fact, I'd be happy if the only diving I did for the rest of my life was Layang Layang and Missool.

Where in Indonesia did you go and how does Sipadan compare to Indonesia?

I really don't have much other destinations on my list. I just really hate flying anywhere anymore... hassle, bag drag, crowds, waiting, jetlag... I just don't deal with that well anymore. I am also concerned about safety in some destinations so I have thrown out 80% of my old bucket list. They just aren't appealing to me anymore.

At this point, I am very much into "bucket list" thing and crossing destinations off as time goes by. I would like to die as someone who has seen a lot of oceans. I have a colleague who has been diving since over twenty years and told me that he is done with "bucket list" thing. He will be limiting his dive travel to Philippines only because he is originally from there and most places that he spends money to travel to are inferior diving.

Made me think ...hmmm

Would I be a happier diver if I dove the entire bucket list? Or would I be a happier diver if I could figure out the one or two best destinations in that list and dove em again and again?

Do a representative sample; dive enough to know your options, then milk your favorite. Sounds like what your buddy did. None of us will ever make it to everywhere. Just a thought. At what point does the reliable joy of the familiar outweigh the thrill of new adventure?

Antarctica. Especially in the ultra-clear water near the end of winter.

At this point, I am very much into "bucket list" thing and crossing destinations off as time goes by. I would like to die as someone who has seen a lot of oceans. I have a colleague who has been diving since over twenty years and told me that he is done with "bucket list" thing. He will be limiting his dive travel to Philippines only because he is originally from there and most places that he spends money to travel to are inferior diving.

Made me think ...hmmm

Would I be a happier diver if I dove the entire bucket list? Or would I be a happier diver if I could figure out the one or two best destinations in that list and dove em again and again?

I was really into the Bucket List thing for many years.
Palau was at the top of list.... and we did it. It met EVERY expectation and more. Best diving ever, hands down.
NC wrecks was on the list...... did 2 days there, not enough IMHO but weather sucked that week. Might go back.
I really wanted to dive in California, see the kelp and garibaldis, dive an oil rig.... did all of those, had a blast. Great diving.
Several other exotic places were on the list.... but I have been bored on a few dive trips lately. Yes, really got bored and ended a few dives early saying "okay, been there, now what".
I don't ever want to go on another dive trip that dissappoints me and makes me think we wasted our money and time.
I know of a few places that I am guaranteed GREAT dives every dive, and won't feel cheated out of my $$$. I will return to those over the unknown.

You will get there one day.... wondering why you did a trip, spent all that money, just to say you were there.

Laconic is the Belize Blue Hole really all marketing? I guess I will take that one off the list. How does Belize compare to Bonaire or Coz? Belize seems expensive for 2 dives a day or a liveaboard.

I think it is. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go to Belize, though! From Turneffe I got 3-4 dives a day, and most of it fantastic. (Elbow is one of my favorite sites, and I saw it pop up on a list of people's favorite sites recently.)

I can't compare to Bonaire (always looks like a hassle to get to from Chicago) or Coz (rather go to the Riviera Maya if I'm heading that way).

I was really into the Bucket List thing for many years.
Palau was at the top of list.... and we did it. It met EVERY expectation and more. Best diving ever, hands down.
NC wrecks was on the list...... did 2 days there, not enough IMHO but weather sucked that week. Might go back.
I really wanted to dive in California, see the kelp and garibaldis, dive an oil rig.... did all of those, had a blast. Great diving.
Several other exotic places were on the list.... but I have been bored on a few dive trips lately. Yes, really got bored and ended a few dives early saying "okay, been there, now what".
I don't ever want to go on another dive trip that dissappoints me and makes me think we wasted our money and time.
I know of a few places that I am guaranteed GREAT dives every dive, and won't feel cheated out of my $$$. I will return to those over the unknown.

You will get there one day.... wondering why you did a trip, spent all that money, just to say you were there.

Now THAT is an interesting perspective. I wonder how many other people feel this way?

I became a diver to explore a new environment. It is the same spirit that causes me to seek new places to dive that would be different from the previous one. I did Utila and Bonaire and will be doing Roatan next month followed by Cozumel. That should be the end of Caribbean diving for me and then it is the Red Sea or California kelp or Browning Pass. I don't think I will regret going to places. I may regret why I did not choose locations that are cheaper and closer than those far off priced ones. If that is what you meant by the above then yes ... I can see that can happen someday.

From Turneffe I got 3-4 dives a day, and most of it fantastic

I want to dive with the whale sharks (full moon in spring) and thought Glover's Atoll was the place to go. Is Turneffe Atoll a better bet?

I want to dive with the whale sharks (full moon in spring) and thought Glover's Atoll was the place to go. Is Turneffe Atoll a better bet?

I don't think so. They told me they only get whale sharks rarely, maybe seeing one every couple of years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom