Bubble Gradient Model Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kettle

Reaction score
Hi, thinking of buying a bubble gradient model dive computer soon, and I need to know which one. I'm after one as cheap as I can get, but not dodgy. The cheapest I have found so far is a Suunto Mosquito for $720 Australian dollars. What do you guys think?

I have a Stinger and like it a lot. More money than the Mosquito but has a stainless case and a more durable crystle. You might want to look at some of Suunto's other models as well. The Vyper and Favor S might be pretty comparable in price.

John

I've got a Mosquito and a Cobra. They are feature packed and either would be a choice you'd vbe very happy with. It depends if you want integrated air or not. I use the Mosquito most of the time as a backup on dive trips. I don;t want to loose track of my profile if the cobra were to conk out.

Where in AU are you? I leave in August for 1 year to Bateman's Bay in NSW. I excited!

e-mail if you want any more info on the computers.

shep

I might be better to have a look at the LDS to compare some prices, but are there any to stay away from?
I live in QLD, nice and warm water.

Check out the Suunto simulators (flash I think) that show the computers in action. That will give you a good idea of the info displayed.
I went with a Vyper as I didn't think I'd need the 3 gases of the Vytec, and didn't think that the packaging was worth the price for the Stinger. I wanted the guage mode over the free-diving mode of the Mosquito.
The consensus around is that if you properly check out the comps, you will not be dissapointed by whichever Suunto you get.
There are some problems in deco-times with the Uwatec Smart Coms, you can find the details elsewhere but a non-intuitive display for timing is shown when you get into deco.
The Dive-Rite Nitek plus also looks very good, I'd seriously consider getting this if I was into getting a new comp at this time.
Wrist or console is up to you but I find wrist mounted units to be more convenient, but if you're in the habit of losing things, I'd get a console simply to avoid leaving it behind and kicking yourself about your purchase...

Said it before a couple of times, consider the size and readability of the display. I've got the Nitek+ as a backup/timer/watch. Depth & Time displays are okay, but all the small stuff is hard to read.
As a primary I'd choose the Vyper (of the ones you mentioned), costs a bit more than the Mosquito, but worth it as it MUCH easier to read.
Also, if you ever decide to use it as a bottom timer only it'll work as such. The Mosquito won't.

Kettle once bubbled...
Hi, thinking of buying a bubble gradient model dive computer soon, ... The cheapest I have found so far is a Suunto Mosquito/B]
IIRC Suunto is a Haldane based (dissolved gas model) computer that modifies the limits (M-values) based on some fudge factors related to past ascent rates and reverse profiles. In other words, I don't think there are any RGBM calculations or tracking whatsoever of predicted bubble size. The operation is more like "Boy, that guy really blew his ascent rate, he should do a safety stop, and let's reduce his NDLs by 30% for the next 24 hours".

OTOH, I believe there are some companies that have either released, or will soon release dive computers that truly implement RGBM calculations.

Does anyone have reliable info on this?

Charlie

EDIT: p.68 of Vyper manual says M values are tracked up to 100 hours after a dive, not 24 hours as I posted above. "Reduced Gradient (variable) "M" values based upon diving habit and dive violations"

Suunto DOES use the RBGM. It is a variation on the classical Haldane model... it was developed in cooperation with Suunto and Bruce Weinke... (right from the SUUNTO manual)

I tried to paste the info from the back of the vyper manual, but couldnt because its a pdf file...

So, if you want to read it yourself, follow this link, and go to pg. 65 of the vyper user's manual...

http://www.suunto.com/pls/suunto/suunto2.pubmainpage.frameset

Mares is selling the RGBM M1 in Europe. I managed to find a site that had them for about €350 using Google.

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Suunto DOES use the RBGM. It is a variation on the classical Haldane model... it was developed in cooperation with Suunto and Bruce Weinke... (right from the SUUNTO manual)

I tried to paste the info from the back of the vyper manual, but couldnt because its a pdf file...

So, if you want to read it yourself, follow this link, and go to pg. 65 of the vyper user's manual...

http://www.suunto.com/pls/suunto/suunto2.pubmainpage.frameset

suunto doesn't use full up rgbm, its rgbm limiting factors folded onto a haldane model. it is not a true bubble model computer.. if you want to prove it to yourself do a deo dive with a decent amout of required stops.. the shallow stops will have the teltale "tail" at the end of the profile..

to this date there is ONLY ONE full up rgbm computer and thats the explorer.. The RGBM model requires considerably more computing power than the haldane model so faster and more costly preocessors are needed (not to mention considerably shorter battery life)..

the original versions of the explorer only supported the same type of limiting factors suunto uses, but the current model supports both RGBM modified buhlman and full rgbm.. I have had students dive their suunto computers while I was on my explorerat every step of the way I was ahead of them on clearing.. during one dive in particular I had to hang an extra 30 minutes with a student because his computer still wasn't clear.

needless to say he used guage mode the rest of the class..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom