Brownstone Exploration & Discovery Park, CT - Open Invite July 9-10, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel a cold wind blowing!

NOW, back to topic, if I can remember what that is! ALTHOUGH, I only made it on Sunday, which im certain will be a permenant black mark on my record. It really was great to see so many new faces in the crowd. and the folks that I spoke to all seemed to have a good time, and offered to bring others in for a day of diving in the future. All kidding aside, I can't say enough about how safe and well organized these events are. and the brothers Hayes, make it fun as well! Thanks so much for another great dive week end, with some really fun people!

I hope to get there one of these days.

scubajim:
I hope to get there one of these days.
Saturday 16 July Quarry experience Dive. 7am To 12 noon. 10 dollar fee . There will be surface support, Check in staff and Safty staff. As always please feel free to RSVP. Frank.. esi2spy@aol.com. 6:30 Am Gates open . 12:45 Gates closed Home to family.

Middletown Press Article 9 Jul 2005 Announcing Event

PORTLAND -- Organizers are hoping that dozens of divers will descend on -- and into -- the brownstone quarries today as part of a second clean-up weekend.
The clean-up is scheduled to take place on both days from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
A similar effort last month brought up two abandoned cars, a safe -- and more than four tons of "stuff," according to Ed Hayes, who organized the event in the company of his brothers Frank and Sean.
<follow above link for rest of article>

Channel 8 Coverage with Video 10 Jul 2005
Portland-WTNH, July 10, 2005 6:00 PM) _ Three Rocky Hill brothers are hoping to dive into their dream in Portland.
• by News Channel 8's Jodi Latina
Canoers paddle across the fresh water at Brownstone Quarry in Portland but it's divers like Lindsay Oudsema who are on a treasure hunt.
"It's gonna be gorgeous," says Oudsema.
She is one of 100 divers helping Ed Hayes and his brothers realize their dream.
Ed Hayes, Brownstone Exploration and Discovery Park, says, "We want to throw a pebble and watch it bring people to the quarry and let it blossom into the area."
<follow above link for rest of article and video content>

Middletown Press Article 11 Jul 2005
PORTLAND -- For years, the residents of Quarry Heights had the name and the location -- but not the view. Now, after a cleanup this weekend, the residents can see the quarry that gave the senior citizen’s complex its name.
As part of a continuing effort to clean-up the North Quarry, volunteer crews had at the tangle of underbrush and foliage that had grown up wild at the top of a portion the quarry’s east wall.
They uprooted truckloads of thick brush, cut back trees and vines -- and, Edward Hayes said, in more than a few instances, got poison ivy from their efforts.

But because of those efforts, the monument erected by the Portland Historical Society in 1978 to honor three centuries of quarrymen stands proudly atop of wall. And residents who wish to can walk up to a chain-link fence and look out over the quarry, and west toward the Connecticut River and beyond.
<follow above link for rest of article>

MDColson:
Frank - What's the difference between and 'experience dive' and an 'open invite'... Besides the $10?

Mark
The open invites are scheduled around are outreach program to make The residence of Portland and surrounding communities aware of the History. of the Brown Stone Quarry's and the trail systems created by the not for profit BrownStone quarrum and also to make divers from thru out New England aware of the new Dive park we are creating. These are done in conjuction with Rescue Dive Teams/ Conservation Groups/Community Based groups/ The town of Portland and countless volunteers. The main thrust of these days are to cleanup the forty acre trails around the Ct river clean discarded items from the water and clear brush from long forgotten memorials ect. On these days we supplythe food/ Beverages and all the various equipment and supplies needed or it is donated from surrounding businesses. As The Brown Stone Exploration and Discovery Center begins to Develope the Quarries as a state of the Art Training facility for First Responders /rescue Divers /Tec Divers/Rock climbers ect... We will be open on various weekends , the nominal 10 dollar fee forThe Padi Quarry Experience Dive Goes to the Master dive Instructor in order to cover Insurance / staff/ equipment ect ect ect. Hope this helps Any questions esi2spy @aol.com

$10 is fine by me; Dutch Springs charges (if I remember correctly) $22.00 Heck, I can spend $10 (plus) just on gas going down to Ft. Wetherill.

I wasn’t criticizing the $10 fee; the token fee is more than reasonable. I was just wondering how it differed from the previous weekends I had been there - more along the lines of what to expect. Assuming I can get up to Rocky Hill between now and then to get my tanks filled, I’ll be there…

Mark

MDColson:
I wasn’t criticizing the $10 fee; the token fee is more than reasonable. I was just wondering how it differed from the previous weekends I had been there - more along the lines of what to expect. Assuming I can get up to Rocky Hill between now and then to get my tanks filled, I’ll be there…

Mark

Ah, I wasn't commenting on your post. I think that now that the word is out about the place, they're instituting fees to help with the eventual big cleanup costs (like crane rental to get those stacks of cars out).

MDColson:

Mark
I guess the biggest difference is I will be able to get more diving and fishing in and wont be covered in muck...Oh by the way looks like sat and sunday from 6:30 am to around 3PM on sat and Sunday 9AM to 3 pm. My wife had better learn to moe the lawn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom