TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - July 3-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
————————————————————————————————————————————
Want to travel??? Upcoming 2016-2017 vacation trips:

• August 1-6 - Isla Guadalupe & Great White Sharks [ SOLD OUT . . . sort of . . . see below!!! ]
• August 13-20 (WEEK 1) - Isla Mujeres & Whale Sharks, cenotes, and statues [
SOLD OUT!!! ]
• August 20-27 (WEEK 2) - Isla Mujeres & Whale Sharks, cenotes, and statues [ SOLD OUT!!! ]
• November 3-16 - Maldives on the Manthiri
[ ONLY 3 SPOTS LEFT ]
• 2017 - July 7-19 - Yap Immersion #1 (special 13-day trip featuring all that Yap has to offer)
[ LIMITED TO 12 DIVERS - 5 SPOTS LEFT ]
• 2017 - July 21-August 2 - Yap Immersion #2 (week #2 - same sked as above)
[ LIMITED TO 12 DIVERS - 10 SPOTS LEFT ]

GET MORE INFO ON ALL OF OUR VACATION TRIPS HERE: www.reefseekers.com/foreign_trips.html
————————————————————————————————————————————
When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for TWARS to come out slightly early . . .

FESTIVE FOURTH - Hope you're all having a wonderful 4th of July weekend. I thought I'd get this out a bit early today as I'm off to some evening festivities and would rather be early than late. BTW, your fun historical facts about the Declaration of Independence (and I'm sure you recognized my opening riff as a takeoff on the opening lines of the Declaration) include:
• June 28, 1776 - A draft copy is presented to the Continental Congress meeting in Philadelphia. It's then debated for a week and revised
• July 2 - This is the date that the Congress actually/formally declared that the United States was independent of Britain
• July 4 - Congress formally adopts the Declaration of Independence. 24 copies are printed.
• July 6 - The Pennsylvania Evening Post publishes the first newspaper version of the Declaration
• July 8 - The Declaration is read in public officially for the first time
• July 19 - Congress orders the Declaration be signed by the members
• August 2 - Congressional delegates begin signing the Declaration
So if you want to keep celebrating until August 2, you've now got historical data to back you up.

GUADALUPE OPPORTUNITY - Again a reminder that additional spots have opened up on our August 1-6 trip to Isla Guadalupe on the Nautilus Belle Amie, which is easily one of the largest and nicest liveaboards I've ever been on. And if Shark Week didn't inspire you, perhaps a reminder that we're offering a $1,000 discount on this trip (Scuba Show Special extended) will get your juices flowing. Although we've filled our 6 Reef Seekers spots, with the unsold spots with our partners at Ocean Adventures, and unsold spots that the boat itself has, it would seem that this trip is not going to be full to the brim. That's yet ANOTHER reason to go because it means more time can be spent in the submerged shark cages. Additionally, of the two trips we did last year, I thought the August one was the better of the two, not only because of the boat, but also because we seemed to have more sharks on any given dive than we did on our October trip. So there are many,many reasons for you to make yourself a last-minute addition on this trip, the least of which is that you'll come nose-to-nose with nature's Top Predator and that in and of itself is pretty cool. Give us a call at 310/652-4990 to find out more and to get yourself signed up.

LOCAL CONDITIONS - "Varied" would seem to be a good term. Ric Aceves reports wonderful conditions at Farnsworth on Saturday. But Dr. Bill Bushing reports that vis in the Avalon Underwater Park was only running 5-15 feet. The swell seems rather benign (2+ feet at 17 seconds) and on the live HD cam, the park didn't seem too crowded today. The beach cams show Redondo being packed around the Vets Park area but the surf seems low, although it's hard to tell what the viz is. But the bottom line is that it's a gorgeous weekend which will hold through tomorrow so it may be a great time to go out and hit the water. (I still have to wait another week or so because of my cataract surgery back in May.)

NOVEMBER IN THE MALDIVES - If you're thinking of something longer than just a day trip, don't forget about our Maldives trip in November. It's a great place to go dive and the reports we're getting is that the bleaching that's affecting other parts of the world like Australia has not spread to the Maldives. Because of the time to get there as well as the great diving, this will be a 9-day trip to give us a chance to hit all the special spots that make the Maldives a premiere dive destination. We've still got three spots left so if you're interested in chatting more about this, give us a call at 310/652-4990.

GHOST FISH - One of the great things about exploring the ocean is that some 90% of it has never been examined so you've got a chance of discovering something no one's ever seen before. And that happened recently as an ROV from the NOAA ship Okeanos Explorer stumbled across a fish in the Aphyonidae family that's been brought up dead in trawls before, but never seen alive. Now it has. You can check it out here: This Ghostly Fish Has Never Been Seen Alive Before. Until Now..

And that'll do it for now. Have a great remainder of the three-day holiday and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom